Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Duncan is such a composed decision maker and is still one of our most valuable players his set up work is underrated.

Dangerfield please stay healthy you set the tone again today and have done it many weeks a true leader.

Stanley can’t do anything better than Conway I think it’s time for him to step aside, 200 games and a premiership is well above what I or even he probably expected so hats off to him.

Atkins needs to play before MOC he is just a better player wether it’s in a defensive role or an attacking, the only way I see it viable is if he is put to tag a Bont/Cripps type that is a man mountain.
O'Connor was one of our best last week against Brisbane and rendered Neale to mainly ineffective disposals. He got a bit lost yesterday chasing Walsh but he did limit him to a minor extent. At 190cm and the ability to run all day I think he has it over Atkins. Coming on as sub Atkins had some energy to burn and probably sub is a good role for him. The idea that MOC cannot play football was ok 3 or 4 years ago but not in 2024.

Oh yeah, I agree about Duncan, he is our most composed ball user next to Stengle.

It is really interesting now danger out…as there is no doubt we would have continued to manage a midfielder a week with danger and Guthrie back. Probably including Dempsey now in that MF rotation (even though he is always in the forward huddles at the break!). So would have seen him, Tanner, Bowes, Parfitt, Atkins all get a break I reckon over the next 5 weeks and maybe then 2e again given danger and Guthrie didn’t need a break and blitz hard to leave out.

We need to rest these players almost for team balance as well as management.

Now having danger out for those games lessens the need to rest for team balance. But maybe they do it anyway given we have Rohan, Knevitt, Clark and even Hardie all waiting for games and in good form.

I would not be shocked to see Dempsey rested in the next two weeks (not because of form but this would be the most games he has played in a row at any level of footy since we was 12! Last year he got regular rests as holdover or sub in afl). And I think Tanner and Parfitt will need a rest too. All of them will not want it given competition for spots!

Might not do any harm resting a close and possibly other small forwards as well. Duncan as well. If Hawk or Jezza get rested then Neale comes in.

So that means we can have someone like Rohan given a 4-5 week block with others being managed around him. And maybe also that means we can give some of those others a crack over that period

Having said all of that I can’t see them managing more than 1 a week given we still have some tough games before the bye that we want to win
I have come to the view that it’s not worth trying to predict who will be managed, just accepting that someone will be.

Yeah a couple of weeks in a row now he has burnt team mates more than once but now almost the only flaw in his game other than getting under the ball a bit.LOVE HIM TO DEATH THOUGH.
Kicks two a game he has done his job . Bangs 40+ for the year he has had a good year. He knows it…. Hence goes for the sticks more often than not. Mostly out the backers….. doesn’t get too involved otherwise. Jaidyn Stephenson kangaroos very similar, although clarko has axed him I think.

It’s nauseating having to put up with a substandard product. Honestly, Dunstall yesterday was barracking! Just call the game!
He was genuinely deflated at times when things went against the Blues.

King was closer to 50/50 and coming around to us being decent.

Dunstall flat out sounded like he had his house riding on Carlton.

He was genuinely deflated at times when things went against the Blues.

King was closer to 50/50 and coming around to us being decent.

Dunstall flat out sounded like he had his house riding on Carlton.
King was complimenting us through gritted teeth. I can cop that.

great win and forward efficiency, but clearly not the blueprint Scott will be looking for in future games. Conceding 21 more I50’s is not sustainable…… Bruhn and Parfitt didn’t get near it in the first qtr and Bowes thereafter…. Stanley completely mauled after his freshen up…
Guthrie to cover paddy absence helps….
I actually think that's the blueprint. Bowes interviewed on the Sunday footy show send to indicate that they expected to get mauled in the middle.

Is it the blueprint to win a premiership? No. But I don't think they ever really considered themselves to have the pieces for that.

With Neale's performance at both levels, and Hawk's form the last few weeks....are we potentially reaching another Mooney/Hawkins situation ala 2011?
I agree that this might be the case, but the situation is quite different to Moonry/Hawkins, and it’s a bit worrying.

At the start of 2011 (Mooney’s last year), Hawkins had already played 65 AFL games and kicked roughly 80 goals.

On the other hand, right now, Neale has only played 6 games and kicked 4 goals. If this is the end of Hawkins, then Neale isn’t even close to partially filling his shoes. Key forwards usually take a few years to hit their straps at AFL level. We need Hawkins to hit decent form soon, and/or start looking for a key forward to bring in from another club at the end of this year.

