Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
SA and WA look to have been left out in the cold should the proposed Junior Pathways be implemented by the AFL which appears to be a foregone conclusion. To be headed up by prominent Player Manager Craig Kelly and involving Victoria, NSW, Qld, NT and Tasmania only with big plans to live stream all games and televise more via Fox Footy etc. Mind boggling if what's suggested is fully implemented.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...nior-football-revolution-20180817-p4zy1g.html

Prominent agent Craig Kelly to lead AFL junior football revolution

I like that more junior games will be televised and such, but if we aren't included then I'd like to know why.

I know Champion Data have invested a lot of time and resources into the junior comps around the country, it's nice to see Fox doing their bit.

All I read was Victoria.

My immediate thought as well was where the hell is SA and WA ?? I reckon they figured that they couldn't afford to include WA, so couldn't be only leaving WA out of the proposed comp, so SA misses out as well. What a joke. If they were legit there should be 2 comps. Vic, SA, WA and Tas group A, and NSW, QLD and NT as group B. There is gonna be some blowouts with the strong Vic clubs against the QLD and NSW sides.

My immediate thought as well was where the hell is SA and WA ?? I reckon they figured that they couldn't afford to include WA, so couldn't be only leaving WA out of the proposed comp, so SA misses out as well. What a joke. If they were legit there should be 2 comps. Vic, SA, WA and Tas group A, and NSW, QLD and NT as group B. There is gonna be some blowouts with the strong Vic clubs against the QLD and NSW sides.

Where are WA and SA? Quite simply they are still run by the WAFL and SANFL and receive no funding or oversight from the AFL. The AFL run all the other state associations.

You do realise a fair percentage of the NSW draftees have attended Victorian Private Schools and play in the TAC Cup Comp? Jacob Hopper comes to mind here with my local club the GWV Rebels and others just off the top of my head that have played for the Murray Bushrangers like Todd Marshall, Jarrod Brander for the Pioneers.
Think your underestimating a tad the number off decent footballers coming out of the Northern states in more recent times.

It's actually a pretty big deal that this is happening. The SANFL need to step out from behind their rock and respond to this in terms of how they plan to give our kids similar exposure and pathways.

It's just another power play by the Vics. I can't wait for the day Aussie Rules is truly national and not this hybrid s**t.

You do realise a fair percentage of the NSW draftees have attended Victorian Private Schools and play in the TAC Cup Comp? Jacob Hopper comes to mind here with my local club the GWV Rebels and others just off the top of my head that have played for the Murray Bushrangers like Todd Marshall, Jarrod Brander for the Pioneers.
Think your underestimating a tad the number off decent footballers coming out of the Northern states in more recent times.
My comment was in regards to QLD as that's the underage footy I get to see. And for the most part, it's awful. A few good players in a side wont be able to have enough impact for their side to be competitive against the strong and established TAC cup sides.

Last edited:
It's actually a pretty big deal that this is happening. The SANFL need to step out from behind their rock and respond to this in terms of how they plan to give our kids similar exposure and pathways.

It's just another power play by the Vics. I can't wait for the day Aussie Rules is truly national and not this hybrid s**t.
You'll be waiting.

Where are WA and SA? Quite simply they are still run by the WAFL and SANFL and receive no funding or oversight from the AFL. The AFL run all the other state associations.

I reckon you're on the money.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SANFL clubs actually want it this way. The SANFL clubs most probably want to maintain their junior system as it is a pathway into the SANFL and not hand it over to the AFL to control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this on our board too but the best talents from other states spending at least every 2nd week in Vic getting used to the lifestyle and making friends and contacts is not going to be good for the non-Vic teams.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The cynic in me thinks they are trying to eradicate homesickness....... for the Vic clubs

This is a joke surely. How can 2 states be disadvantaged so badly?

Are they really though? Not convinced this is great for most of these kids playing in an Eastern Australian Youth League. I tend to think 17 year old kids are better off playing without the need to travel interstate during this final year of their school at same time. I suspect SA kids and WA kids will develop better by not needing to travel so much. It is a lot to ask of these kids to travel regularly up and down the East Coast of the nation at their age.

Looking at this 18 team league I assume they will play each other once and then a final 8 over 4 weeks to finish off.
If so, that means some teams will get 9 home games and some 8 home games. Hopefully the 9 teams that located the most distance from Melbourne are the teams that only travel 8 times a year and all get 9 home games. No way should a NT and Tassie under 18 team be travelling 9 times.

It’s 1987 and the creation of the national competition all over again.

As a traditional football state, it would not surprise me if we have said no due to our own pig headed ness and arrogance. Give it 5 years and we have a team or 2 but are behind the 8 ball again.

We are looking living through the birth of the Adelaide Crows again but without the treachery from Port Adelaide.

The AFL, WA and SANFL should just do it right from the start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back