Eddie says send North north

Remove this Banner Ad

Calder park is built upon contaminated waste.

They took a gate fee for asbestos and toxic chemicals, paid officials to look the other way.

The cost to clean that up means it’s prohibitive to do anything.

Literally full of snakes and rats. Will be difficult to do anything with it.
So very similar to Vitoria Park Princes Park Windy Hill.

Here’s an idea Eddie get each club to play each other twice in an expanded season, with equal access to Friday nights, the G and ‘Blockbuster’ games oh and how about the pies wear an away strip when they play North and it’s our home game? 🤔
This is pretty radical thinking. No other football competition would have each team playing each other twice to ensure fairness.

Last edited:

Considering we don’t have an NGA, and I doubt any clubs giving up anything meaningful anytime soon.
heck it my proposal would be ask for the juvenile justice and prison systems of Australia;
Plenty of untapped potential, We could genuinely make a difference in some kids lives.
We could incorporate fitness regimes, health wellbeing, sense of team, mateship and if all else fails at least we’ve got some players willing to go above and beyond in making us competitive.

Considering we don’t have an NGA, and I doubt any clubs giving up anything meaningful anytime soon.
* it my proposal would be ask for the juvenile justice and prison systems of Australia;
Plenty of untapped potential, We could genuinely make a difference in some kids lives.
We could incorporate fitness regimes, health wellbeing, sense of team, mateship and if all else fails at least we’ve got some players willing to go above and beyond in making us competitive.
Genuinely good idea.

* it my proposal would be ask for the juvenile justice and prison systems of Australia;
Why would you want to do this FFS ?! We already have 20 crooks stealing money from our membership week in week out ..

Why would you want to do this FFS ?! We already have 20 crooks stealing money from our membership week in week out ..
Because some of those kids will be tough as nails, fight like heck and not give up types - the sort you're whinging about us not having now, and love the opportunity to do something else with their life.

Cairns has this operation happening. I don't know if it has produced any AFL recruits yet, but the success rate of keeping kids engaged in society has been huge. They then set the example with other kids.

I assume there would be similar operations around Australia. It would be great if they were linked to a particular club, so they could create familiarity and understanding that they could develop over years

I wonder if any football club ever added a single membership because they moved their training base to a new suburb. Anyone here who lives out in the sticks and thinks that North should train at the local paddock near them to sell more memberships - just ask yourself if you'd switch from North to Essendon if that club started training at your local paddock. It's the most idiotic proposition.

Yes Mr McLaughlin, the afl players should only be recruited from AGSV

Simply look at the numbers around a certain age demographic. you'd have an exclusive recruitment ground around all of Aus, All some of these kids need is a sniff of a chance and they'll run with it.
Also they'd be loyal as heck

Last edited:
Because some of those kids will be tough as nails, fight like * and not give up types - the sort you're whinging about us not having now, and love the opportunity to do something else with their life.
Change the space and there would be plenty of .gov money available. We're stuck fighting for scraps with every other victorian club

Would be an area where the afl could genuinely help and get behind

Last edited:
Cairns has this operation happening. I don't know if it has produced any AFL recruits yet, but the success rate of keeping kids engaged in society has been huge. They then set the example with other kids.

I assume there would be similar operations around Australia. It would be great if they were linked to a particular club, so they could create familiarity and understanding that they could develop over years
Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because some of those kids will be tough as nails, fight like * and not give up types - the sort you're whinging about us not having now, and love the opportunity to do something else with their life.

Giving those kids pockets full of cash to play footy each week would mean we'd have at least 50% of our list out each week because of "general soreness" under the current system. We'd never be able to fill a team!

Giving those kids pockets full of cash to play footy each week would mean we'd have at least 50% of our list out each week because of "general soreness" under the current system. We'd never be able to fill a team!
No different to half the kids who come into the system now.

its a numbers game and there's 10,000 kids that go through there a year, with academies you're only realistically looking for 1 or 2 kids max a year. For instance say you get to bag a kid in the academy from 13/14, then basically commit to taking him in the draft at that age? rehabilitate and send him off to an elite school, exactly the same pathways of the NGA now.
Life changing for the kid.

No different to half the kids who come into the system now.

its a numbers game and there's 10,000 kids that go through there a year, with academies you're only realistically looking for 1 or 2 kids max a year. For instance say you get to bag a kid in the academy from 13/14, then basically commit to taking him in the draft at that age? rehabilitate and send him off to an elite school, exactly the same pathways of the NGA now.
Life changing for the kid.

Oh, you're actually serious about the idea? Right.....

I fully agree with most of Ed's sentiments. Unsure of the financial viability of having a secondary training base in the outer Northern suburbs though - I'd more focus on getting Bendigo's QEII oval up to scratch to host games and go from there.

He has neglected to mention the the Arden urban renewal precinct - there is going to be a relative population explosion in the suburb literally next door to the club. The key is to win a few flags whilst the families are moving in. I believe there were estimates of 15-20k people moving into the area over the next decade or so but could be wrong.

The North Melbourne Arden street upgrade will be great for our club. When other people related to other clubs stick their nose in our business I am cynical . Everyone is out for themselves so I always think there is an ulterior motive and I am sure there is .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back