Review Cats turn Lions into wet pussies at the Gabba by 26 points

Remove this Banner Ad

It feels like the twilight zone in this forum sometimes. The talk of how great he’s going, and the obvious star he is gonna be. He’s being gifted games right now, and while I’m all for it, I can’t get behind the narrative that we have a clear star.
Yeah, bingo. Wait for the wheels to turn in 30 games, where he will be performing objectively better than right now but will naturally be labelled talentless, a waste of a great pick, a flop, a hack...

Clark did a lot right last night. Got to some great positions, showed some smarts with the ball and his commitment with his body work and tackling was outstanding. He just can't make them stick yet.

He's not in our best 22. But with another season or two he will be. At 6-0 we should absolutely be able to make top 4 while "gifting" games to a few guys like Clark and Conway who are 25-30 on the list.

And when it comes to midfielders the gap between VFL and AFL is vast. Remember Holmes being BOG in his first 3-4 VFL games as an inside mid? Yet in year 3 he struggled as an inside mid at AFL level.

Before we ditch Clark for Hardie or Mannagh we need to remember Neale, Dunkley, Berry, Zorko, etc are a fair bit tougher opponents than Kyle Dunkley, Bruce Reville and Rhyce Torrent.

Did anyone else find Bruhns disposals into forward 50 pretty average last night ? Something to work on... Thought Conway was brilliant, he already feels like an upgrade on Stanley because of the damaging positions he puts the ball. I'd be keeping Clark in the side, I like the pressure he brings.

Nice read from Robbo in his Tackle column this evening.

5. The next generation

Geelong is the envy of the competition. Most outsiders tipped the Cats to again miss the eight after finishing 12th in 2023, but those outsiders now look foolish. The Cats are the only unbeaten team this season. The envy comes because the question is asked: How do they do it? At a guess, it’s because they have a master coach who demands and drives process and role, they have Nigel Lappin’s footy nous as Chris Scott’s offsider, their recruiting is ace and their development program is second-to-none. The Cats grinded Brisbane into the Gabba turf on Saturday night. In constant rain, it wasn’t because Jeremy Cameron dominated, or Tom Hawkins kicked goals, or Patrick Dangerfield put on his cap.

Tyson Stengle is one of the Cats’ next generation who stood up in Brisbane. Picture: Russell Freeman/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Tyson Stengle is one of the Cats’ next generation who stood up in Brisbane. Picture: Russell Freeman/AFL Photos via Getty Images.
It wasn’t even won with Tom Stewart (concussion) controlling the back half. It was one because the next generation took control. The highest ranked Geelong players on Saturday night, in order, were Jack Bowes, Tyson Stengle, Max Holmes, Zach Guthrie, Mitch Duncan, Brad Close, Tom Atkins, Gryan Miers and Tanner Bruhn. They were a trade in, a delisted free agent, a pick No. 20, a rookie draftee, a rookie draftee, a rookie draftee, a pick No. 57 and a trade in. The only veteran among that lot is Duncan, who is 32 and was drafted back in 2009. The next generation aren’t kids mind you, although most of them were not even teenagers when Duncan started.

Yes we ground (past tense and past participle of grind) Brisbane into the Gabba turf, Robbo.
Much like writing this article damning us with feint praise must have caused you to grind your teeth.
-

Last edited:
Yeah, bingo. Wait for the wheels to turn in 30 games, where he will be performing objectively better than right now but will naturally be labelled talentless, a waste of a great pick, a flop, a hack...
Hello Guthrie my old friend 🎶

Did anyone else find Bruhns disposals into forward 50 pretty average last night ? Something to work on... Thought Conway was brilliant, he already feels like an upgrade on Stanley because of the damaging positions he puts the ball. I'd be keeping Clark in the side, I like the pressure he brings.
I think Bruhn was just following the weather forecast and adapting

Overall, it was a pretty good even performance.

Some things that stood out:

- Our counter attacking is best in league. I don’t remember it being this good since 2007.

