News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...evelopment-20180907-p502dv.html?crpt=homepage

A $60 million redevelopment of the Punt Road Oval, which would almost certainly lead to the removal of the Jack Dyer Stand and cement the Tigers’ long-term future next door to the MCG, looks set to be unveiled before the forthcoming state and federal elections.

Richmond’s emergence as a 100,000-member AFL powerhouse club heading towards their second successive preliminary final comes as Tiger bosses are lobbying intensively behind the scenes with a range of senior state and federal government figures to fund a new football hub for the club’s increasingly diverse gender and multicultural profile.

The redevelopment involving a three-way funding split between the federal and state governments and the club would change the face of of one of Melbourne’s best-known and most utilised corners and play a role in the proposed radical overhaul of pedestrian traffic between the MCG and Richmond station.

ea43e2bc00d3b41537b6ab0731721515b69d0fb7

Richmond fans at Punt Road Oval during last year's grand final.

Photo: AAP
Underpinning their bid is that by 2020 the Tigers will house not only AFL and VFL teams at Punt Road but also their AFLW and VFLW teams and the club’s recently introduced Wheelchair team, which was defeated by Collingwood last weekend in the first Victorian Wheelchair League grand final.

It has emerged that 2017 premiership player Bachar Houli and his Islamic Academy, which is to be based at Punt Road and soon to receive a major funding boost from the federal government, have played a pivotal role in the Punt Road plans.

One of the last remaining VFL grandstands, the Dyer Stand was built in 1914 and after a number of renovations was named in honour of the Australian football Hall of Famer "Captain Blood" in 1998.
While not officially heritage listed, the stand has become a significant landmark.

When Tigers CEO Brendon Gale first mooted pulling down the stand earlier this season he conceded widespread consultation including with Dyer’s family would precede any final decision.
Officially tight-lipped regarding the redevelopment, Richmond have handed detailed drawings and proposals to both sides of politics and across several departments both in Canberra and Spring Street.

The redevelopment would see:

• The 104-year-old Jack Dyer Stand removed to make way for new seating, change rooms, community and elite training facilities.
  • Expanded sporting amenities to house Richmond’s AFL, VFL, AFLW, VFLW and recently introduced team in the Victorian Wheelchair Football League.
  • Spectator capacity lifted from 5000 to 8000 with new terracing around Punt Road’s outer wing, under the scoreboard and the north end goals.
  • New lighting to allow for regular VFL and AFLW night fixtures.
  • The expansion of the current training facility, which would also make room for Richmond’s expanding Korin Gamadji Institute and elite athlete and sport science educational partnership with Swinburne.
  • Accommodation for students attending the Melbourne Indigenous Transition School.
  • A facelift for the Swinburne Centre, which would see the unsightly and impractical small windows significantly enlarged.
More here: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...evelopment-20180907-p502dv.html?crpt=homepage

Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...evelopment-20180907-p502dv.html?crpt=homepage

A $60 million redevelopment of the Punt Road Oval, which would almost certainly lead to the removal of the Jack Dyer Stand and cement the Tigers’ long-term future next door to the MCG, looks set to be unveiled before the forthcoming state and federal elections.

Richmond’s emergence as a 100,000-member AFL powerhouse club heading towards their second successive preliminary final comes as Tiger bosses are lobbying intensively behind the scenes with a range of senior state and federal government figures to fund a new football hub for the club’s increasingly diverse gender and multicultural profile.

The redevelopment involving a three-way funding split between the federal and state governments and the club would change the face of of one of Melbourne’s best-known and most utilised corners and play a role in the proposed radical overhaul of pedestrian traffic between the MCG and Richmond station.

ea43e2bc00d3b41537b6ab0731721515b69d0fb7

Richmond fans at Punt Road Oval during last year's grand final.

Photo: AAP
Underpinning their bid is that by 2020 the Tigers will house not only AFL and VFL teams at Punt Road but also their AFLW and VFLW teams and the club’s recently introduced Wheelchair team, which was defeated by Collingwood last weekend in the first Victorian Wheelchair League grand final.

