Recommitted Max Holmes [re-signed with Geelong through 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not that you shouldn't have picked him, it's the "How on earth could this happen?!?" rubbish that corresponded with his departure.

Anybody with a hint of knowledge of the situation knew how it was going to go years out.

I'm similar to Art Vandelay_, I'm not from Geelong, but a lot of my family are and they've known the Henry family over the journey too.

If we (and many others) knew about it, Collingwood should have...and they either shouldn't have picked him, or picked him while knowing he was basically a rental.

It's particularly ironic when half your side is from other clubs too. Pot/kettle and all that.

We're not perfect, but we didn't even boo the likes of Caddy & Kelly, much less abuse them on social media by the dozen.
Did that actually happen or are you just sensationalising in your head? The Magpies weren't happy with what was offered, hence why the deal dragged out. The club were quietly resigned by the back end of the season that he wasn't going to stay, and interest moved toward what the best deal the club could get for him was.

The reason you're so cocky that is played out the way it did, is because it did. There was a good chance as I stated that he could have matured and bought into a future at Collingwood or any other club he was drafted to. You're saying it was a dumb waste of time for any club not named Geelong to take him.

Comparing his to the Caddy and Kelly departures is comical

As other Cats fans have pointed out, it was not 'living up the freeway' that was the issue with Ollie. The Henry family were/are absolute diehard Geelong supporters, the brothers grew up around 300m from Kardinia Park and used to go to watch training sessions after school when they were kids. Ollie saw his big brother live out their childhood dream by being drafted to the club he was in love with (and then win a flag to boot). Him wanting to play for the same club, with his brother, is absolutely not an unreasonable goal.
He will go down as an outlier to have actually been drafted and followed through with his teenage goal. The Magpies shouldn't be laughed at for drafting a supremely talented kid in the hope he'd settle down in Melbourne.

We're not perfect, but we didn't even boo the likes of Caddy & Kelly, much less abuse them on social media by the dozen.
This, Tim Kelly is basically still beloved by Cats fans.
Ablett got standing ovations playing for the Suns.
Linc McCarthy is still well liked by many Cats fans, think he even rents out housing in Geelong to VFl talent and young Cats players.
We gained Caddy from GC and lost him shortly after so no hard feelings

All went on to have similar or better careers outside of Geelong. Maybe we just value players differently?

This, Tim Kelly is basically still beloved by Cats fans.
Ablett got standing ovations playing for the Suns.
Linc McCarthy is still well liked by many Cats fans, think he even rents out housing in Geelong to VFl talent and young Cats players.
We gained Caddy from GC and lost him shortly after so no hard feelings

All went on to have similar or better careers outside of Geelong. Maybe we just value players differently?
Tim Kelly with three children, two with autism moving to his home state to be with family? Yeah I'd expect that from you lot. Not exactly a flex, is it?

I have a strong suspicion we just field whatever we can if Conway isn't out there and try make up ground elsewhere. We've never valued rucks before, and state leaguers aren't going to be much better than Neale-Blitz

I dont think so. While we clearly like a certain ruck type (not a dinosaur) numerically weve often had 4 or 5 rucks on the list.
In 25 we will have only 3 (assuming no stanley) and 2 of those will be 34 yo blitz and 19yo edwards who is injured and not physically ready yet.
That plus conway will need help to manage his workload spells trouble.
The only reason we wouldnt get another ruck is if we are planning to make neale a frontline ruck but id suggest with this likely hawk's last year we will use neale as a kpf and bring in a ruck.
After all its harder and more costly to get good kpfs you can often get decent rucks cheap so if neale shows promise it makes more sense to keep him at FF.

We wont overspend on a ruck it will be a cheap late pick trade or an SSP type signing (think what we did with fort and abbott as late picks) but we will bring in someone.

So just hearing this morning after not really following this, that geelong have said they want to park the offer/discussion of a 4 year deal. I'd be dirty if I was Holmes and have agreed to it all in principle. He's probably a better person than me but if he has a ripper year and gets other offers I'd go. Geelong usually know what they're doing but imo it's a mistake and he's gonna walk

So just hearing this morning after not really following this, that geelong have said they want to park the offer/discussion of a 4 year deal. I'd be dirty if I was Holmes and have agreed to it all in principle. He's probably a better person than me but if he has a ripper year and gets other offers I'd go. Geelong usually know what they're doing but imo it's a mistake and he's gonna walk
Cmon mate you think that Tom Morris has the inside scoop on Geelong and Max Holmes deal?

I’d say they are just working out the deal and anything outside of that is conjecture and bluster.

No need to throw the toys out of the cot. He’s not leaving and this will get done soon.

Cmon mate you think that Tom Morris has the inside scoop on Geelong and Max Holmes deal?

I’d say they are just working out the deal and anything outside of that is conjecture and bluster.

No need to throw the toys out of the cot. He’s not leaving and this will get done soon.
4 years to take him to free agency, we'll reassess then.

Take it to the the bank.

fully blowing the chance to beat the cats for this question but what is it about Max that makes him so valuable?

Art Vandelay_ ?

Already one of our most valuable players and will play a critical role in bridging the gap between the Danger/Hawkins era and the next gen.

Specifically, he’s built for the modern game with speed to burn and the ability to play multiple roles.

fully blowing the chance to beat the cats for this question but what is it about Max that makes him so valuable?

Art Vandelay_ ?
If he stays outside the contest, he could well be the best wingman in the comp sooner rater than later.
189cm, super quick, and can kick the ball at pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given our lack of access to the top end of the draft our list is in ridiculously good shape but what we lack is players with real elite potential which would make the difference between finishing 6th and winning the flag. Holmes is one of the few that has that. We will need to find others via free agency and trade once Danger, Hawkins etc retire.

If Baker leaves, I wouldn't mind Richmond giving the pick we get from Freo to Geelong for Holmes.
only 23 years old fit in.

Lol he's gonna get close to a million a year and you want to offer what exactly for him?

No Way Friday GIF

If he stays outside the contest, he could well be the best wingman in the comp sooner rater than later.
189cm, super quick, and can kick the ball at pace.
Yep, the inside mid experiment is a wait and see.

He's got the talent to do it, and we fully expect him to soon, but it's a matter of building his upper body.

We saw it last year, would have ridiculous 20 touch halves and then hardly get near it for the rest of the game.

The opponents size would always just wear him down eventually. Hopefully that can change with an extra 5-10kg up top.

Lol he's gonna get close to a million a year and you want to offer what exactly for him?

No Way Friday GIF
Considering Geelong aren't re-signing him for what seems like a decent deal for the Cats, I would pay him 950k to get him out of there at 7 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back