Recommitted Errol Gulden [Re-Signed to 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

Classic case of the big fish stays, but the smaller fish get squeezed out of the tank.
Sydney will rightly give Gulden a big contract to ward off other offers, but eventually that causes a cap squeeze as they have some other stars that need to be reimbursed accordingly. Eventually it's those second or third tier players that are often let go to accomodate.

Not a bad time to target a less heralded Sydney young player who might be on the cusp of becoming a gun but isn't quite as established.
Can you tell us who we should be targeting from Sydney please?

Last edited:
If you need a ruckman I can highly recommend Peter Ladhams. Or a not-quite-key defender? Aaron Francis. Both SA lads, I believe.

You missed out on Dyl Stephens at the end of last season, and didn’t bite when Will Gould was delivered to your doorstep.

No one else at Sydney worth looking at. All contracted (or soon to be contracted) or duds.

If you need a ruckman I can highly recommend Peter Ladhams. Or a not-quite-key defender? Aaron Francis. Both SA lads, I believe.

You missed out on Dyl Stephens at the end of last season, and didn’t bite when Will Gould was delivered to your doorstep.

No one else at Sydney worth looking at. All contracted (or soon to be contracted) or duds.

They can have the duds too, it'd be recompense for the Dawson theft

Florent & Hayward would fit the bill. Solid senior role players who could get a bigger role & deal elsewhere but are stuck down the pecking order at Sydney for contract size.

If the Crows are serious about Rachele/Rankine/both moving into the midfield, Hayward makes serious sense. Also from SA.

I’d like North to offer overs to Melican too. But probably not a Crows target.

I’d like North to offer overs to Melican too. But probably not a Crows target.
I think they did, at the end of last year. It was thought he was off to them as a free agent. But he elected to stay in Sydney on (I think) just a one year deal. So I think he likes it up here in Sydeney town. I'm not sure watching North right now will make him change his mind. Yes, the sheer weight of talent you have in your midfield suggests it might turn around eventually, but it doesn't look like happening any time soon.

I think they did, at the end of last year. It was thought he was off to them as a free agent. But he elected to stay in Sydney on (I think) just a one year deal. So I think he likes it up here in Sydeney town. I'm not sure watching North right now will make him change his mind. Yes, the sheer weight of talent you have in your midfield suggests it might turn around eventually, but it doesn't look like happening any time soon.
Melican has been ok this year and will be a required player, his final got him another contract

Melican has been ok this year and will be a required player, his final got him another contract
Agree he’s been good. But we either have to bite the bullet and give him a multi year offer or run the risk of another club poaching him. The fact he chose to stay at the end of last season is a good sign (for us) but the risk remains.

Agree he’s been good. But we either have to bite the bullet and give him a multi year offer or run the risk of another club poaching him. The fact he chose to stay at the end of last season is a good sign (for us) but the risk remains.
He had a fair few hamstring injuries, not sure multi year deals were offered

He had a fair few hamstring injuries, not sure multi year deals were offered
There was a rumour North had. I reckon a club has to offer multi year deals to lure a wanted player away, even if the host club only offers one year.

If he makes it through, uninjured, to the halfway point of the year I can see the Swans offering him two years, especially if there is interest from elsewhere.

Imagine if Sydney somehow didn’t match our bid for him in his draft year 😱
Imagine if someone had bid on him before #26 because Swans didn't have the points to match and would have had to go into deficit.

Classic case of the big fish stays, but the smaller fish get squeezed out of the tank.
Sydney will rightly give Gulden a big contract to ward off other offers, but eventually that causes a cap squeeze as they have some other stars that need to be reimbursed accordingly. Eventually it's those second or third tier players that are often let go to accomodate.

Not a bad time to target a less heralded Sydney young player who might be on the cusp of becoming a gun but isn't quite as established.
Warner and McDonald squeezed out to freo would be handy.
We have 4 firsts and taberner to help the transition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think you won't have the same issues?
Jackson is highly paid, Serong will be, Amiss will have his hand out soon
Jackson reported contract 6x 900k
Dons are paying McKay more.
That will be cheap in 25,26,27
Serong is signed up until 2027 future captain and has stated since he first got drafted he wants to be part of Freos first flag if forgoing some cream is to help achieve this I have no doubt he will.
Amiss is signed until 2029 a local lad.
He will be paid less than his open market value most of his career I suspect

Jackson reported contract 6x 900k
Dons are paying McKay more.
That will be cheap in 25,26,27
Serong is signed up until 2027 future captain and has stated since he first got drafted he wants to be part of Freos first flag if forgoing some cream is to help achieve this I have no doubt he will.
Amiss is signed until 2029 a local lad.
He will be paid less than his open market value most of his career I suspect
There was also reports of Jackson at 1.5 mill per season
Darcy got a big contract
Brayshaw gets a big contract
There's no discount

There is no chance in the world he is on 1.5m a year. We have room for one more class player I think. While we bring a few in, we lose just as many unfortunately. We also have every key player except Brayshaw signed up on long deals which makes things cheaper and easier to manage.

We’ve been extremely cheap on players outside the best

There is no chance in the world he is on 1.5m a year. We have room for one more class player I think. While we bring a few in, we lose just as many unfortunately. We also have every key player except Brayshaw signed up on long deals which makes things cheaper and easier to manage.

We’ve been extremely cheap on players outside the best
Yeah, one report said 1.5 mill, others said around 900k.
Either way it's a big contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back