Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I recollect that in the most important centre bounce of the game (3 mins to go, Carlton had just kicked 4 goals in about 43 seconds) our 3 mids were bowes, Atkins and Bruhn. I remember thinking it was a big statement that we trusted that crew in such a big moment.

We were also starting Blicavs on the wing, and he was as close to the defensive corner as permitted under the 6-6-6 rule

Ball movement!!!!
Wow - we absolutely torched them from the back half and from turnover between the arcs.
Play like that with our forwards and we will rack them up quickly.
Counter to that is don’t turn it over else you’ll get burnt the other way.
We had some incredible passages of play but also moments the coaches will work on.
Love our disciplined structure and our overall fitness in 2024, keep it coming Catters👍

It's starting to become really apparent how much the rest of the comp is getting sick of us fronting up and competing every year. We're becoming the New York Yankees of the AFL. I know I've said this many times yesterday, but I just can't believe how pathetic that commentary from Dunstall and King was. The whole schtick for the entire match was just "Carlton need to kick this one... Never seen a team kick so many goals from so few entires... Blues are having a rough time with the umpires... Blues should be winning this one... Need to capitalize here... Blah blah blah"
Its atrocious. And the most grinding thing for me is that Huddo and Gerard are both Geelong fans but really do such a fantastic job of covering games squarely.

Honestly I think a lot of people are seeing something that is not there with all this anti Geelong stuff.

I think overall the commentary around Geelong is incredibly complimentary and they were constantly praising their clinical efficiency yesterday.

Not sure what people are after tbh or why bothers people.

If you take Scott’s words at face value (dangerous I know) we won’t see them aiming to field the best 23 until finals and there’ll be lots of managing between now and then.

Early stab at the meat tray is Atkins replaces Dangerfield in the midfield, O’Connor/Dempsey to sub, Rohan into the 22.
It is really interesting now danger out…as there is no doubt we would have continued to manage a midfielder a week with danger and Guthrie back. Probably including Dempsey now in that MF rotation (even though he is always in the forward huddles at the break!). So would have seen him, Tanner, Bowes, Parfitt, Atkins all get a break I reckon over the next 5 weeks and maybe then 2e again given danger and Guthrie didn’t need a break and blitz hard to leave out.

We need to rest these players almost for team balance as well as management.

Now having danger out for those games lessens the need to rest for team balance. But maybe they do it anyway given we have Rohan, Knevitt, Clark and even Hardie all waiting for games and in good form.

I would not be shocked to see Dempsey rested in the next two weeks (not because of form but this would be the most games he has played in a row at any level of footy since we was 12! Last year he got regular rests as holdover or sub in afl). And I think Tanner and Parfitt will need a rest too. All of them will not want it given competition for spots!

Might not do any harm resting a close and possibly other small forwards as well. Duncan as well. If Hawk or Jezza get rested then Neale comes in.

So that means we can have someone like Rohan given a 4-5 week block with others being managed around him. And maybe also that means we can give some of those others a crack over that period

Having said all of that I can’t see them managing more than 1 a week given we still have some tough games before the bye that we want to win

Yeah a couple of weeks in a row now he has burnt team mates more than once but now almost the only flaw in his game other than getting under the ball a bit.LOVE HIM TO DEATH THOUGH.
I am wondering whether we need to accept that this comes with the territory. Maybe it isn’t selfish the way we would normally see it. It could be a byproduct of his focus which makes him so efficient. He looks wired to be the man. Role is to make the most of every opportunity and that requires singular focus? Hard then to be searching for options at same time

I don’t like it but wonder whether I will get used to it if he keeps getting 2-3 goals a week from very low possessioms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you just saying things and hoping they’re true?

Q1
Car - 10 hitouts
Gee - 5

Q2
Car - 13
Gee - 13 (5 Hawkins)

Q3
Car - 10
Gee - 11

Q4
Car - 11
Gee - 5
Hit outs don't tell the full story, Hell Geelong this year is proving that looking at stats is kind of pointless. I don't think he played very well but what Stanley did after quarter time was change his positioning to help quell the clearance dominance, he showed he could still adjust. Conway was being beaten against the lions in the first quarter and we don't know what would've happened if McInerney didn't get concussed.

