Review Cats turn Lions into wet pussies at the Gabba by 26 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand concussion protocol and timely diagnosis, but there is a genuine concern for the welfare of our player, rather than just as a superstar chess piece. Stewarts head crash, nose forward was sickening and he dropped like a rock.
There would have been immediate evidence of head/facial injury, as being pulled from the ground indicates.

Chris Scott's continued pretense of ignorance on known injury is beyond irritating, particularly when he says I'm not to be trusted on that question. He knows the question will be asked in the presser and is no doubt more informed than he likes us to know, if not, get the bloody answer! Even the punters here called a broken nose at the least.
No one is asking for a full medical report, or for him to make a fool of himself, just be a bit more upfront and sympathetic to concerns, instead of the same pat answer. Frankly he is treating interested parties as mushrooms.
He said that his opinion on it shouldn’t matter. I found his answer fair, he doesn’t have all the information, especially with concussion. In the past he would say ‘it looked like the minor end’ but there’s protocols in place. His answer was fair.

I don’t understand the obsession with knowing all the details of a players injuries, even when they’re due back, it’s not an exact science. People are to used to having all the information at hand immediately these days, a bit of mystery is a good thing.

It's amused me for years, that in this highly technical age they still depend on shouting and boards. You'd think with under a minute left they could change the lighting on the scoreboard to all blue or something.
I asked a player once, he was trying to get on, in vain for ages, the VFL is worst for this- he laughed but had no real answer other than it's frustrating.
They certainly haven't had a problem embracing reviews but the interchanges have had no thought since they started.
Maybe time out like in basketball? just brain storming-don't hound me down!
They can still interchange whenever they want, the only issue is that the ground is so large that it's tough to get a runner out and a change happening!

Chris Scott 's continued pretense of ignorance on known injury is beyond irritating, particularly when he says I'm not to be trusted on that question. He knows the question will be asked in the presser and is no doubt more informed than he likes us to know, if not, get the bloody answer! Even the punters here called a broken nose at the least.
Completely disagree with you. He's the head coach, so he (a) doesn't have all the information at hand, (b) doesn't have a medical degree, and (c) is completely biased toward wanting players back ASAP.

Besides, you don't really know how bad a concussion is or isn't for a couple of days. Just chill out and wait for the injury update.

It is one thing that irritates me a little (and it's not just you at all) - it's fans wanting an immediate answer on this or that. Who cares when we know if he'll miss two weeks or four? It'll play out in its own time.

LClark will be fine.
Like conway he simply doesnt have the endurance base yet and needs time to build it but his attack on the footy you cant teach.

It’s more than endurance base. Clark is struggling to find enough of the ball for a midfield, and then when he does find it, his disposal has been statistically pretty horrible.

He’s flashed some exciting pressure moments but it looks to me like he has a long way to go if he’s to cement a regular spot. Quite frankly I don’t get why he’s been anointed a future stat.

It’s more than endurance base. Clark is struggling to find enough of the ball for a midfield, and then when he does find it, his disposal has been statistically pretty horrible.

He’s flashed some exciting pressure moments but it looks to me like he has a long way to go if he’s to cement a regular spot. Quite frankly I don’t get why he’s been anointed a future stat.
lol 5 games and called a bust

******* amazing insight

Completely disagree with you. He's the head coach, so he (a) doesn't have all the information at hand, (b) doesn't have a medical degree, and (c) is completely biased toward wanting players back ASAP.

Besides, you don't really know how bad a concussion is or isn't for a couple of days. Just chill out and wait for the injury update.

It is one thing that irritates me a little (and it's not just you at all) - it's fans wanting an immediate answer on this or that. Who cares when we know if he'll miss two weeks or four? It'll play out in its own time.

You might have missed the bit where I said my concern is for Tom's health, it's not having an immediate answer on his playing future. I understand mild brain injury, and don't need to chill, perhaps I have more of an investment in knowing he's okay without the need to text needlessly. An admission that he most likely has a concussion but seems to be doing well would allay anxiety for everyone, not just me, but it's beyond Scott in case he gets it wrong. In other words, the medical staff he has spoken too are unsure which is fair enough, but Scott won't even comment in a sympathetic manner on what is obvious. He could still do that and cover his arse at the same time.

Parfitt was the 5th mid last night with only 8 CBAs, yet he still had 7 clearances, 17 disposals, 6 tackles, 5 inside 50s and a goal. He also had 29 pressure acts which I think was a match high. He’s more versatile than he’s given credit for.

He was and i liked his game but we need to be realistic in that the wet track suited him. 1. Because it slows everyone down which negates his speed issues and 2. It turned the game into a slippery game where no one could dispose well and it became territory surge. Which both hides his kicking issues and suits his pressure game. Ill be very interested to see how he goes vs a good midfield this week if its in the dry.

Hes definitely improving for sure but i still dont think hes positionally versatile in the way atkins,bowes, oconnor etc are.
Now if he keeps putting up great games maybe they will do something radical like move guthrie out of the midfield etc but i doubt it. The more simple answer would be to keep the starting midfield we had (before guthrie got injured) pick the multi position guys around that and leave parfitt out. But he deserves credit for his last month for sure.

He's basically in his first season after being out for 6 months with injury.

Even worse when it's a foot, so his conditioning is going to suffer because he can hardly move for months.

He's 10-15kgs under his ideal playing weight, and you've chosen now to pick on him?

The expectations should be virtually zero until 2026, which would basically be year 3 for him. He needs games, plenty of time in the gym, and we'll reassess at a later date.

