Preview Changes: R3 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Simpson had the balls to drop Gaff. Will we do the same with Smith?

181769.jpg
Maybe. But will he pull a Bevo on Laird?

Any news on how Nank, Curtin and Cook performed in the Sanfl trial this Arvo.

Out
Smith, please retire.
Murphy, wishfull thinking.
Pedlar, get some touch in the SANFL.
Berry trial game form was good, but reality bites.

In
Curtin.
Nankervis
Taylor
Cook

I know some of these guys probably don't deserve the call up on form. Especially Cook.
But each has x factor and apart from Sog, Rachele and Rankine we lack creative play.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A big part of coaching is player development, and we have a bunch of young players not getting games who you could throw a blanket over such is their lack of development

The bottom half of our list is just cold, mushy porridge

Does it matter who we bring in?

We are making the same mistakes that we did before, just pumping more and more games into the same group (some of them useless hacks) and then suddenly theres massive gaps in experience.

Same shit, different day. We seem incapable of understanding you need a squad to win a flag, not a team.

Last edited:
Berry has seriously unbalanced the side. People were worried this would happen late last year with crouch. Now we have them both. At least crouch gets the ball
Game has gone past Smith. I don't think we'd lose anything if he never played for us again
Pedlar needs a spell
Murphy isn't good enough

Nank curtin dowling in. Throw cook in as well. What have we got to lose. Season on the line

Coaching panel just as bad if not worse but no accountability for them. I was on the fence about nicks but to sign him when we did was just idiocy whether he is the right man or not. And now we're stuck with him. Signs are really bad for this season, it's so disappointing was the first time i was looking forward to the footy for years. We seem to have regressed badly, players and game style. I am losing hope

Berry has seriously unbalanced the side. People were worried this would happen late last year with crouch. Now we have them both. At least crouch gets the ball
Game has gone past Smith. I don't think we'd lose anything if he never played for us again
Pedlar needs a spell
Murphy isn't good enough

Nank curtin dowling in. Throw cook in as well. What have we got to lose. Season on the line

Coaching panel just as bad if not worse but no accountability for them. I was on the fence about nicks but to sign him when we did was just idiocy whether he is the right man or not. And now we're stuck with him. Signs are really bad for this season, it's so disappointing was the first time i was looking forward to the footy for years. We seem to have regressed badly, players and game style. I am losing hope
We arent stuck with him. St Kilda signed their previous coach and he was gone the same year. If the club starts having attendance/membership drop off they will sack him. I hope they inserted performance clauses into his deal as he isn't meeting them and doesnt deserve a payout. A bad coach such as Nicks can cost the club a lot more than a potential payout. Knowing how our club rolls they will wait until the shit really hits the fan and good players start to leave before they do anything. If he finishes bottom 8 he should be sacked this year as its obvious he isnt improving the team and players don't believe in him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No excuses for not seeing Nank now

Wonder whether the extra security will result in Nicks being prepared to see what the kids have. Ordinarily the favoured 23 are already locked in and the selection strategy is to be patient and hope the stragglers turn it around. And there's always a West Coast or Roos around the corner for a confidence boost.

You just know Nicks' first choice would be o investigating every possible way to get Sloane able to play ASAP.

The better choice would be to throw every single magnet off the board and start again according to structure, balance and strategy. Right now it feels like we pick based on player and reputation and try to fit as many in as possible.

Tell you what Butts would be rivalling the departed Shane McAdam & Mitch McGovern in terms of the worst to play anything resembling decent football when they have any slight knock/injury, criminal that he managed to make old-man Hawkins look quick last night, if he’s still feeling the effects next week the glacial Borlase would be the better option.

Do think the first change we’ll see in desperation by Nicks will be Laird back to half-back, I don’t think he can be that effective back there anymore due to the 6-6-6 rule that destroyed his game back there but I suppose right now it may be worth a shot.

Also post-match Ins/outs ramblings on the way home last night…

Out:

Smith; Surely enough is enough with Brodie, it’s obvious as dog balls he’s put no work in at all to maintain any skill or fitness levels required to keep playing the game at this level at his age. He’s just rocked up post break and expected to be picked without proving he should be like he has every season pretty much post 2019. One of the club’s big stuff ups was not accepting the deal Brisbane put forward for him a few years ago.

Jones (Sub); I’m one of Chayce’s biggest supporters, I want him desperately to become a good player & due to the horror “the one we dare not speak of” draft the Club needs him to be good but that foot injury has seen him regress to just the nothing footballer that’s like a background character in a video game again. A move back to defence could save him if they are willing to swap him with Milera.