It has emerged that 2017 premiership player Bachar Houli and his Islamic Academy, which is to be based at Punt Road and soon to receive a major funding boost from the federal government, have played a pivotal role in the Punt Road plans.

One of the last remaining VFL grandstands, the Dyer Stand was built in 1914 and after a number of renovations was named in honour of the Australian football Hall of Famer "Captain Blood" in 1998.
While not officially heritage listed, the stand has become a significant landmark.

When Tigers CEO Brendon Gale first mooted pulling down the stand earlier this season he conceded widespread consultation including with Dyer’s family would precede any final decision.
Officially tight-lipped regarding the redevelopment, Richmond have handed detailed drawings and proposals to both sides of politics and across several departments both in Canberra and Spring Street.

The redevelopment would see:

• The 104-year-old Jack Dyer Stand removed to make way for new seating, change rooms, community and elite training facilities.
  • Expanded sporting amenities to house Richmond’s AFL, VFL, AFLW, VFLW and recently introduced team in the Victorian Wheelchair Football League.
  • Spectator capacity lifted from 5000 to 8000 with new terracing around Punt Road’s outer wing, under the scoreboard and the north end goals.
  • New lighting to allow for regular VFL and AFLW night fixtures.
  • The expansion of the current training facility, which would also make room for Richmond’s expanding Korin Gamadji Institute and elite athlete and sport science educational partnership with Swinburne.
  • Accommodation for students attending the Melbourne Indigenous Transition School.
  • A facelift for the Swinburne Centre, which would see the unsightly and impractical small windows significantly enlarged.
More here: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...evelopment-20180907-p502dv.html?crpt=homepage

Bring it, though it’s only a matter of time before we get some melts about losing a dilapidated old stand to help the club move forward into the future

That'll be awesome.
Hope they can reuse the building materials from Jack Dyer stand and repurpose it.

I like this idea, if they can somehow use the materials from the stand that’ll be enough of a nod to the past for me. Can’t halt progress and the future of the club. Another massive tick for the administration.

Not in favour of this, next time you go to pro look at the huge amount of space behind the goals. Develop that first and keep our heritage. There have been way bigger architectural challenges than this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a quality person and footballer Bachar Houli has become for the Richmond Football Club, The Tigers have done a fantastic job with Houli and his ability to unite community sections and really gives credibility to the club in the eyes of the muslim community
I have heard 1st hand how highly the muslim community talk about the tigers and the way we work with Bachar.

Well Done Richmond

Yep. Read the posts above.

Imagine if the mcg kept all its old stands too. It would be a sh-thole. People need to let go.

My childhood is filled with amazing memories of seeing Richmond at the 'G.

But by god, nostalgia can be overrated. Would I want to go back to those wooden slat seats with splinters in your clacker and buttocks so sore afterwards you ached for a week? As much as I'd want to go back to the booze, ciggy smoke, cold pies and the racist, horrid abuse that was shouted.

I should add that I adore looking at the JD stand from the train. It is a beautiful reminder of our history and, for a training venue, was adequate. But if we are to keep ahead of the pack we have to upgrade. I hope some artefacts are retained and are incorporated into a new design. But as I said in a previous thread on this topic, what greater honour could we give Jack Dyer than to name a spankingly great, state-of-the-art stand after him?

OK, I'll admit, I don't want the stand to go.

I also didn't know this, the ground is called The Fearon these days.

41149322_540794289712486_2244057095752122368_o.jpg

I love the old footy stands dotted around Melbourne. They are a part of the City's heritage!

Should be retained.

What's the general feeling of Richmond supporters?
i volunteer to help remove the stand

the xd wagon is on standby and can fit heaps of s**t in the back

Not in favour of this, next time you go to pro look at the huge amount of space behind the goals. Develop that first and keep our heritage. There have been way bigger architectural challenges than this.
Keep the jack dyer stand as is and build the dusty stand at one end of the goals and the cotchy stand at the other end and then the massive richo stand on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back