Big Footy Book Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to audiobooks is part of my sleep routine. I used to be a terrible sleeper but over the last decade or so I put my book on and within half an hour I’m ready for z’s guaranteed. Have listened to a heap of books. I’m mainly a historical fiction fan. Favourites off the top of my head include Tom Clancy’s Red Storm Rising, a lot of Ken Follett novels like Eye of the Needle, Triple and the Kingsbridge series. Have also listened and read a lot of John LeCarre. I also liked Mark Greany’s Red Metal. Currently getting through all the Sharpe’s books. Just easy to listen to although theyre pretty cringy. As well as this Ive read a lot of sport books. Mainly golf. Hank Haney’s biography on Tiger was eye opening. Agassi’s auto maybe the best I’ve ever read.

All-time favourite books are the Hornblower series. Read them as a teen and I’ve relistened to them all. So great. Antony Beevor’s war books are also superb.

If anyone has any recommendations for a historical fiction based in world war 2 or the Napoleonic era, or a world war 3 “what if” or a good espionage novel let me know!

It's amazing how technology has rebranded and allowed to become incredibly niche what's basically an old fashioned radio show for the digital age as a podcast and it's totally revived the format.
I wondered why I don't mind podcasts ;)
Not that I listen to many. Listened to a few "Conversations" from the ABC for a while. And a couple of footy ones. But who's got the time?

Listening to audiobooks is part of my sleep routine. I used to be a terrible sleeper but over the last decade or so I put my book on and within half an hour I’m ready for z’s guaranteed. Have listened to a heap of books. I’m mainly a historical fiction fan. Favourites off the top of my head include Tom Clancy’s Red Storm Rising, a lot of Ken Follett novels like Eye of the Needle, Triple and the Kingsbridge series. Have also listened and read a lot of John LeCarre. I also liked Mark Greany’s Red Metal. Currently getting through all the Sharpe’s books. Just easy to listen to although theyre pretty cringy. As well as this Ive read a lot of sport books. Mainly golf. Hank Haney’s biography on Tiger was eye opening. Agassi’s auto maybe the best I’ve ever read.

All-time favourite books are the Hornblower series. Read them as a teen and I’ve relistened to them all. So great. Antony Beevor’s war books are also superb.

If anyone has any recommendations for a historical fiction based in world war 2 or the Napoleonic era, or a world war 3 “what if” or a good espionage novel let me know!
John Birmingham's WW2 alternative history trilogy goes all right.
Start with Weapon's of Choice:World War 2.1

Finished this one this week.

Another suburban thriller for Shari Lapena, and the second of hers I've read. I preferred her other book - Someone We Know. This was good without being great. I felt the twist was a little lacklustre, and revealed too early. And when it was revealed, I felt it deflated the remainder of the book.

3.5/5

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 7.57.14 pm.png

Wolf Hall is about Thomas Cromwell in the time of King Henry VIII. I'm huge on Tudor history so if you're interested I can give you some more recommendations. They're often quite long books though.
Awesome. I reckon I'll give it a read. I studied a Tudor history unit at uni way back in the day. So any recommendations would be great!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome. I reckon I'll give it a read. I studied a Tudor history unit at uni way back in the day. So any recommendations would be great!
The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman - very long read but completely enthralling, fictionalised account of the life of King Richard III

Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle - from the viewpoint of Katherine Parr (Henry VIII's 6th and last wife) and her maid

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O'Farrell - about the House of Medici, Lucrezia specifically (this one feels kind of simple but it's really beautifully written)

Henry VIII The Heart and the Crown by Alison Weir - a little slow to start but it's nice to read a book that actually humanises the big fella for a change, and it's also very historically accurate

The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman - very long read but completely enthralling, fictionalised account of the life of King Richard III

Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle - from the viewpoint of Katherine Parr (Henry VIII's 6th and last wife) and her maid

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O'Farrell - about the House of Medici, Lucrezia specifically (this one feels kind of simple but it's really beautifully written)

Henry VIII The Heart and the Crown by Alison Weir - a little slow to start but it's nice to read a book that actually humanises the big fella for a change, and it's also very historically accurate
You might like One Illumined Thread by Sally Colin-James

No, I’ll check it out. World wars, Napoleonic era, Cold War era I like.
If you don't mind a bit of fantasy/horror in it this series is good

1709981031079.jpeg

Finished this

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 6.57.43 pm.png

All kinds of ****ed up. Not for the squeamish or those with a weak stomach, but damn, this book is epic. Horrifying, intense, dramatic. Terrific.

Thanks for that dual recommendation Fadge. Just brilliant! Some of the best I have read.

Definitely need something lighter to read after that, so on to this!

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 6.59.01 pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back