Big Footy Book Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone read this?

It's a fiction story centred around the JFK Assassination.

A long read, but one of the best books I have ever read.

View attachment 1887152
I just got Misery from the library, but once I'm done with that I'll give this a go. Sounds great.

I wanna also get this one:

Gerald's Game is a 1992 suspense novel by American writer Stephen King. The story is about a woman whose husband dies of a heart attack while she is handcuffed to a bed, and, following the subsequent realization that she is trapped with little hope of rescue, begins to let the voices inside her head take over

See what happens when they play Misery on FTA?

Skipped Kokoda for the moment and instead listening to ...

51-dMnp8ilL._SL500_.jpg

Narrated by the author. The reviews were great and so is this true story of Britain's greatest spy, Oleg Gordievsky.

It's a riveting read(listen). I still have about 1/3rd to go but Im going to miss it.

Ive almost read all of Ben MacIntyres books. They’re all great. Operation Mincemeat is fascinating

Ive almost read all of Ben MacIntyres books. They’re all great. Operation Mincemeat is fascinating
I have been thinking I will buy another of his, your comment may tip over to buying another.. Im listening through Audible and I think I enjoyed it even more as he was the narrator.

I was listening to Kokoda by Peter Fitzsimmons and it's not quite grabbing me for some reason. Not sure if it's the narrator or the writing.

Ive switched to ..

shopping

It's quite fascinating, and narrated by the author.

I have been thinking I will buy another of his, your comment may tip over to buying another.. Im listening through Audible and I think I enjoyed it even more as he was the narrator.

I was listening to Kokoda by Peter Fitzsimmons and it's not quite grabbing me for some reason. Not sure if it's the narrator or the writing.

Ive switched to ..

shopping

It's quite fascinating, and narrated by the author.

He’s got a great way of writing, at times you forget it’s not a novel.

That looks very interesting - have added to the ‘want to read’ list. Thanks!

Has anyone read this?

It's a fiction story centred around the JFK Assassination.

A long read, but one of the best books I have ever read.

View attachment 1887152
Yep, one of my favourite King books. Not horror per se but has a couple of perfectly creepy elements. I especially love the YELLOW TICKET MAN and the fact that he “knows something”.

One of King’s best books for mine. Aside from his most high profile books, I also really enjoyed ‘The Dead Zone’ and ‘Needful Things’.
Loved The Dead Zone book and also the movie with Christopher Walken.

Another one was Thinner, written under King’s pseudonym, Richard Bachman. Very horrifying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got 14 for Christmas. I bought another 3 over the break.

Silent Patient is from a colleague.

I've already read 10 books for the year so I'll get through them easily.
I usually borrow them from the library, or swap with friends, or buy secondhand. Rarely buy a new book, except

A site I have bought from and recommend is World of Books

www.wob.com

They sell new and secondhand, their prices are cheap and it’s free delivery. They are dedicated to preventing books going to landfill.
They stock all genres and often have books you can’t find anywhere else.
One book I bought was taking a while to turn up. I was getting worried, then it arrived and it had come from England.

I just read The Lovely Bones today - absolutely brilliant book but * me dead it broke my heart over and over again every time I turned the page. I've seen the movie so I knew it would be sad, but the book is a heck of a lot more expansive and just gut wrenching. I'll never read it again.

Finished Kokoda by Fitsimmons. Listened as an Audiobook which at times made me kind of zone out and not pay attention. I wonder if I would have appreciated it more if I read it, instead of listening to someone else read it to me. I haven't lived in Australia for 10 years so the overly 'ocker' accent, cliches and phrases sometimes give me a bit of a cringe feeling.

Audiobooks in that sense can be a bit hit and miss.

Currently listening to AB Facey's 'A Fortunate Life' and we're at Gallipoli at the present. I really enjoyed the stories of his youth, the harshness and the matter of factness of life. But again sometimes the narrator can be a turn off.

I dont really have time to read books anymore, but do have time to listen to audiobooks or podcasts whilst Im working or doing other tasks. Again I feel this book could be better read with my own 'voice', or imagination.

Finished Kokoda by Fitsimmons. Listened as an Audiobook which at times made me kind of zone out and not pay attention. I wonder if I would have appreciated it more if I read it, instead of listening to someone else read it to me. I haven't lived in Australia for 10 years so the overly 'ocker' accent, cliches and phrases sometimes give me a bit of a cringe feeling.

Audiobooks in that sense can be a bit hit and miss.

Currently listening to AB Facey's 'A Fortunate Life' and we're at Gallipoli at the present. I really enjoyed the stories of his youth, the harshness and the matter of factness of life. But again sometimes the narrator can be a turn off.

I dont really have time to read books anymore, but do have time to listen to audiobooks or podcasts whilst Im working or doing other tasks. Again I feel this book could be better read with my own 'voice', or imagination.
100%. I couldn’t listen to an audio book. The voice would put me off, I’d be thinking how “wrong” it was. I’d also zone off and miss crucial bits and lose the thread.

I used to catch an ABC radio overnight program that did a nightly audio book serial (might still do) and the concept didn’t appeal back then.

Yet when I was a kid we used to listen to radio serials all the time. It was great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back