Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v North in the Adelaide Hills Round 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion Oscar is our best solo ruck and i don't see Fort getting the gig unless Oscar is rested or has an injury.
He had a very good game v Pies up against part time rucks in McStay (15 HO), Frampton (6) and Johnson (2)

I am not sure what more you would require a ruck to do.
43 HO a game high, 13 to advantage a game high with only 82% TOG
18 disposals being 8th best for us
11 clearance being a game high. 5 more than the Pies best and 4 more than the next being Neale & Dunkley with 7 each.
16 contested possessions equal game high with N Daicos
5 inside 50's only 1 behind Daniher, McCluggage, Ashcroft, Pendlebury, De Goey.

One ruck is the way to go against the vast majority of teams. I did agree with the 2-ruck selection v Gawn & Grundy combo.

I don't think there's much between Oscar and Fort and overall I'd go with Fort. But that doesn't mean Oscar won't be better on a given day or whatever.

I'm a big wrap for playing the 2 rucks . Obviously there might be times where it doesn't work out. On Thursday Daniher was exceptional when on the ball and gave us a lot of drive out of the stoppages. Collingwood were undermanned , not reading a whole lot into it tbh.

I don't want to see Daniher playing that role in every game , just a query on whether his body would stand up to it.

Amazing throwback to quoting fantasy scores as a reason why McStay needed to be dropped
So Lyons didn’t get 40 disposals? Mathieson didn’t rack up 42 disposals. Stop deflecting. Your Trumpian approach to posting is juvenile sometimes.

The major reason I miss Dan McSpray is that we can’t have continual arguments over his 4 to 8 disposal games nearly every week
If he was any good, he’d still be a Lion. He was a low possession, low impact player who went missing in finals. He was a classic Fagan pet. Funniest thing is listening to the Collingwood supporters parroting the same nonsense that his boosters on our team page used to go on with.

But that is a diversion. Last year when Fagan eventually selected Mathieson after months of stellar form in the reserves, he conceded he waited too long to select him. Let’s see if he has learned any lessons in relation to Lyons.

Yeah those 2 had hhuuuuugggee games
I knew you’d see it my way eventually. You are a solid poster. I really like your “live” posting in games and I agree with your read on most things. Funny how we get on each others goats in selection threads and pre-match threads. I think it is time to declare that you are officially endorsed by 3KZ is Football and though not loved as much as DERRINALPHIL MSB ROYS martinson Roylion Nunez Gadzorks western royboy FitzroyPete and royboys4eva and M Malice and Mr Ripper - you are now officially OK. Peace out Nathan Barley. You love the Lions and that’s good enough for us.

PS. I loved Dylan12 too #MissingPersons and everyone loves MacMum, me included. McIvor is also worthy of great love and admiration.

Last edited:
I knew you’d see it my way eventually. You are a solid poster. I really like your “live” posting in games and I agree with your read on most things. Funny how we get on each others goats in selection threads and pre-match threads. I think it is time to declare that you are officially endorsed by 3KZ is Football and though not loved as much as DERRINALPHIL , Gadzorks, Nunez, western royboy MSB ROYS martinson and FitzroyPete - you are now officially OK. Peace out Nathan Barley. You love the Lions and that’s good enough for me.
Mods put a stop to this appalling nonsense. Aggro should be encouraged

On the 3KZ is Football Wing!
Couldn’t bring your couch as it won’t fit in the 370Z
Pacific Northwest Snow GIF by Northwest Motorsport

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t bring your couch as it won’t fit in the 370Z
Pacific Northwest Snow GIF by Northwest Motorsport
No, it’s a big couch. I’m off to Bali on Thursday for ten nights looking for an International Couch for the North Melbourne and GWS games.
Nice car. Remember the old Toyota Celicas? They were pretty snazzy back in the day.
1680954177165.jpeg
1977 Celica - the Official Car of the Over 50’s Clique