On Kolo he was devastated that Cottrel kicked the goal - was a big consequence at the time…but we won and he is still playing next week. Also Cottrel is not risking concussion which is now days just as important
I don't think avoiding an injurious/dangerous tackle was the problem there so much as he should have used the tackle to hold the ball to Cottrel and force a ball up. At one point he even looked up at the umpire to "appeal" for HTB - halving that contest should have been the priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I think a lot of people are seeing something that is not there with all this anti Geelong stuff.

I think overall the commentary around Geelong is incredibly complimentary and they were constantly praising their clinical efficiency yesterday.

Not sure what people are after tbh or why bothers people.
I agree. I think lots of cats fans are projecting preseason commentary onto current events

I think that there's a broader issue with Hawkins now being invisible in a hell of a lot of games since the middle of last year.

I don't like always going back to statistics to prove a point, but it's a slightly more objective method than "I reckon", and... there are a hell of a lot of games where he has kicked fewer than three goals and had 10 or fewer touches. The goal assists have dried right up, as well.

It is never obvious when the cliff comes except in hindsight. I think we're starting to get to that point now, where it's not whether the cliff has come, but it's how long it's been there.
With Neale and Rohan in form he probably doesnt need to be a walk up start every week, they'll keep picking him though.

Our forward line pressure is better than it has been in years. I wouldnt risk disrupting it with the extra tall.
We just need to heavily manage hawk from here on out and play neale instead in a fair few of those games.

Rohan probably needs dempsey or henry to be rested to get in.
The problem I see with this is that Hawk is a bloke that needs/thrives on work. I don't think he handles being in and out.

The umpire was screaming at McKay to stand. He didn’t. It’s 50. You don’t have to like the rule but that is it and it was 100% correct.

I love that Carlton / non-Geelong supporters are trying to create additional conditions to the 'Stand Rule', to try and say why it was unfair McKay/Carlton were penalised:

"Neither Cripps or McKay nominated to take the mark. McKay chose to back off and Cripps stayed there. Surely common sense prevails? "

It's like dude, there's no such thing as nominating who will stand the mark - that's a ruck contest thing, it's the first player on the mark who stands it and in this case it was McKay

Besides, regardless what you think of the rule, when the umpire yells at you to stand, just bloody stand - surely not that difficult

I don't think avoiding an injurious/dangerous tackle was the problem there so much as he should have used the tackle to hold the ball to Cottrel and force a ball up. At one point he even looked up at the umpire to "appeal" for HTB - halving that contest should have been the priority.
Agree. I think he would be disappointed he didn’t hold it in.

The thread I was responding to though was that not long ago Kolo had a much simpler (and probably more effective) option to just sling him to the ground. Would have reduced the risk of Cottrel having any chance of kicking a goal. With that option now gone he has to perfectly stick the tackle now in terms of not allowing any chance for the ball to move. Much harder to execute than a sling - not impossible but harder

That's the rule, you get beaten by Geelong you turn to custard for the next few weeks
Yep. Been a pretty clear pattern so far…. Team looks dangerous coming into play Geelong (including st Kilda game one) but then 4 weeks later is a poor team

So it gives the experts the reason to say - see they haven’t been anybody. 😳

I was at the game and it happened in front of me. Dempsey could have attacked the contest harder. He may or may not have made it, but to me he backed off.

Not a capital crime. He’ll learn from this.
Agree not a capital crime but he should expect to be targeted by opposition teams for a while if he stays in.

The other thing that's been ignored with that is the rule change introduced for last season (maybe the year before)

Once Player X is standing the mark you can't change them with Player Y

McKay would have been deemed the player originally standing the mark & was told to stand, then Cripps comes in and tells McKay to get back into defence

Textbook 50m every day of the week

Not sure what the complaints are about
On one viewing it looked to me that Cripps didn't come in but went out to stand the mark more in the corridor.
I think while he was moving there the call for stand was made.

Great win, we will see them again round 15, most likely against a stronger Carlton outfit.

7-0 how good is this bloody club!!!!
Had my sons friend with us who follows Carlton.
Him “just wait until round 15”
Me “ you’ve been a good kid today. Ask your dad to hook up the vhs and watch the ‘95 grand final”……

Danger is in real jeopardy, it's the old man's injury. He should be rested until after the BYE and come back for a tilt in the second half of the season. Geelong can cover him these days, time for Clark to step up? Mannagh? The options are numerous.
I disagree, the others are small/medium mids (mostly small). Danger is the only big bodied bull that can also take a grab that we have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back