Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think avoiding an injurious/dangerous tackle was the problem there so much as he should have used the tackle to hold the ball to Cottrel and force a ball up. At one point he even looked up at the umpire to "appeal" for HTB - halving that contest should have been the priority.
Yes, even turning Cottrell away from goal was the bare minimum necessary. He’d like his time again, for sure.

YIKES this is the post I put up in the Carton thread by mistake!
And I didn't get banz hammered ! :)

Scott's presser excellent, forthcoming on our structure, selection (Guthrie thank you) and injury.
Even mentioned the dreaded hamstring word along with know more later.
It's great we can listen to that and come away learning something.
Impressed.
Cameron's after game interview good too.

I agree that this might be the case, but the situation is quite different to Moonry/Hawkins, and it’s a bit worrying.

At the start of 2011 (Mooney’s last year), Hawkins had already played 65 AFL games and kicked roughly 80 goals.

On the other hand, right now, Neale has only played 6 games and kicked 4 goals. If this is the end of Hawkins, then Neale isn’t even close to partially filling his shoes. Key forwards usually take a few years to hit their straps at AFL level. We need Hawkins to hit decent form soon, and/or start looking for a key forward to bring in from another club at the end of this year.

Big difference is Neale doesnt have to be No1 when Hawkins hangs up the boots, we've got JC now.

Hawkins has dropped off considerably this year. He's still useful rucking in the forward line and he is a great set shot. However, recently he has had games where he was like a fish out of water. Goal kicking is irrelevant if you are never near the ball. He has looked very frustrated with himself this year. Today was not one of those games but he certainly didn't trouble the scoreboard. I think we will see Shannon Neale getting more games.

Hawkins was really bad against Liam Jones and Jacob Weitering. He’s got to lift but I’d need to see similar bad performances moving forward.

Yes, Stanley was thrashed in the hit-outs but I think he did his bit to apply pressure around the ground. He's got a few good games left in him; I wouldn't be writing him off quite yet. If he has a stinker against big Max, then I might start to worry a little (it'll depend on the final score result, though). So I'll put my faith in the MC - they've done all right... over the past TWENTY years or so :D

O'Connor was one of our best last week against Brisbane and rendered Neale to mainly ineffective disposals. He got a bit lost yesterday chasing Walsh but he did limit him to a minor extent. At 190cm and the ability to run all day I think he has it over Atkins. Coming on as sub Atkins had some energy to burn and probably sub is a good role for him. The idea that MOC cannot play football was ok 3 or 4 years ago but not in 2024.

Oh yeah, I agree about Duncan, he is our most composed ball user next to Stengle.
I see what you’re saying but I have to disagree I would want Atkins starting before him everyday. Atkins would have been perfect for Neale as a match up. MOC is a good player and is stiff to miss out I just put him behind a fair few of our others, I didn’t think I’d say it but I’d pick Parfitt ahead of him now as well.

Weitering was the 4th highest rated player on the ground. He had 19 disposals and took 12 marks. He took some of those marks in Carlton's forward half with Tom Hawkins watching on from some distance. Seriously, Hawkins wasn't shown any respect by his opponent who pretty much did as he wanted. So to refer to Hawkins as fulfilling his role by taking a quality defender is just not true.
Weitering was their best player and probably AA quality though

Have to love all the Carlton supporters on social media saying "We'll beat them in 6 weeks".

Only issue with that is we meet again in 8 weeks time, not 6. They actually play Essendon in 6 weeks.

I disagree, the others are small/medium mids (mostly small). Danger is the only big bodied bull that can also take a grab that we have.
Then we are in strife and our position on the ladder is a lie. I don't believe that for a second, if Geelong are relying on Danger then this season is lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to love all the Carlton supporters on social media saying "We'll beat them in 6 weeks".

Only issue with that is we meet again in 8 weeks time, not 6. They actually play Essendon in 6 weeks.
Point still stands that they are too overly confident of winning next time I hate to see the mental collapse when they lose again it was bad enough last night

Going to be very enjoyable reading all the new excuses they will come up with again to cope with it

No doubt the finals will be different ect

Then we are in strife and our position on the ladder is a lie. I don't believe that for a second, if Geelong are relying on Danger then this season is lost.
Interesting that you do not value Danger and think that Clark and Mannagh are as good as him. I was not saying we cannot win but that we do not have other mids that offer what he offers.

I wish I were a happier person who could just enjoy wins.

Sadly, I worry about areas that I think we have issues in.

We are top of the ladder, undefeated and obviously doing well... Most other supporters would be over the moon.

I'm out here worrying about things that could cost us flags like:

*Our rucks... Stanley is back to his being a liability best, Conway is a pup.
*Our midfield... Especially with Dangers issues.
*Hawkins and his lack of competitiveness.

We have got the job done so far... but how long can this hold up? Hopefully all year.

I think Dangers hammy has put a real dampener on tonight's win for me.
I hear you. I came away from last week's game with the same sort of worries, especially about Hawkins.

It's a long road to the 2024 flag and there are going to be some massively tough decisions made to get there.

I have a lot of trust in the people who will have to make them.

I don't think avoiding an injurious/dangerous tackle was the problem there so much as he should have used the tackle to hold the ball to Cottrel and force a ball up. At one point he even looked up at the umpire to "appeal" for HTB - halving that contest should have been the priority.
Yes his mistake was he didn't play to the whistle.

I disagree, the others are small/medium mids (mostly small). Danger is the only big bodied bull that can also take a grab that we have.
Yes, he's uniquely irreplaceable, but that does not justify taking anything other than the most conservative approach possible. If we lose a few H&A games, so be it.

We are 7-0. If we go 10 and 5 from here, we guarantee a home QF.

Am I being too generous to big Tommy in saying he's got a flair up of the old back injury and the clubs happy to keep rolling him out like last time but trying to use him to open the forward line and keep a very good opposition backman nailed back and not free to go on the attack.Is this Tom being managed on ground?

A very satisfying win - made even moreso considering the whinging it's triggered from Carlton fans. The narrative on their post-game thread is that Geelong somehow fluked the win through serendipitous machinations of the universe (umps, injury lists, three leafed clovers etc), and that it's a given they will steamroll us later this year to restore rightful order.

Parfitt had a shocker, those two broken tackles leading to Carlton goals were atrocious, but he'll hear all about that during the week so hopefully it doesn't happen again. Stanley and Hawkins also had shockers, but apart from these three it was a great effort.

Losing Danger will hurt, but we just need him fit and firing during finals. Dare I say, I don't think we can win the big one without him playing. But I do think this is a year for the taking, it's super even and why not us again?

Interesting that you do not value Danger and think that Clark and Mannagh are as good as him. I was not saying we cannot win but that we do not have other mids that offer what he offers.

We dont but our coaches can make tactical adjustments to cover this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back