- It feels like Parfitt is taking a bit of a leadership role. He’s commanding the ball and having a presence in a way he previously wasn’t IMO. The goal a prime example.

- I’m getting Bartel vibes from Bowes, he needs to stay in the side as a midfielder.

- Danger looked good and had a clear presence. A great impact player in the middle and we need to keep him fresh for finals.

- Conway did great after Big O went off but was touched up a bit before that. I still think Stanley is a step up but a better chop out than we’ve had in awhile.

- O’Connor was great as a tagger and has been decent as a defensive winger. He’s got to keep kicking goals ala Lingy.

- Bruhn is fast becoming a key player in the middle.

- Our worst performing players were a couple of kids we are specifically getting games into and we had Stanley, Guthrie, Rohan, Touhy, and the a few other promising players in the VFL. We just don’t have any bad players in the side right now. It’s not like say 2016 when we had a bunch like Kirsten, Parsons, Ruggles, Lang, Gregson, Smedts etc. Great to have a healthy list but it’s deeper than ever too.

Ehhh... I don't think that drafting a player so another team doesn't draft them - only for them to sit in the VFL - is particularly wise or productive.

I suspect that the emergence of Dempsey, Parfitt and Bruhn has probably pushed him out of the side that we thought he was a good chance to slot into at this point in time.
You need strong depth to win a flag in any case.

If Stengle, Miers or Close miss games it will still hurt, but not by as much with Mannagh available.

Likewise it's great to be able to push the button on Hardie or Knevitt if we need to. They will still get some games but with Guthrie returning to replace Clark (likely) the timing isn't there yet.

We now have two genuine ruck options.

Mullin and COS are raw but exciting defensive depth options.

Of course, Neale is closer to "ready to go" as and when we need him.

A number of these players will have increased importance and game time in 2025 and will almost all be full timers in 2026.

I am completely confused as to how I feel about Duncan. I see both sides (he is aging or he is crucial!)…maybe both are true…

In the end I suppose we can’t have too many aging but crucial stars given the importance of team defence and running both ways…

I would not be shocked on opposite scenarios this year…either he gets squeezed out as we win the premiership or he becomes crucial to our premiership win (see how both scenarios have a good outcome though!).
Everybody still rates Duncan besides Geelong supporters.

His form is pretty similar to his 2022 year, or Tuohy from that year (who has quite obviously declined a lot since).

For whatever reason, as a supporter base we seem intent to have him out of the team.

Thank goodness we're not involved in the coaching group.

Rate all your posts.
This one I don’t, just the bolded.
He fumbled, shirked it and miss the footy more.
Not blaming him or age, it was the weather but I dare say is one of his worst game by “cleanness”
Duncan was out second highest effective disposal winner and our third highest for metres gained. Yet we only had 5 players who had less turnovers and Zuthrie was the only of those who more than 12 disposals.

Atkins did some really good defensive rebounding work against Brisbane. Looked dangerous when he was near it
Agreed, he didn't get huge numbers (he rarely does) but he was a useful contributor.

One thing that's overlooked with Stewart's absence is that Atkins could be an extra rebounded and one that's hard at it in the 50/50s.

Look at his possession counts for low tog though..imagine how good he will be once he can play 80 %.
I know Scott loves hammering the midfield rotations and perhaps sees Bruhn as a burst player rather than an endurance heavy accumulator. But I also think those minutes will increase gradually and will probably be high once Dangerfield, Guthrie and Blicavs type players are gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Bruhn was just following the weather forecast and adapting
Yep. Intelligent wet weather footy. Get ball take territory.

Bruhn is an excellent kick and his work on his non preferred is as good as we have had for years...especially his penetration.

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know Scott loves hammering the midfield rotations and perhaps sees Bruhn as a burst player rather than an endurance heavy accumulator. But I also think those minutes will increase gradually and will probably be high once Dangerfield, Guthrie and Blicavs type players are gone.
This is exactly what will happen once the players who we have playing that 75% tog are gone Bruhn and Bowes will step up and take those roles and Clark and others will step into the 60% ish tog.

