Review Banners Bangs Big, Bye Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I find the Voss Vs Sturt comparisons hilarious, Sturt isn’t and should never been seen as a 3rd tall, he’s a speedy medium, only forward faster than him is Frederick, he’d be more likely to replace Walters than Amiss.
Voss played a great game, contested well against their tall backs, and tackled hard for a big man while bringing others into the game, that’s not Sturts role though, he’s the finishing class we need (that Frederick also provides).

Someone made that point about record with and without Freddy during the week and after that game I can see it 100%. Wasn’t even his best game but just the speed and positioning is so important in transition. Think Simpson could have similar impact if allowed to play each week

If Simpson starts getting on the jets and runs behind the pack towards goal the opposition will have to structure up to block it - like they do with Frederick. When we don't have that higher level speed in the forward line they don't bother with a sweeper behind and play the extra at the contest or, worse for us, ahead of the contest.

There were a lot less double teaming of players last night, more one on ones, for that reason. The dogs certainly remember Frederick.

Simpson looks so clean with his hands that if he swoops on the loose ball and bolts off towards goal he will be able to draw his opponent away from the contest (since he will be instructed not to let him goal side) and Cooper just walks away from the stoppage making space for our already dominant stoppage team.

I really don't want Simpson to come out of the side

For whatever reason I’m a little less over enthused about tonight’s result than many here. Don’t get me wrong; I think it was a fantastic win, awesome to see Fyfe impose himself on a game like that again, and really no complaints from tonight.

However, I can’t shake the feeling that in a parallel universe where we perform exactly the same, except that Libba and JUH play, the doggies don’t miss all those easy shots in the third, Weightman doesn’t go down, and all of a sudden we’re trudging home after another close loss, lamenting the pending apocalypse / utter and complete failure of a rebuild.

Even listening to Kane talk us up tonight it’s like, well, great, but next time we lose he’s going to be sh*ting on us again. And I think I’m just a bit frustrated that our narrative of success or failure is on such a knives edge at the moment.
I was actually a bit like this as well, was going to come post after the game but everyone was so positive and I didn't want to be a downer.

I was sitting there most of the time feeling like we were just hanging on and it had the feeling of the Port and Carlton games (against much lesser opponent, at home).

I did enjoy the last 10 minutes a lot though and there were things I definitely took from the game. Treacy, Voss, Simpson and Chappy all huge positives.

Good to get the win and break the rot a bit

Just watched the replay. Pretty good performance overall and even JOM and Sonny did some good things. Aish took some potentially goal saving marks which was great. Yeah his turnover caused Dog’s first goal but overall he was brilliant. Chappy’s ball use is elite and while he seemed a bit rusty (understandably) his decision making was very good. Jordan Clark has to be in AA calculations. Cyclone is becoming a very powerful player, we would’ve been in all sorts of trouble without him. Voss is a brute of a man and he really should stay in the team.

What I didn’t like was missed easy shots and we were lucky Dogs missed equally easy shots on the other end. Better teams make you pay dearly for that and change momentum. I can only assume that goal kicking is practiced regularly at training so the issue is possibly just mental (akin a pro golfer missing 1m putt). Either way it needs addressing and that’s the biggest issue with the team atm. Fix that and this team is more than capable of contending for the flag.

I really don't think enough has been said about how well our defence held up last night. Dogs had five guys over 190cm when Bont floated back there. Meanwhile we had Pearce and Chapman who hasn't played AFL in over a year for the majority of the game. How they didn't dominate I'm not sure, but we saw how much Darcy benefited from us being undersized.

Also Freddy back cannot be understated. His kicking i50 is arguably the best in the team and he kicks goals. We really missed him the last few weeks.
The second quarter when Walker was down and we had JOM and Banfield filling in down back was quite the time to be alive. I’d also like to point out that there was a marking contest in the middle of the ground where Sam Darcy and English got in each others way and Serong of all people got the spoil

I was actually a bit like this as well, was going to come post after the game but everyone was so positive and I didn't want to be a downer.

I was sitting there most of the time feeling like we were just hanging on and it had the feeling of the Port and Carlton games (against much lesser opponent, at home).

I did enjoy the last 10 minutes a lot though and there were things I definitely took from the game. Treacy, Voss, Simpson and Chappy all huge positives.

Good to get the win and break the rot a bit

Yeah funnily enough I just watched the replay and feel much more positive today. At the game last night for the majority I just had this absolute dread that it was going to be Carlton/Port part 3, us on top for most of the game in a tight contest and playing generally well only to have a couple go against us at the very end. Even though it didn’t turn out that way, that feeling still clung around into the night.