It's a bit like the Parfit criticism on here, not his best game, but he still got in the way a lot with his positioning and pressure after quarter time.

A bit tired of the Rhys Stanley conversation to be honest. You have to expect Stanley to do Stanley things, and that's what he's doing. His marking is probably down because of the eye socket injury last year that affected his vision. Conway is the future but until he is ready to take the mantle, Stanley is going to keep on playing.

The criticism of players is fine and the discussion is great, the point I'm making is that the good thing about this team is even when players are having down days they still put in the effort and make a contribution.

The most under rated statistic in football .... CONVERSION

Converting chances in front of goal...converting prime rib and converting stewing steak... and making them all tender and tasty.

Carlton had more than enough chances ..so to some degree we were a little lucky. I also think both sides would ask why certain free kickes were given while others were not.

Just a few obervations

Stanley is still like trying to workout how a bee can fly or why a glass can hold water higher than its edges. Some players turn up relaxed and some turn up stressed to a tightened attention , like a sharp 2h pencil .. sharo the point of breaking. Did RS turn up relaxed and under estimating his opponent? I don't know but coped a bath especially early on. I give him credit for not dropping his head and fitting on ..when he was obviously miss matched. Someweeks fresh upnhe can look great but today he just looked like he had not played for two weeks. be interesting what tehy do next week..cause Conway is screaming ..play me.

Hawk the same ina way. Weitering has him at this stage of his career. Add an obvious lack of touch, getting burnt by a team mate and a bit miss-handing bad luck . Hope his form and luck turns ..as I dot want to ever see commentary that will come for him ...if he cant kick a goal or two.
Again , Neales form ..against a putrid opposition looked enticing.

Danger. Still such and explosive beast ..more than anyone else one our list..yet is his body saying its had enough?

To win enduring that probably say plenty.

Cameron ... and epitome of pain per touch. A 196cm version of Steve Johnson without the bad ankles?

The Guthries.. especially Zac. It almost took me back to a backline with the Nankervis brothers.

Max .Just signed for 4... what ever the contract was... we paid unders.

The first quarter from Demp .. a hint of what he might offer with another 30 games?

Overall , a fantastic group effort with a sprinkling of special sauce form Cameron and Max. Just about everyone , even the guys who had bad days had some moments , and contributed. Steady , experienced heads probably beat the side that should have been far closer if not in front. Plenty of big games in sport are won boy the competitor who doesn't lose it. That loss will burn Carlton.

The biggest home and away crowd for the Cats? Surprised at that ,,, but maybe the twightlight time works for us travelling. I could see us getting more games at that time based on that attendance.

I think that's a very pro Geelong take.

Possibly better... definitely not much better.

Both similar players, both far from the fringe.
Not really. Like most of us, I didn’t rate Zuthrie for ages.
Now he would be close to pushing for an early all Australian selection.

Mitch McGovern imo, is ridiculously overrated. His brother is/was a gun.
Just because I don’t rate him, doesn’t mean it’s “pro Geelong”

Weitering on the other hand is a gun.

Did Carlton really have 8 of their best 22 out
Yes, missing Nicholls, Doull, Jesaulenko, Silvagni, Williams, Bradley, Kernahan and Kouta.

I am wondering whether we need to accept that this comes with the territory. Maybe it isn’t selfish the way we would normally see it. It could be a byproduct of his focus which makes him so efficient. He looks wired to be the man. Role is to make the most of every opportunity and that requires singular focus? Hard then to be searching for options at same time

I don’t like it but wonder whether I will get used to it if he keeps getting 2-3 goals a week from very low possessioms
I agree. OHenry is neither particularly tall nor fast. But he has a football brain that knows where the goals are and he scores consistently. It can be a split second decision to take the shot or pass. He is still young and will develop his decision making.
And we can anticipate a time when he holds more of those big marks.

Honestly I think a lot of people are seeing something that is not there with all this anti Geelong stuff.

I think overall the commentary around Geelong is incredibly complimentary and they were constantly praising their clinical efficiency yesterday.

Not sure what people are after tbh or why bothers people.
It’s nauseating having to put up with a substandard product. Honestly, Dunstall yesterday was barracking! Just call the game!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back