We have been a better midfield overall since we changed our tog setup for the mids in 22 when we started rotating more players through it and stopped trying to lay Danger, Selwood, Ablett, Gola for the whole game in the guts which left us on an empty tank come finals.

We play a heavy rotation burst style midfield now with a few players being slightly more tog then the rest. It keeps our mids fresh for the whole game and should keep them fresh come finals time instead of limping into them.

This is exactly what will happen once the players who we have playing that 75% tog are gone Bruhn and Bowes will step up and take those roles and Clark and others will step into the 60% ish tog.

We have been a better midfield overall since we changed our tog setup for the mids in 22 when we started rotating more players through it and stopped trying to lay Danger, Selwood, Ablett, Gola for the whole game in the guts which left us on an empty tank come finals.

We play a heavy rotation burst style midfield now with a few players being slightly more tog then the rest. It keeps our mids fresh for the whole game and should keep them fresh come finals time instead of limping into them.
Menegola is the hard luck story with our journey.
Cheap as chips recruit who gave good service, should have been an AA and premiership player in 2020, snubbed for one and Martin ruined the other.

By the time we do salute his body had given up the ghost and he watched on from the sidelines. A good clubman.

PLEASE FIND SOME LOVE :heart:

Jhye Clark seems to be this board's new whipping boy. Seriously, give the young guy a break!

Clark is only 19yo + played only seven games.

Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances

Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Stoppage Clearances
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Clearances

Ranked 6th among rising stars in Centre Clearances Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s

Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Bounces

Ranked 8th among rising stars in Stoppage Clearances Per Game

He's in the top 10 for rising star categories.

View attachment 1965800

Chris Scott
Simon Lloyd
Stephen Hocking
James Kelly
Steven King
James Rahilly
Nigel Lappin
Brad Ottens
Aaron Black
Shaun Higgins
Match Committee
Our Club
All obviously rate Clark.

We've watched the Club's persistence pay in spades with Zuthrie.

Let's give Clark time to develop + I prefer to see him develop at AFL level, as the jump from VFL is huge. I think Clark will gain experience + develop more quickly at AFL level.

Would really like his critics to find some love for Jhye. How can you not love this look determination?

View attachment 1965780

While accept not everyone will love every player, just be kind to this young + precious Kitten :heart:
I love him and wish him the best but he's not physically ready yet. Back to VFL to gain confidence and give others their deserved shot

I don't know if it was mentioned on TV or Krock but Scott held the Cats back in the 3/4 time huddle until a bit after the second siron I'm guessing he knew exactly what a win in this game ment in the context of the season, whatever the message was it certainly got results in what could be the quarter to define this group in the long term.ANYWHERE ANYTIME ANY CONDITIONS.

Preach

5 games into his AFL career and posters are already passing judgment on the kid

Just unbelievable

He is genuinely out of his depth at times, but that's development.

And I feel like a lot of 26 year olds across the league don't have even an ounce of his attack on the ball, contest and ball carrier.

He will be a quality player in the hoops for a long time, just let him grow and mature.

I don't know if it was mentioned on TV or Krock but Scott held the Cats back in the 3/4 time huddle until a bit after the second siron I'm guessing he knew exactly what a win in this game ment in the context of the season, whatever the message was it certainly got results in what could be the quarter to define this group in the long term.ANYWHERE ANYTIME ANY CONDITIONS.

People are starting to see how F'n good Scotty is as coach.

For years my family and majority of friends (non Cats supporters) have bagged Scotty.
Now they are all realising he's the best in the comp and he can make ANYONE no matter their talent level play above their level.

Everybody still rates Duncan besides Geelong supporters.

His form is pretty similar to his 2022 year, or Tuohy from that year (who has quite obviously declined a lot since).

For whatever reason, as a supporter base we seem intent to have him out of the team.

Thank goodness we're not involved in the coaching group.

Don't lump every Geelong supporter together.

Many of us still highly rate Duncan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back