Watching the replay I’m just so impressed with the overall youth of our team, the idea that Jackson, Treacy, Amiss, Clarke, Young, Sharp (could keep going) are really still at the early stages of the their development and excited what a couple more years of playing together will do to this team.

for what it’s worth the twitter expected score models people come up with had both sides kicking pretty much as expected, with the dogs accuracy in the 3rd a regression from them scoring everything early

Serong singled Darcy out in his post match interview with Pav when discussing why the midfield got on top. Said he was dominate in hit outs and has great chemistry with fyfe.

Darcy was definitely tired but he is a great stoppage ruck man - maybe the best. He’ll build into the season nicely and Jackson will get a bit more certainty as well
Plus frees up Treacy to concentrate on what he does best.

Great to have the win and great to look like a team with a game plan that entails moving the ball forward with some pace and intent to score.

I thought the thing about Fyfe’s game was that it was not vintage Fyfe. It was the game of the ultimate team man not the game of a one man show. If only he could kick at goal.
It was him using his elite knowledge of stoppages and reading the game. He doesn’t have to be fast, or bash and crash like during Brownlow years. His first touches are amongst the best in the league.
Love the fact he can just go forward and use his marking as a strength

I find the Voss Vs Sturt comparisons hilarious, Sturt isn’t and should never been seen as a 3rd tall, he’s a speedy medium, only forward faster than him is Frederick, he’d be more likely to replace Walters than Amiss.
Voss played a great game, contested well against their tall backs, and tackled hard for a big man while bringing others into the game, that’s not Sturts role though, he’s the finishing class we need (that Frederick also provides).
Not Walters, Frederick. Sturt has only one position and Frederick is better at it. Voss is only getting a game if one of Jackson, Treacy, Darcy, or Amiss are unavailable.

Not Walters, Frederick. Sturt has only one position and Frederick is better at it. Voss is only getting a game if one of Jackson, Treacy, Darcy, or Amiss are unavailable.
Why not have a crack at having three alternative forwards with Jackson.
Pigeonholing Jackson into a ruck or forward is denying the team to really have a unique player capable of breaking games open. He would be a bigger better version of Blicavs.

Quite a few people dissing the dogs. They brought their A-game. They were able to bring the ball again and again to be within a kick of quality talls and locked the ball better in their forward 50. The dogs did almost everything right except finishing and had a distinct height mismatch with more (and quality) talls than we could defend with, after Draper went down early we were in trouble due to that mismatch. Pulling off a team defence is not as spectacular as watching a kpd vs kpf battle, but that team defence to contain them was probably our best defence effort yet under Longmuir.

If we yielded an inch, they would have the points And deservedly, they came out to win and played their socks off. Which is credit too, to us, we played our socks off too, it was a strong defensive game by us (a bit weak forward). But also a nice transition to attacking footy by us, a bit tough for the dogs coaching as their isn't much video of us being so aggressive to counter that...

That was an incredibly hard running game for 4 quarters (sustained for a few games), I hope we have enough juice in the tank for next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for what it’s worth the twitter expected score models people come up with had both sides kicking pretty much as expected, with the dogs accuracy in the 3rd a regression from them scoring everything early

I was going to respond with essentially this feeling, the Bulldogs were very clinical in the first quarter in particular, and then had a poor third quarter.
Fatigue always plays a part, although Bont's miss was brutal for them.

Agreed, Frederick is the most like for like, I’d like to see us go full out attack though and play both, kicking goals and starting at centre bounce again is better than bringing pressure and locking it in our forward 50.

Great to have the win and great to look like a team with a game plan that entails moving the ball forward with some pace and intent to score.

I thought the thing about Fyfe’s game was that it was not vintage Fyfe. It was the game of the ultimate team man not the game of a one man show. If only he could kick at goal.

He's tried the one man show thing since coming back and he can't do it any more. Hopefully last night shows that he's found a way to still be a great mid even when he can't bust through 4 tackles at once any more.

Agree, Dogs should be looking very hard at Bevo as not to waste what will be one of, if not the best forward line in the comp. Darcy is a jet for sure.

The positive side of the Darcy/English scrap was, whilst it exposed Darcy's lack of match fitness, there really aren't many English's out there. Gawn and Brody are probably the two that worry me, but he should be much fitter by the time they swing around.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed. Bit hard on Darcy. English runs everyone around like this. That's why he was the AA ruckman last year.

Finally watched, yes the Dogs missed Libba but it's usually the big body of Bont who's been the destroyer against us and we had him largely under the cosh.