Last edited:
No, it’s a big couch. I’m off to Bali on Thursday for ten nights looking for an International Couch for the North Melbourne and GWS games.
Nice car. Remember the old Toyota Celicas? They were pretty snazzy back in the day.
View attachment 1653918
1977 Celica - the Official Car of the Over 50’s Clique
I bought a new Chrysler Sigma in 1977, my first car, it was even the yellow shown in this promo shot.

chrysler-sigma-sedan-front-side-0-467711.jpg

I bought a new Chrysler Sigma in 1977, my first car, it was even the yellow shown in this promo shot.

chrysler-sigma-sedan-front-side-0-467711.jpg
Nice! My first car was a silver HQ Holden Premier. Bench seat in the front, column shift, 202 motor, heater that didn’t work, but otherwise indestructible.
1680955481949.jpeg

Re: Fort vs Big O.

Honestly what splits them for me is Big O standing under marks in the f50, spilling or or holding the defenders to him allowing our others to leap for the mark.

That Rayner speccy on the Pies match Big O was right there about to mark that (100% ;)). I would like either some more nuance to his taps or jsut to smash it constantly, but I like his follow up work too :) I still remember that tackle he had on Bolton.

Would like to see our graph from Thursday night.

See below. Looks like the difference was our ability to take full advantage of our field position - both creating better scoring opportunities than normally expected and then also kicking more accurately than expected from those scoring opportunities.

Collingwood on the other hand scored around what would be expected given their field position, perhaps sightly less accurately than expected.

20230409_004334.png 20230409_004339.png 20230409_004344.png

If he was any good, he’d still be a Lion. He was a low possession, low impact player who went missing in finals. He was a classic Fagan pet. Funniest thing is listening to the Collingwood supporters parroting the same nonsense that his boosters on our team page used to go on with.

But that is a diversion. Last year when Fagan eventually selected Mathieson after months of stellar form in the reserves, he conceded he waited too long to select him. Let’s see if he has learned any lessons in relation to Lyons.

I defended McStay because he played a role for us and played it well most of the time. But boy howdy would I have been furious with the club if we matched Collingwood’s offer (which by reports we did) and he chose to stay. Man is not worth that much money, at all.

Means absolutely nothing in context of whether he's better than O or not.
That was probably more in response to someone that said he didn't play well in the VFL.

Personally I'm not sure who is 100% the better player, it probably is overall OMac, however I think our biggest deficiency is in Center Clearance where Fort is the strongest of the two on what I have seen, and I thought in that aspect of the ground in particular (Fort in VFL, OMac in AFL), Fort performed better. I also thought the same thing last week and noticed that at the start of the second half they preferred Fort to OMac, however that may have only been because then they subbed Fort out after that stint.

Tldr imo:
Fort a better Center Clearance ruck,
Oscar a better around the ground ruck,
Both dangerous up forward.

From a team balance perspective, I think we could use a boost in the CC over other stoppages.

Good morning Nathan Barley

The over 50’s Clique has met and the following motion was passed without debate: “The selection debate regarding McInerney and Fort is to be resolved by Fagan selecting both. We endorse the RUCK DUO concept made holy writ by Leigh Matthews in three Premierships at the Lions. We believe that McInerney/Fort will become as famous as Keating/McDonald and Keating/Charman. Finally, we are resolved that Fagan needs to abandon his AILING THREE TALL FORWARDS POLICY and adopt a TWO TALL FORWARDS PLUS RAINER POLICY”

Last edited:
Good morning Nathan Barley

The over 50’s Clique has met and the following motion was passed without debate: “The selection debate regarding McInerney and Fort is to be resolved by Fagan selecting both. We endorse the RUCK DUO concept made holy writ by Leigh Matthews in three Premierships at the Lions. We believe that McInerney/Fort will become as famous as Keating/McDonald and Keating/Charman. Finally, we are resolved that Fagan needs to abandon his AILING THREE TALL FORWARDS POLICY and adopt a TWO TALL FORWARDS PLUS RAINER POLICY”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back