Review Banners Bangs Big, Bye Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

For whatever reason I’m a little less over enthused about tonight’s result than many here. Don’t get me wrong; I think it was a fantastic win, awesome to see Fyfe impose himself on a game like that again, and really no complaints from tonight.

However, I can’t shake the feeling that in a parallel universe where we perform exactly the same, except that Libba and JUH play, the doggies don’t miss all those easy shots in the third, Weightman doesn’t go down, and all of a sudden we’re trudging home after another close loss, lamenting the pending apocalypse / utter and complete failure of a rebuild.

Even listening to Kane talk us up tonight it’s like, well, great, but next time we lose he’s going to be sh*ting on us again. And I think I’m just a bit frustrated that our narrative of success or failure is on such a knives edge at the moment.

Don’t be less enthused that was a big statement win, there is always swings and roundabouts. In a parallel universe Cox and Switkowski are fit and firing, Chapman hasn’t missed a year of footy, and Darcy isn’t retuning from another injury lay off.

I get that i do. But in that same parallel universe we have Amiss, Cox, McDonald and a fully fit Darcy running around. We have switta out there as well and we beat them by more. Sam Darcy had an insane mismatch and he capitalised. I'd like to him him try it on Cox or McDonald.
My thoughts exactly! Losing Draper in the 1st quarter when they have 2x 207cm forwards floating round was the worst thing that could have happened but we were still good enough to stop Lobb from getting near it, no way Darcy gets 3 if Cox or McDonald were playing.

Brayshaw actually has been fine tbh. Consistent, he’s been running everywhere. Different role. He’s trying to add goal kicking to his repertoire, which as a midfielder is gold.
Andy is still searching for the Goal Kicking which is a concern.

He had 2 shots on goal in the 3rd.

Missed one and then the next time passed it off to Clark.

Great to have the win and great to look like a team with a game plan that entails moving the ball forward with some pace and intent to score.

I thought the thing about Fyfe’s game was that it was not vintage Fyfe. It was the game of the ultimate team man not the game of a one man show. If only he could kick at goal.

Most things have been said but one thought I had was the difference between tonight and the game last year was Fyfe and Bont basically swapped. Bont had a shocker by his standards and Fyfe was BOG. His first quarter was unbelievable. One touch with everything and his vision and execution was as good as its every been. He setup or had a hand in practically everything good in that first and we had some of our best chains of positive ball movement and forward connection for the year.
Fyfe may have made his name as a bull, but his fast hands are his really elite skill; watched a game in Canberra where you're really close to the players and that's the thing that really stood out. It gave me optimism over the last few years that he could recapture some form even with the body not able to do the real bash and crash stuff any more. Last night, I thought he looked really dialled in with ball anticipation; he put himself in a position to win the ball by just going where it was going rather than contesting too much. A very smart game.

Significant improvement over last 2 weeks, with more flair and speed giving the forwards a much better look at it. Please keep this going.

Fyfe, Serong, Brayshaw huge.

Finally got a bit of luck with Bulldogs missing a heap of gettable goals in the third.

Darcy is a long way from where he was. English worked him over, hopefully he can catch the curve on match fitness.

U wot mate?

Tbf his set shots these days are a nightmare. How can anyone ever be confident when he lining up for goals anymore.

How has he become mentally become a lame duck from a set shot. When he is so strong and a champion or the game in so many other areas.

Maybe GF day back in 2013 has wrecked that part of his game he has never gotten over the mental side of goal kicking.

Because he had kicked 12.1 in 2013 before GF day from set shots.

Then 2 horror misses and he has never been the same again in that area.

Tbf his set shots these days are a nightmare. How can anyone ever be confident when he lining up for goals anymore.

How has he become mentally become a lame duck from a set shot. When he is so strong and a champion or the game in so many other areas.

Maybe GF day back in 2013 has wrecked that part of his game he has never gotten over the mental side of goal kicking.

Because he had kicked 12.1 in 2013 before GF day from set shots.

Then 2 horror misses and he has never been the same again in that area.

It's like Shaq with Free Throws. If he could kick goals consistently he would be perfect.

I like to appreciate his greatness.

For whatever reason I’m a little less over enthused about tonight’s result than many here. Don’t get me wrong; I think it was a fantastic win, awesome to see Fyfe impose himself on a game like that again, and really no complaints from tonight.

However, I can’t shake the feeling that in a parallel universe where we perform exactly the same, except that Libba and JUH play, the doggies don’t miss all those easy shots in the third, Weightman doesn’t go down, and all of a sudden we’re trudging home after another close loss, lamenting the pending apocalypse / utter and complete failure of a rebuild.

Even listening to Kane talk us up tonight it’s like, well, great, but next time we lose he’s going to be sh*ting on us again. And I think I’m just a bit frustrated that our narrative of success or failure is on such a knives edge at the moment.
I get it (I thought similar thoughts but more along the lines of "the last time we played Bulldogs they kicked a heap of these 50 / 50 shots that they are missing tonight) BUT I also think that in parallel universe world we don't get some dodgy umpiring against Port and Carlton and / or Banfield kicks at least a couple of those shots in those games, we win those two games and are sitting 5 and 2 (assuming we lost this game in that parallel universe)....

