Big Footy Book Club

Remove this Banner Ad

The Wager, a tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder by David Grann. The same author of the Killers of the Flower Moon, and is also meant to be the next movie Dicaprio and Scorsese make together.

It is a great book about a true story from the 1740s. Thoroughly enjoyed and it got better the longer it went.

I finished this yesterday. I read it in two sittings.

drowning-9781398507678_hr.jpg

Undoubtedly, one of the greatest books I'll ever have the pleasure of reading. From the opening paragraph, the intensity level was already maxing out. It took me on a gripping read that had me constantly wanting more. I was left shocked as to what was unfolding on the pages in front of me, and I didn't want the story to ever end.

5/5.

The Wager, a tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder by David Grann. The same author of the Killers of the Flower Moon, and is also meant to be the next movie Dicaprio and Scorsese make together.

It is a great book about a true story from the 1740s. Thoroughly enjoyed and it got better the longer it went.
Great maritime survival story.Read it a few months ago.
300 set out two handfuls returned years later.

Batavia by Peter FitzSimons is epic,Australia's first mass murder from the 1600s.
Batavia

Great maritime survival story.Read it a few months ago.
300 set out two handfuls returned years later.

Batavia by Peter FitzSimons is epic,Australia's first mass murder from the 1600s.
Batavia
I just bought Kokoda by Fitzsimmons. I've never read any of his books but have heard they are good.

If you're into the shipwreck genre from this era 'Skeletons on the Zahara' is a great read. The true story of a ship that was wrecked off the coast of Morocco in 1815 and the shipmates were taken into slavery by the local nomads.

Finished this yesterday

9781838776749.jpg

A really good mystery I thought. Lengthier than the other books I have read recently (461 pages), but I thought it was well paced and it definitely kept me guessing. Being a father - albeit to not a teenager - really made me empathise with the main character more and the choices that had to be made. Last third of the book really picked up and had me guessing, I didn't pick it.

4/5

Book 5 done for the year

It was a good mystery, that I didn't pick. I liked the main character and hearing about his dysfunctional family. There was lots of dark humour in there and I definitely laughed out loud a few times. The author does address the reader directly which I did find very jarring and it took me out of the story whenever it happened.

Liked it, but didn't love it.

4/5.

Attachments

• 44353030619166.jpg
    44353030619166.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I finished this

41pdybpdcYL.jpg

Wow. What a masterpiece of fiction. All sorts of ****ed up and not for the faint hearted or those with a weak stomach. Exceptional in every sense. It never dragged and I always wanted to know what was happening next. A genuine thriller.

5/5

Thanks Fadge!

The best thing is, there's plenty more where that came from...
View attachment 1887148
I got Hunting Evil as well (due to your rec), reading something a little less heavy for now.

Are the others just involving Hunter and not Lucien? Are they as good?

Currently on this:

71juXlhTfmL._SL1500_.jpg

If it's anything as good as the first one, I am set!

Last edited:
I got Hunting Evil as well (due to your rec), reading something a little less heavy for now.

Are the others just involving Hunter and not Lucien? Are they as good?

Currently on this:

32896247234590.jpg

If it's anything as good as the first one, I am set!
Yeah, you need a break between his books.

Hunting Evil is the only other one with Lucien.

I haven't read a bad book of his.

If you want a couple of others down the track, I'd go with 'The Caller' and 'One By One'.

Yeah, you need a break between his books.

Hunting Evil is the only other one with Lucien.

I haven't read a bad book of his.

If you want a couple of others down the track, I'd go with 'The Caller' and 'One By One'.
Maybe next Christmas. Think I'll need to read a few less ****ed up books before I go back to Hunter and Lucien lol

I read The Handmaid's Tale this week - I haven't watched the show so went in almost completely fresh. It's a heavy read, very detailed and yet also completely skims over a lot of the how and whys. It ended quite abruptly. It's a solid book though, 4/5 for moi.

I read The Handmaid's Tale this week - I haven't watched the show so went in almost completely fresh. It's a heavy read, very detailed and yet also completely skims over a lot of the how and whys. It ended quite abruptly. It's a solid book though, 4/5 for moi.
At Ottakars we hired a Christmas temp one year who was president of the Oxford Speculative Fiction Society and whose prized possession was a first of that that Atwood had signed to him. We almost broke him at our xmas party.

Is there another series coming out this year? The last two I told myself I wasn’t going to watch, later relented and got sucked in yet again 😊. It’s very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back