Murphy; Has to be the worst player the football club has got to 50 games let alone 100, the bloke is a deadset leach - he just sticks on and you can’t get him off. Always thought he must be the greatest guy you’d ever meet off the field because the way that he’s made himself a fixture down there and the way he’s stuck on to the 2 powerbrokers in Tex and Dawson to end up holding some power himself despite being a fraud of a footballer is quite remarkable really.

Berry; Turning out to be another in a long list of players that just has far too many bad habits that have crept into his game and have never been properly ironed out by any decent coaching. It’s always something going wrong; some times he fumbles, other times when he grabs it cleanly he gets caught with the ball & then if he does manage to get free he can’t hit the side of a barn door with either hand or foot most of the time. He deadset had talent this kid but like with Jones he’s another victim of what’s been a club wide issue for the past 7 years, draftee player development - which over that time has largely been ineffective.

In:

Curtin; The time has definitely come to see what Curtin’s got in terms of attacking weapons at the higher level, it must’ve been a shock during the pre-season that the club saw that an 18 year old is not ready to defend big 200cm blokes & they didn’t want to ‘McAsey’ him. So here’s an idea you said as a club all post-draft he’s so versatile this bloke, so pop him on a half-back flank and let him run around and not worry about being ‘McAsey’d’. Literally zero imagination or eye to the future in that coaches box.

Nankervis; His imagination and dare is desperately needed in the wannabe ‘crowbot’ vanilla risk adverse ball movement wing/halfback region.

McHenry; Ned is what I like to call a necessary evil, at 0-2 it’s going to be getting desperate & in desperate times you seek desperate measures. At least he wants to go and get the ball, I do not rate at all what he does with or what he done with it once he came on a sub against Geelong but at least he kind of makes an impact good or bad. You’d be telling him to go old-school McHenry though and to be the biggest little shit out there, much like when Matthew Wade replaced Peter Neville in the Australian Test team, sometimes you need a pest to be brought in to a sporting team to see if he can shake things up a little.

Dowling; Out of the remaining mid/utility options I feel Billy is most ready and needs to be blooded this season, might as well be early. Edwards and Ryan may be more new & flashy but Dowling has 12 months extra on them and feel he’s the one that is built to handle the moments better at AFL level also has that ability you don’t see in the likes of those they’ve already recycled (Cook, Sholl & Hamill) he can actually seek out and handle strong contact unlike those Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tubemen.

B: Michaelanny, Butts, Keane
HB: Laird, Worrell, Hinge
C: Soligo, Dawson, Milera
HF: Pedlar, Fogarty, McHenry
F: Rachele, Walker, Keays
Foll: O’Brien, Crouch, Rankine

I/C: Burgess, Curtin, Nankervis, Dowling (Sub: Jones)

Fully expect McHenry and those Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tubemen Hamill and Sholl to be the only ones in the mix to be brought in and to provide more of the same crap we’ve already seen over the past 2 games though.

Nicks can't get the simple things right, not pick Murphy and drop Smith, stop picking Ned etc.

What hope is there for him to fix the midfield mix, Laird and Crouch together - nope.

Give Laird a crack in the backlines again or drop him to SANFL to work on his game.

Was beneficial to Crouch, why can't the same thing happen to Laird.

Get him to learn to kick the ball lower with more penetration. Be more composed in tight, not handball 1m to guy about to be tackled etc.

Nicks can't get the simple things right, not pick Murphy and drop Smith, stop picking Ned etc.

What hope is there for him to fix the midfield mix, Laird and Crouch together - nope.

Give Laird a crack in the backlines again or drop him to SANFL to work on his game.

Was beneficial to Crouch, why can't the same thing happen to Laird.

Get him to learn to kick the ball lower with more penetration. Be more composed in tight, not handball 1m to guy about to be tackled etc.
Smith out
Laird HB
Curtin debuts in the middle/wing.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Murphy out
Smith out
Pedlar rested
Jones out
Berry out

Ins from Curtin, Edwards, Cook, Nankervis, Ryan, Dowling, Bond and Taylor

Players that should be considered for omission. Murphy, pedler, Berry, smith, Jones

Murphy gives his all and can’t fault him for that. Actually looks like he’s even lost a yard of pace which makes him even less effective than before.

Pedler is a midfielder. Got some clearances when he went in there and showed he has power and strength but pretty much butchered everything

Never rated Jones even when some people did last season. Can not find the ball. Is non effective in every way

Berry couldn’t gather a clean ball below his knees. Surely edwards can overtake him in his first season

Out: Pedlar, Soligo, Rachele, Rankine or any exciting young talent we can blame
In: Sloane, Mackay, Van Berlo and Tom Lynch with an injured foot as sub

Remove this Banner Ad

Back