The reality is that we don't play in parallel universes with all their best players and all of ours too. "Best 22 being on the park" is only a concept for discussions on BigFooty forums to entertain us fans. The reality is that we are 4 and 3, have some promising upcomers, have some issues in ball movement etc. but still we are tracking okay for the year.....

Good to bounce back but I would say a worrying game in the grand scheme of things

So many players played at there peak level but still struggling to put a team with few winners on the night away

It hard to even understand how that could happen , most teams win that by 10 goals with that sort of dominance across the ground

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Simpson showed so much class and skill with his forward 50 entries.

Ideally we need 2 or 3 more who can do that. One more player who can break the lines in midfield orc defence would be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh right..so we’re playing a fantasy game where we have all of our good players available too? So cox is in and at his best, so Sam Darcy doesn’t get a kick? Is this how this works?

Amiss is playing and getting on the end of this far ball movement?

We beat who they put up…all you can do.
And did it with faster ball movement

Last edited:
The euphoric feeling lasts till this morning. That was a statement win that says Freo are a contender. Since we're talking parallel universes, there's a timeline where our guys stay fit and find their best and we go on a rampage.

That was A grade prime Fyfe last night and the connection between him and Darcy was actually ridiculous.

So many positives:
  • kicked 14 goals
  • all players contributed
  • new players looked at the level and their enthusiasm was infectious. Voss was like a puppy (a big breed) out there. He was enjoying himself so much and he had just a sprinkling of Tex Walker about him. Maybe a long bow, but I saw some similarities.
  • Treacy. Enough said. Phenomenal development.
  • Serong, the man is breaking records for fun now.
  • the backline, Chapman an instant improvement. Aish redeemed himself after a shocker.
  • Bailey ******* Banfield playing like an A grader. His last quarter was literally perfect, he's a very smart player.

I could go on. We could be undefeated right now, but it won't matter if we keep playing like that.

Well that was better. Few thoughts (pretty similar to most on here).

1) Have been massive on Treacy since he arrived and, now he's free of the curse of being my buddy (I picked no one this year, just to be sure), he's turning into a genuine potential superstar. Perfect foil for Amiss.

2) Great to see Fyfe back doing Fyfe things. His handballs to advantage were a thing to behold.

3) Banfield, along with a lot of the team, wasn't great last week, but if he isn't one of the best utility players in the league on what I've seen this year I'll eat my hat.

4) Tabs isn't playing again bar a major injury crisis. Voss was energetic, pressured well, and could have got a couple. As others have pointed out, would love to see an Amiss, Treacy, Voss forward line with Jackson just marauding around. I think Amiss's ground game and Treacy/Voss pressure make this work without teams just walking it out.

5) Got one in Simpson. We should ease off expectations as he's going to have some quiet ones, but he's got it. His speed of thought and composure is top rate, could be the half-forward link inside 50 we've beem looking for long-term.

6) I know people have been down on Johnson this year but I thought he did some really nice things. That kick he dinked over the defender on the edge of the 50 to set up a shot was superb and showed a speed of thought we haven't seen from Erasmus yet. He's going to be a gun over the long haul, especially when he plays in his preferred spot.

7) We've massively missed Chappy's class coming out of defensive 50. Huge upgrade on Hughes (who is excellent depth), and such a smooth mover. Also a better intercepter than Hughes - look for him to launch more attacks from the back as he grows this year.

8) Freddie's speed and goal-kicking makes such a difference. Still needs consistency, but quickly approaching A-grade status. It's no surprise we struggled to change things around last week without Freddie and Switta's speed.

9) JOM was solid but would be looking to ease him out so Switta and Simpson can get a run together. We look so much more dangerous when we employ our leg speed, and he has 7 tenths of heck all.

10) Basic skills were still pretty poor. We were dominant early and should have been 4 up, maybe more, but conceded a few due to Auskick level passing and kicking. Sort that out and we'll be kicking some big scores.

11) Loved Longmuir's little 'heck you' to the journo's regarding him being 'such a dour defensive coach'. Not the heights of 'you're quite brilliant Shane' but nice to see him trying.

All in all a good response to last week's horror show, just got to follow it up now next week. Overwhelming favourites, early Sunday morning game in Melbourne, what could go wrong?

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well that was better. Few thoughts (pretty similar to most on here).

1) Have been massive on Treacy since he arrived and, now he's free of the curse of being my buddy (I picked no one this year, just to be sure), he's turning into a genuine potential superstar. Perfect foil for Amiss.

2) Great to see Fyfe back doing Fyfe things. His handballs to advantage were a thing to behold.

3) Banfield, along with a lot of the team, wasn't great last week, but if he isn't one of the best utility players in the league on what I've seen this year I'll eat my hat.

4) Tabs isn't playing again bar a major injury crisis. Voss was energetic, pressured well, and could have got a couple. As others have pointed out, would love to see an Amiss, Treacy, Voss forward line with Jackson just marauding around. I think Amiss's ground game and Treacy/Voss pressure make this work without teams just walking it out.