The what ifs here about them kicking straight can be applied to anything. What if Banfield converted the early chances last week, Treacy took that mark late vs Carlton, you can go on forever

We still waste a few too many inside 50s but if Treacy actually sticking them will go a long way to rectifying that - even if Khamis is a pretty average 1-on-1 defender.

I feel Sturt can have a role such as Fritsch, who provides absolutely no defensive pressure and isn’t required to. It’s just goals.
Having every forward needing to do it for Fremantle is silly, IMO. What do the coaches value more? Clearly defensive acts.

Agreed. Bit hard on Darcy. English runs everyone around like this. That's why he was the AA ruckman last year.
English has never been about hitouts. Case in point he got dominated by an aging Goldstein v Essendon. I think he conceded 50 hitouts last season 5 times. As an AA ruckman, that’s crazy.

Honestly, he’s a forward first and ruckman second. But because Western Bulldogs have talls galore, ruck it is. His best football would be full forward IMO.

Really think he would thrive in a Darcy ruck tandem. He’s a brilliant mark. Unfortunately Naughton is stubborn as they come, and doesn’t or thinks is inclined to play CHB.

I feel Sturt can have a role such as Fritsch, who provides absolutely no defensive pressure and isn’t required to. It’s just goals.
Having every forward needing to do it for Fremantle is silly, IMO. What do the coaches value more? Clearly defensive acts.
The problem is Fritsch is absolutely elite at what he does. In a full season he gets you 50 goals, playing for a team where the key fwds are mostly decoys/role players. Sturt is nowhere near that level: as a talent he's far closer to Will Hayward than Fritsch, and Hayward absolutely applies pressure and does the dirty stuff. We also have a player whose role largely revolves around scoring and not much else: his name is Jye Amiss, and he's better at that role than Sturt in almost every way imaginable.

If Sturt has a run where he's less than completely terrible in the contest, at pressure, at getting around the ground, at winning the ball at ground level, etc he'll get games, as he did last season. But bottom line is he's not good enough for his role to just be "score goals".

Quite a few people dissing the dogs. They brought their A-game. They were able to bring the ball again and again to be within a kick of quality talls and locked the ball better in their forward 50. The dogs did almost everything right except finishing and had a distinct height mismatch with more (and quality) talls than we could defend with, after Draper went down early we were in trouble due to that mismatch. Pulling off a team defence is not as spectacular as watching a kpd vs kpf battle, but that team defence to contain them was probably our best defence effort yet under Longmuir.

If we yielded an inch, they would have the points And deservedly, they came out to win and played their socks off. Which is credit too, to us, we played our socks off too, it was a strong defensive game by us (a bit weak forward). But also a nice transition to attacking footy by us, a bit tough for the dogs coaching as their isn't much video of us being so aggressive to counter that...

That was an incredibly hard running game for 4 quarters (sustained for a few games), I hope we have enough juice in the tank for next week.
Good summation of the game.

I too thought it was a good game to watch and the Bulldogs kept serving it up but we managed to absorb it and kick away in the last 10 minutes.

Banfield had a pretty complete game both defensively and offensively and his two quick goals in the last were telling.

Losing Weightman hurt them as he has been in good form lately.

Defensively we were very good but also added a bit of chaos ball when moving the ball forward quickly with handball chains, which made us more unpredictable.

Bont had a lot of the ball with 27 possessions but he didn't hurt us as normal.

Fyfe in beast mode and Serong dominating and Young sweeping helped us keep the ball moving.

It was also impressive how we covered with the early loss of Draper by shuffling the pack down back.

A pretty complete game from us actually.

Very positive signs overall - particularly the much faster ball movement and the return of the handball running and gunning that had basically disappeared over the last few weeks.

It'd be fascinating to have been a fly on the wall in last week's review, I think we went into the Adelaide road trip (understandably) thinking we'd need to play a bit more defensively: up against two top four contenders with an undermanned backline. And it worked to certain degree, but I think it also resulted in the players going back into their shells a bit that allowed the Eagles to mug us.

Outside the obvious highlights, I thought Aish was absolutely immense down back; close to his best game for a couple of years.

On Treacy, what I keep coming back to is that he's only 21. Given how things seem to be clicking into place for him, the ceiling is incredibly high.

Voss looks like he belongs at this level - almost a shame that he'll have to come out for Jye, but we don't want to muck around with the structure any further than we have already.

Simpson, IMO, warrants a full game next week - agree with those suggesting Sonny as the sub. Could be the perfect impact player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back