Review Cats turn Lions into wet pussies at the Gabba by 26 points

Remove this Banner Ad

He is genuinely out of his depth at times, but that's development.

And I feel like a lot of 26 year olds across the league don't have even an ounce of his attack on the ball, contest and ball carrier.

He will be a quality player in the hoops for a long time, just let him grow and mature.

It was an unlucky start for Jhye with injury but then the wheel turned. There's so much to learn, and he's been able to participate at the highest level in a winning team. It makes a difference on a few levels, if we were losing and he was getting flogged, the faith might have wavered. As it is, exciting times ahead for him and us with clever development from this great Club

IKR? I had to soothe my inner spelling policeman. Obviously no Editor available at 3.00 a.m.
Especially after the correct "won" was used in the previous line.

How can you get that wrong?!
The important thing is the article is 100% correct in its content.

It’s funny seeing the difference between our leaders compaired to Bris last night ..Neale was dropping his head a lot when under the pump and things weren’t going there way
They're incredible to watch, these Lions. Have won precisely nothing but carry on with the strut and the push & shove like they're back to back premiers. Deep down they know they're not at the level and spend too much effort and energy to try to compensate for it with faux toughness during the game. If they could only make their object the ball, rather than body contact on their opponents...

After getting so close last year, I think they're coming to the realisation that it's not going to happen with this coach or this group. When you add to that the acknowledgement that the 2020 flag was theirs to lose and they eventually got trounced by us on their home deck in a PF, you can absolutely understand their hatred for the hoops.

They haven't beaten us 'when it mattered' since the 2004 PF. And even that win didn't lead them to glory. So I don't think their group was all that surprised on the weekend when we offered them another routine exposure of their failings when the going gets tough.

#neverchangelions
#stayclassycats

Duncan was out second highest effective disposal winner and our third highest for metres gained. Yet we only had 5 players who had less turnovers and Zuthrie was the only of those who more than 12 disposals.
Phil Murphy Governor GIF by GIPHY News

#keepingitreal

Duncan was out second highest effective disposal winner and our third highest for metres gained. Yet we only had 5 players who had less turnovers and Zuthrie was the only of those who more than 12 disposals.
Again wasn’t my argument
If only fumbles and completes misses of the ball were counted.

But hey, you go on your little tangent off course and I’ll keep smashing my head against my phone.

It’s at a point I’m worried that your struggling read, but I’ll put it down you’re still thinking I’m saying he had a bad game or a bad game by foot.

Which I haven’t said once

Pleasing to see the joy on Parfitt’s face when he slotted that goal. Just rapt this guy has finally worked out what is required to play AFL at a high level. You can see his body shape is leaner than before.

And if the smile on Holmes’ face post match is any indication, I think he will remain a Cat. I bloody well hope so as he’s verging on being a star.
Someone posted up a list of highest ranking (using an ELO system I think) games from players under 20. They all belonged to Bont and Nick Daicos except for Harley Reid's on the weekend (the point of the list) and...Brandan Parfitt.

It says a bit about our expectations that starting to influence results in your 3rd or 4th year is considered a 'slow burn' though.

Even 10-15 years ago, that was considered normal, and it still should be.

We're not like the NFL were we're drafting 24 year olds, these guys are still kids.

I blame it on the draft becoming more of a mainstream event. It seems to have cut our tolerance of teething issues in young footballers in half.

There's the freaks who are integral by year one (Selwood, Reid, Daicos) but they're the outliers.

Almost everybody else has to hit that 50-70 game mark before they're considered non negotiable as best 22.

Or, you get guys like Taylor, Stephenson, or McGrath who light it up in year one and never get any better after that.

I'm not writing Clark off by any means but I think in this day and age non KPP top 10 picks should be close to ready to play. The chosen ones that end up in that spot in the draft are in a professional program since they were 15 these days. Different granted for someone like Dempsey who played a handful of school footy games in grade 12 and got rookied but these high picks have been programmed for AFL from a young age and can impact early.

GC giving up pick 7 for a salary dump looks crazier than it was, they seem to have clocked that draft pretty well tbh. The players around that pick that we were linked to, Tsatas, Phillipou, Busslinger etc, none of them setting the world on fire.

I'm not writing Clark off by any means but I think in this day and age non KPP top 10 picks should be close to ready to play. The chosen ones that end up in that spot in the draft are in a professional program since they were 15 these days. Different granted for someone like Dempsey who played a handful of school footy games in grade 12 and got rookied but these high picks have been programmed for AFL from a young age and can impact early.

GC giving up pick 7 for a salary dump looks crazier than it was, they seem to have clocked that draft pretty well tbh. The players around that pick that we were linked to, Tsatas, Phillipou, Busslinger etc, none of them setting the world on fire.
There's no level of development that's going to compensate for not having an AFL ready body.

The guns who dominate from day 1 are guys like Reid & Wines (already built like 25 year olds) or Sheezel & Daicos (unaccountable off a half back flank) so it doesn't hinder their impact.

You can have all the knowledge and development you like, not having the endurance base and being 10-15kg lighter than your direct opponent is going to be a hindrance.

It's only once that obstacle is cleared, that the early path you mentioned can have any effect.

Someone posted up a list of highest ranking (using an ELO system I think) games from players under 20. They all belonged to Bont and Nick Daicos except for Harley Reid's on the weekend (the point of the list) and...Brandan Parfitt.
Yeah, he's come along way from where he was when we drafted him right out of primary school.

Edit: Oh, I assume this is a rating of the games he played before he turned 20, not saying he is still under 20. Never mind me.