5) Got one in Simpson. We should ease off expectations as he's going to have some quiet ones, but he's got it. His speed of thought and composure is top rate, could be the half-forward link inside 50 we've beem looking for long-term.

6) I know people have been down on Johnson this year but I thought he did some really nice things. That kick he dinked over the defender on the edge of the 50 to set up a shot was superb and showed a speed of thought we haven't seen from Erasmus yet. He's going to be a gun over the long haul, especially when he plays in his preferred spot.

7) We've massively missed Chappy's class coming out of defensive 50. Huge upgrade on Hughes (who is excellent depth), and such a smooth mover. Also a better intercepter than Hughes - look for him to launch more attacks from the back as he grows this year.

8) Freddie's speed and goal-kicking makes such a difference. Still needs consistency, but quickly approaching A-grade status. It's no surprise we struggled to change things around last week without Freddie and Switta's speed.

9) JOM was solid but would be looking to ease him out so Switta and Simpson can get a run together. We look so much more dangerous when we employ our leg speed, and he has 7 tenths of * all.

10) Basic skills were still pretty poor. We were dominant early and should have been 4 up, maybe more, but conceded a few due to Auskick level passing and kicking. Sort that out and we'll be kicking some big scores.

11) Loved Longmuir's little '* you' to the journo's regarding him being 'such a dour defensive coach'. Not the heights of 'you're quite brilliant Shane' but nice to see him trying.

All in all a good response to last week's horror show, just got to follow it up now next week. Overwhelming favourites, early Sunday morning game in Melbourne, what could go wrong?

Couldn't agree more with this, especially regarding Chappy. Hopefully at some point this season we get to see a full strength side.

Has Voss just stamped Sturts passport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smidge of recency bias in this.

Sturt could easily of had the sort of game Voss had last night.

When we play attacking football Sturt will be of benefit.

Sturt was incredibly unlucky to play in the game where most of our team didn’t show up.

That said, Sturt has had years to grab an opportunity and you do need to change over the list.

I’d love to see Sturt get a block of 5 games to be sure. I really think he has something to add, but that may be based on pure blind faith.

O'Meara following Bontempelli around all night worried me but he did the job. That missed shot for goal from 5m out was characteristic of a player who has been nagged all night and still expects his opponent to tackle him any second.

I'm so happy Treacy is doing everything I was terrified he would do at another club if we didn't extend his contract with us. If he had moved anywhere he would be talked of as being the steal of the trade period. Now he's going to be a future superstar in purple.

Cooper Simpson. How clean. That mark over his head, the zip, the chip. He could have launched it from 55m out at goal and I'd have been excited too but that effective team play is what will keep him in the side shirt term.

Sam Darcy, what a great father son pick for the Dogs. Amazing hands, one touch. Like throwing a tennis ball into a moshpit and he sticks up a hand and takes it. A real talent.

Chapman does just make things happen. He looked like a skinny kid back there though. Zig zag, open up the play and then using it well.

Now... the bad one...

We cannot have opposition teams work off Sean Darcy that much as Tim English did tonight. That match up was the thing keeping the dogs in it. He would be their funnel moving the ball forward and Sean couldn't get near him. Obviously Darcy will lift his fitness as the season goes on but it's a vulnerability we need to lock down, and it looked like they did by the end.

His work allowed out mids to dominate though, which kept us in the game.

O'Meara following Bontempelli around all night worried me but he did the job. That missed shot for goal from 5m out was characteristic of a player who has been nagged all night and still expects his opponent to tackle him any second.

I'm so happy Treacy is doing everything I was terrified he would do at another club if we didn't extend his contract with us. If he had moved anywhere he would be talked of as being the steal of the trade period. Now he's going to be a future superstar in purple.

Cooper Simpson. How clean. That mark over his head, the zip, the chip. He could have launched it from 55m out at goal and I'd have been excited too but that effective team play is what will keep him in the side shirt term.

Sam Darcy, what a great father son pick for the Dogs. Amazing hands, one touch. Like throwing a tennis ball into a moshpit and he sticks up a hand and takes it. A real talent.

Chapman does just make things happen. He looked like a skinny kid back there though. Zig zag, open up the play and then using it well.

Now... the bad one...

We cannot have opposition teams work off Sean Darcy that much as Tim English did tonight. That match up was the thing keeping the dogs in it. He would be their funnel moving the ball forward and Sean couldn't get near him. Obviously Darcy will lift his fitness as the season goes on but it's a vulnerability we need to lock down, and it looked like they did by the end.

Agree, Dogs should be looking very hard at Bevo as not to waste what will be one of, if not the best forward line in the comp. Darcy is a jet for sure.

The positive side of the Darcy/English scrap was, whilst it exposed Darcy's lack of match fitness, there really aren't many English's out there. Gawn and Brody are probably the two that worry me, but he should be much fitter by the time they swing around.

Now... the bad one...

Very few teams want the ball transitioning through their ruckman. Typically skills are poor and decision making average. There aren’t many teams like the Bulldogs. Darcy has to get fitter no doubt, but his strength in the actual ruck contests was awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back