We've got a list a mile long (with plenty of them in the side right now) of players who were written off for no good reason, and now we've got another one.

Being first doesn't equal being right, but some will just never learn that.

Clark will be a slow burn. Not unlike Bruhn, tough for a youngster in that combative midfield role. The tackles are not sticking.

He will emerge when he gets some size on.
Exactly my thoughts on Clark... The kid is just too small and not strong enough at the moment.

He is bouncing off guys he is trying to tackle.

He isn't a silky outside type that we can plonk on a flank... He is playing where the heavy hitters are and is just 19.

He's probably gonna need a couple more years, just to put the size on his frame.

I reckon he will find himself out of the side this week... Having some big VFL games wouldn't hurt imo.

Nice read from Robbo in his Tackle column this evening.

5. The next generation

Geelong is the envy of the competition. Most outsiders tipped the Cats to again miss the eight after finishing 12th in 2023, but those outsiders now look foolish. The Cats are the only unbeaten team this season. The envy comes because the question is asked: How do they do it? At a guess, it’s because they have a master coach who demands and drives process and role, they have Nigel Lappin’s footy nous as Chris Scott’s offsider, their recruiting is ace and their development program is second-to-none. The Cats grinded Brisbane into the Gabba turf on Saturday night. In constant rain, it wasn’t because Jeremy Cameron dominated, or Tom Hawkins kicked goals, or Patrick Dangerfield put on his cap.

[PLAYERCARD]Tyson Stengle[/PLAYERCARD] is one of the Cats’ next generation who stood up in Brisbane. Picture: Russell Freeman/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Tyson Stengle is one of the Cats’ next generation who stood up in Brisbane. Picture: Russell Freeman/AFL Photos via Getty Images.
It wasn’t even won with Tom Stewart (concussion) controlling the back half. It was one because the next generation took control. The highest ranked Geelong players on Saturday night, in order, were Jack Bowes, Tyson Stengle, Max Holmes, Zach Guthrie, Mitch Duncan, Brad Close, Tom Atkins, Gryan Miers and Tanner Bruhn. They were a trade in, a delisted free agent, a pick No. 20, a rookie draftee, a rookie draftee, a rookie draftee, a pick No. 57 and a trade in. The only veteran among that lot is Duncan, who is 32 and was drafted back in 2009. The next generation aren’t kids mind you, although most of them were not even teenagers when Duncan started.

Clark will be a slow burn. Not unlike Bruhn, tough for a youngster in that combative midfield role. The tackles are not sticking.

It says a bit about our expectations that starting to influence results in your 3rd or 4th year is considered a 'slow burn' though.

Even 10-15 years ago, that was considered normal, and it still should be.

We're not like the NFL were we're drafting 24 year olds, these guys are still kids.

I blame it on the draft becoming more of a mainstream event. It seems to have cut our tolerance of teething issues in young footballers in half.

There's the freaks who are integral by year one (Selwood, Reid, Daicos) but they're the outliers.

Almost everybody else has to hit that 50-70 game mark before they're considered non negotiable as best 22.

Or, you get guys like Taylor, Stephenson, or McGrath who light it up in year one and never get any better after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Clark, there is a middle ground between “bust” and incapable of being criticised.

He’s not an AFL standard midfielder at this stage. Any AFL games are learning experience. I said at the start of the year 10 games would be a great step forward. I remain of that view.

On Clark, there is a middle ground between “bust” and incapable of being criticised.

He’s not an AFL standard midfielder at this stage. Any AFL games are learning experience. I said at the start of the year 10 games would be a great step forward. I remain of that view.
It's BigFooty. There is no middle ground.

Preach

5 games into his AFL career and posters are already passing judgment on the kid

Just unbelievable

Im not as worries about disposal but ive seen enough good disposal from him to see that technically his kicking is good. The issue is he has no tank yet so hes doing everything under fatigue and making errors. Hes not best 22 yet i agree with you (but they will keep playing him as they want to fast track him) but long term the class is there. His will and want to win contests you cant teach.

He's basically in his first season after being out for 6 months with injury.

Even worse when it's a foot, so his conditioning is going to suffer because he can hardly move for months.

He's 10-15kgs under his ideal playing weight, and you've chosen now to pick on him?

The expectations should be virtually zero until 2026, which would basically be year 3 for him. He needs games, plenty of time in the gym, and we'll reassess at a later date.

We've got a list a mile long (with plenty of them in the side right now) of players who were written off for no good reason, and now we've got another one.

Being first doesn't equal being right, but some will just never learn that.

I’m not writing him off and my point is really to pump the break until 2026.

I’m saying he’s got a lot of development to make it to the star he’s being anointed and it’s really hard to tell at this early stage. It’d be one thing if he was like Constable (finding it) and just endurance need to improve. But his off the pace with skill, strength, and composure at this (early) stage.

It feels like the twilight zone in this forum sometimes. The talk of how great he’s going, and the obvious star he is gonna be. He’s being gifted games right now, and while I’m all for it, I can’t get behind the narrative that we have a clear star.

He’s being gifted games right now, and while I’m all for it, I can’t get behind the narrative that we have a clear star.

I keep saying it but "gifted" is the wrong word. We are investing games into him.

Aside from being 10kg too light, Clark hasn't done much wrong.

Is Toby Conway still eligible for the Rising Star? If so, 41 hitouts and some really intelligent play would make him a sneaky chance to get the nod this week.
I don't think he'll get nominated this week. Was smashed by the Big O until the concussion, and although he grew into the game around the ground on a bad night for big men, the 41 hitouts are because he got to beat up on Daniher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back