I promise you that if you go back and take a look through the past drafts you'll find that pick 6 to 10 are still miles off being sure things.

Clark ended up being the 8th selected player and there is an enormous amount of misses after the first few picks (which seem to be reasonably solid most years)

Now me saying that doesn't bode well for Clark... but I'm not fighting that fight atm, I certainly have my concerns about his potential upside, but it's going to be a couple of years before anything is proven with him because he is just too small to play what I'd think will be his only role in the AFL of inside mid atm.

What I am saying is that picks around 7, 8 and 9 are no sure things even to be half-decent players going off the evidence and once you get out past picks 11 and 12... well yeah I'm happy to trade those bad boys for players that are more proven because there is a big chance you just miss all together with late first rounders.

We really should start a thread or something with screenshots of the past 10 drafts' top 30 picks, and we will all see how fickle the draft is (even the top 10).

Also, what gives me confidence in Clark isn't actually what I have seen him do; it's CS saying many times that he thinks he will be a very good player for us for a long time. He just doesn't go there like that with many players at all.

Surely he sees and knows something... Well, at least I'm crossing my fingers that's the case.

Last edited:
I know Scott loves hammering the midfield rotations and perhaps sees Bruhn as a burst player rather than an endurance heavy accumulator. But I also think those minutes will increase gradually and will probably be high once Dangerfield, Guthrie and Blicavs type players are gone.

I agree because our MF will look very different in 2026.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not writing Clark off by any means but I think in this day and age non KPP top 10 picks should be close to ready to play. The chosen ones that end up in that spot in the draft are in a professional program since they were 15 these days.
I disagree, it depends hugely on physical size, and just how "ready" they are as such. Look at the difference between Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson - Rowell was much more ready for AFL footy, won three BoGs in his first four games. Anderson was much more of a slow-burn, despite being the older player. Now, with Rowell's injury, Anderson is probably the better player.

Don't forget that players are also a lot bigger than they were in years gone by, and arguably the talent pool has been enriched by just how long the veterans are able to play now.

Although there is merit in what you say regards early draft picks and most of the time you'd be right but there are exceptions to every rule given player physic and development. Jhye Clark reminds me of a Paul Kelly type whereby when he grows into his body he'll be a excellent footballer which is why I reckon Geelong recruited him as Jhye has a mental toughness at the ball and man that 'very few' young players have as per Tanner Bruhn. I applaud Geelong for recruiting players like Tanner Bruhn and Jhye Clark as although they may be a little undeveloped at first but in time when they're fully developed they're going to be a huge asset to the club.

NOTE - Players that have mental toughness at the ball and man can be some of the most under-rated players in the game, these type of players come in all different shapes and sizes but what they all have in common is 'mental toughness', it's not something you can buy from a shelf and this is what both Jyhe Clark and Tanner Bruhn have, it's inherit in them, in their DNA and it separates them from so many other players and they also in time make wonderful finals players as per Jimmy Bartel.

Last edited:
Solid efforts from Larkey, Curtis and Waterman in s**t teams.

I was pretty impressed to see Close in there - for someone who's been quiet at times, he's making the most of his involvement

I love him and wish him the best but he's not physically ready yet. Back to VFL to gain confidence and give others their deserved shot
I do acknowledge this thought, advocated by quite a few.

Using Zuthrie as an example: did Zuthrie return to VFL to develop his physique? IIRC coaches persisted with him. Happy to be corrected.

I certainly understand we do not want to play Kittens to exhaustion. My concern is if they only play VFL the jump to AFL is too huge a leap, as seen previously. I believe rotating Clark + other Kittens through AFL + VFL is probably the ideal.

Yep, just goes to show how much Chris Scott knows about footy compared to most of us. I thought Zuthrie was a spud for a long while but obviously the MC could see something I didn't.
Many of us did + vented our frustration. Scott, assistant coaches + MC persisted. Last season + this preseason Zuthrie has significantly increased his physical bulk + he's matured. When Stewart was injured on Saturday, Zuthrie took the responsibility + I think was very impressive, especially in atrocious conditions.

Persistence with Zuthrie, now manifests into, will Scott, assistant coaches + MC persist with Clark? In a previous comment, I asked if Zuthrie was rotated between VFL + AFL. I've forgotten.

Don't lump every Geelong supporter together.

Many of us still highly rate Duncan.
True, I was going to add that there are still plenty of Duncanites among us too.

It's just that as far as any neutral supporters etc I come across, the idea of Duncan being past it, a liability or in consideration for being imminently dropped never comes up. He's more universally recognised as a Rolls Royce outside of our hub. Plenty of other older players such as Pendles and Tuohy cop heat.

Anyway, I love our current mix of veterans, kids and players entering their prime. It appears the playing group and coaches do too. So that's really all that matters.

Atkins did some really good defensive rebounding work against Brisbane. Looked dangerous when he was near it
Yes, true. Still we have the Parfitt dilemma. Ignore Brisbane game, because many players struggled. Looking at Parfitt's form, I think he is in the 22.

NB:
1. Both are different types of players;
2. Stats included only as part of their game analysis.

Brisbane stats, both had:
17 Disposals
9 Kicks
8 Handballs
1 Mark
6 Tackles - Parfitt
4 Tackles - Atkins
7 Clearances - Parfitt
0 Clearances - Atkins
1 Goal - Parfitt
0 Goals - Atkins

Atkins also deserves to be in the 22.

Yes, it is a situation of who goes out, to fit Parfitt + Atkins into the team.

Is the Carlton game an opportunity to rest one of the Kittens?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back