List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
He was good again today. We should be able to trade down our 1R to get Trainor and Travaglia, will be watching both very closely at the champs.
I expect Norths first will be for sale. They will be happy to slide down a few picks with Trainor their target. They don’t need Mids, they sure as s**t need a key defender though.

I expect Norths first will be for sale. They will be happy to slide down a few picks with Trainor their target. They don’t need Mids, they sure as s**t need a key defender though.
I reckon Trainor is definitely top 5 atm. North may try and split for him but we shouldn’t. We need a KPD and should hold our ground on him if available. We can pick up the WA kid Best next year to round out our mids

I reckon Trainor is definitely top 5 atm. North may try and split for him but we shouldn’t. We need a KPD and should hold our ground on him if available. We can pick up the WA kid Best next year to round out our mids
I reckon he is top 5. Probably about our pick. We would be mad to split if that’s how it lands. We need a KPD that has elite kicking skills

A slide down for them is definitely on the cards but I think they are more likely to target O‘Farrell (196cm), Mraz (198cm) or Whitlock (199cm) who are more your traditional KPD. Trainor is 194cm and a but undersized but can obviously still grow, can swing forward and offers more mobility. Even Shanahan as a KPF will be on their radar but they’ll also find it hard to resist Smillie...

What they should do IMO is try and trade their R1 for young but established KPPs so their development profile matches up to their mids.

Last edited:

We should be very weary of taking a key back with what all be a top 5 pick.

Weitering has worked out well for Carlton but generally it doesn’t work well for clubs.

A slide down for them is definitely on the cards but I think they are more likely to target O‘Farrell (196cm), Mraz (198cm) or Whitlock (199cm) who are more your traditional KPD. Trainor is 194cm and a but undersized but can obviously still grow, can swing forward and offers more mobility. Even Shanahan as a KPF will be on their radar but they’ll also find it hard to resist Smillie...

What they should do IMO is try and trade their R1 for young but stablished KPPs sontheir development profike matches up to their mids.
The AFL will likely give North a leg up again. I expect when Zurhaar leaves it will magically be another band 1 compo giving them an additional first rounder.

They'll likely get their targets.

At the end of the day the question becomes in three years time do we rather have

1. Harley reid being the first string/leading the midfield with weight on his shoulders

OR

2. Cal Jamo/Bazzo/Harry Edwards leading our backline with the weight on his shoulders. One of those being our FB.

Both are nightmare results but this draft stops one of those from occuring. We draft Luke who will lead the backline. We draft a mid who will prevent all the weight on Harley.

There are other draft in next three years. But I'm making the assumption this is our last draft and our last free agency for the next 3 just to create the urgency and importance of this draft.

I'm leaning for a mid just to keep Harley happy and to stop all the weight on him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL will likely give North a leg up again. I expect when Zurhaar leaves it will magically be another band 1 compo giving them an additional first rounder.

They'll likely get their targets.
I looked at their board to see what their fans were thinking as far as targets:
  • Ben Keays (fills an obvious need for mid-forward that they only have 37 of)
  • Harley Reid (JHF request to them incoming)
  • Sam Taylor (right target at least, but to get him they're hoping the AFL lets them pay him obscene money outside the cap)
  • Jed Busslinger (Would get games for them and they can get him for nothing)

At the end of the day the question becomes in three years time do we rather have

1. Harley reid being the first string/leading the midfield with weight on his shoulders

OR

2. Cal Jamo/Bazzo/Harry Edwards leading our backline with the weight on his shoulders. One of those being our FB.

Both are nightmare results but this draft stops one of those from occuring. We draft Luke who will lead the backline. We draft a mid who will prevent all the weight on Harley.

There are other draft in next three years. But I'm making the assumption this is our last draft and our last free agency for the next 3 just to create the urgency and importance of this draft.

I'm leaning for a mid just to keep Harley happy and to stop all the weight on him.
I think a fair bit comes down to what’s likely to happen/happens in trade/FA.

If we’re confident of getting Warner x2 next year (Suma is), then taking a KPD and HBF/wing should be the priority this year.

On the other hand, if we get Buss and are confident of getting Sam Taylor (unlikely but if he moves I’m sure it will be to us) next year then KPD becomes leas of a priority.

There’s other considerations too. Harley’s brother in law Zane Duursma would be a phenomenal pick up next year for HBF/wing role so with that in mind do we pass over Travaglia this year who is probably the best HBF/wing in the cohort? Are we even likely to be high enough in the draft order to have a shot at him?

Clarko has been a bit of a tosser lately but picking Bud and Rough in his first draft so their development matched the mids (KPP take longer) was absolutely crucial to their prolonged success so if it’s a coin toss I’d rather sure up the KPD stocks this draft with a few good options available.

I looked at their board to see what their fans were thinking as far as targets:
  • Ben Keays (fills an obvious need for mid-forward that they only have 37 of)
  • Harley Reid (JHF request to them incoming)
  • Sam Taylor (right target at least, but to get him they're hoping the AFL lets them pay him obscene money outside the cap)
  • Jed Busslinger (Would get games for them and they can get him for nothing)
HAHAHA, Why would the Bus want to go to that rabble of a club, he'd just be leaving one rabble to go to arguably an even worse rabble.

HAHAHA, Why would the Bus want to go to that rabble of a club, he'd just be leaving one rabble to go to arguably an even worse rabble.
Pretty much. There is not a single player of better than C+ quality that would voluntarily step into that environment. If they are any good they’ll get offered similar money elsewhere and will head there where there’s at least some chance of success.

We should be very weary of taking a key back with what all be a top 5 pick.

Weitering has worked out well for Carlton but generally it doesn’t work well for clubs.
Great insights - yet again. Generally would be considered a significant number one way not the other

Sometimes taking top picks as KPD are a complete bust down back. Just ask Ben King and Naughton’s clubs. O’Sullivan at the Cattery looks a good pick but not expecting much in first 2 years. Swans appear very happy with Blakey. May seems a damn good priority pick for Suns-Dees

Mcafey was a flop but I’d heard concerns on his mental attitude prior to draft. Granger-Barrass was a big disappointment and few saw that - can’t build his tank.

Prey tell me which other top end KPD have been flops

OR

We do also have Ginbey and Hewitt to carry the load with Reid, the idea that if we don’t get a top midfielder this draft then Reid is the only gun we have is an early call. There’s a lot to play out.

We do also have Ginbey and Hewitt to carry the load with Reid, the idea that if we don’t get a top midfielder this draft then Reid is the only gun we have is an early call. There’s a lot to play out.
Praying that Hewett can make a full recovery and that Hall can come on.

Praying that Hewett can make a full recovery and that Hall can come on.

Lets be overly hopefuly here and think that is what happens and that Chesser and Johnston can be roleplayers at least. We still need elite footskills, run and carry from defence and a quality KPD.

The club still need 3-4 of those higher tier outside players for the next generation and at least 1-2 good to very good FP/HFF players as well. Long will be a player but he's not going to be top tier. Jury is out on brockman, Cripps is on the downward cycle and needs to be replaced. Dewar is a long shot. JJ is likely to be delisted and is more a back than a forward. Petch has become more high half forward / mid. Who knows how long Ryan will last, particularly as a forward after very serious injuries.

Still a very long way away from building a competitive list for the next generation. It does look like we have a FF, CHF and 1 key back in Jamieson imo.

Ruck is tricky as I just don't rate Williams as a forward or around the ground. Flynn has a long injury history and if he makes it barnett is years away. Livingstone is a long shot to make it but could become a decent second ruck. Has better forward craft particularly deep and is much more aggressive than Jack Williams but isn't athletically gifted and his goal kicking isn't much better than BW.

Cripps, Yeo, Kelly, McGovern, Barrass are all going to be very difficult to replace over the next 4 years. JD, Sheed and Gaff less so.

After a month off with a thumb injury Finn O'Sullivan clearly struggled to pick up the pace of the game, but when he did find the footy he oozed class as always. During his injury absence guys like Smillie and Trainor have put their hand up as pick 1 contenders, but for me O'Sullivan is still that guy.

I see your concern but the changing game is making defenders of true quality more valuable.

Other than Weitering which team has a KPD drafted in top 10 as a KP?

Moore was top 10 but that was based off his work as a forward.

Lever was a first round pick, 14 from memory. I think he comes closest.

Gov - Rookie
TB - pick 43
Sicily - pick in the 70’s I think
Harris Andrews - pick 61
Sam Taylor - 26
May - zone selection
McCartin 33
Balta 25
Pearce - 37

Meanwhile on the other side of the ledger you have McCasey at 6, Logue at 8, DGB at 6.

Clubs are willing to spend draft capital on a proven KPD, but it doesn’t change the fact that each clubs KPD are generally not high draft picks. Weitering is the exception that proves the rule.

Great insights - yet again. Generally would be considered a significant number one way not the other

Sometimes taking top picks as KPD are a complete bust down back. Just ask Ben King and Naughton’s clubs. O’Sullivan at the Cattery looks a good pick but not expecting much in first 2 years. Swans appear very happy with Blakey. May seems a damn good priority pick for Suns-Dees

Mcafey was a flop but I’d heard concerns on his mental attitude prior to draft. Granger-Barrass was a big disappointment and few saw that - can’t build his tank.

Prey tell me which other top end KPD have been flops

Naughton isn’t really part of the discussion. He’s not playing as a key back, and he hasn’t played back for years. And neither is Blakey. Even though he’s 196cm he’s not a KPD.

McCasey - bust
Grainger-Barrass - bust

More to the point, I can’t think of a single club other than Carlton whose key back was drafted with a top 10 pick and drafted based on their ability to play KPD in their draft year

More to the point of you look at most clubs KPD’s very few are taken with top 10 picks.

Gov - Rookie
TB - pick 43
Sicily - pick in the 70’s from memory
Harris Andrews - pick 61
Sam Taylor - 26
May - zone selection
McCartin 33
Balta 25
Pearce - 37

Naughton isn’t really part of the discussion. He’s not playing as a key back, and he hasn’t played back for years. And neither is Blakey. Even though he’s 196cm he’s not a KPD.

McCasey - bust
Grainger-Barrass - bust

More to the point, I can’t think of a single club other than Carlton whose key back was drafted with a top 10 pick and drafted based on their ability to play KPD in their draft year

More to the point of you look at most clubs KPD’s very few are taken with top 10 picks.

Gov - Rookie
TB - pick 43
Sicily - pick in the 70’s from memory
Harris Andrews - pick 61
Sam Taylor - 26
May - zone selection
McCartin 33
Balta 25
Pearce - 37
Callum Wilkie of the Saints came from the Rookie Draft as well if I remember, and he hasn't lost a defensive one-on-one yet this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back