The Big Freo Board Booze Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll get the ball rolling with our own special brew

1662346758416.jpeg

This was way better than I thought it would be. I was expecting a bog standard lager like Carlton Dry but this has a nice hoppy body, definitely a delicious summer beer and wouldn't be upset if this started pouring at Optus

Peroni Red, Better Beer are in heavy rotation currently.

I keep getting gifted scotches for christmas/birthdays and I am not complaining at all. Balvenie, Glen Moray, Dimple.

Have a subscription with Hay Shed Hill and their Malbecs get a fair hammering when entertaining. Pepperjacks Shiraz is no slouch either for reasonably inexpensive, easy drinking Red for the cooler months.

I'm thirsty for 11am on Monday now. Thanks ;)

Happy for some bourbon recommendations for whiskey sours, old fashioneds etc. as don't have any day-to-day scotch left and rather go down the bourbon route anyway

By coincidence because it was fathers day the last beer to pass my lips last night was one of my all time favourites - Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. I've been involved in a beer tasting group for about 10 years now and mentioned to my wife a few years ago about this amazing beer and since then it's been a fathers day tradition for me to get one from the kids.

shopping

Do yourself a favour for those special occasions if you've neve tried it and like a Porter.

On the more everyday beer front, sorry I can't agree about Wharfie I'm afraid, I didn't find it enjoyable and I usually quite like the Pirate Life.
I'm only drinking mid strengths on a regular basis nowadays, and saving the real stuff for weekends. Predominantly still falling back on good old Rogers as my go to but also the Running with Thieves Session Ale or Colonial Small Ale are both tasty mid strengths that I buy when on special.

By coincidence because it was fathers day the last beer to pass my lips last night was one of my all time favourites - Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. I've been involved in a beer tasting group for about 10 years now and mentioned to my wife a few years ago about this amazing beer and since then it's been a fathers day tradition for me to get one from the kids.

shopping

Do yourself a favour for those special occasions if you've neve tried it and like a Porter.

On the more everyday beer front, sorry I can't agree about Wharfie I'm afraid, I didn't find it enjoyable and I usually quite like the Pirate Life.
I'm only drinking mid strengths on a regular basis nowadays, and saving the real stuff for weekends. Predominantly still falling back on good old Rogers as my go to but also the Running with Thieves Session Ale or Colonial Small Ale are both tasty mid strengths that I buy when on special.
Mid strength hazies are my go to at the moment. If you're looking for something new try Balter Easy Hazy, probably my favourite beer of the year

Mid strength hazies are my go to at the moment. If you're looking for something new try Balter Easy Hazy, probably my favourite beer of the year
Cheers I will look out for it, hopefully it's better than Balter's Captain Sensible, I don't rate that at all. Would you place the Easy Hazy above it?

Don't get this fascination with Hazy beers - there's something about how they feel on the palette that I just don't enjoy.

Mainly enjoying stouts/porters and brown ales in winter - especially if they have a bit of a coffee vibe rather than chocolate. Don't mind a few of the pale ales knocking about - still think the Little Creatures Pale is up there with the best.

Really got in to Sour Beers during the summer - along with several Kolschs that are knocking about (Eagle Bay being one of my favourites). The Electric Dry Hop Acid Test from Garage Project (NZ brewer) probably my favourite sour.

Don't get this fascination with Hazy beers - there's something about how they feel on the palette that I just don't enjoy.

Mainly enjoying stouts/porters and brown ales in winter - especially if they have a bit of a coffee vibe rather than chocolate. Don't mind a few of the pale ales knocking about - still think the Little Creatures Pale is up there with the best.

Really got in to Sour Beers during the summer - along with several Kolschs that are knocking about (Eagle Bay being one of my favourites). The Electric Dry Hop Acid Test from Garage Project (NZ brewer) probably my favourite sour.
Yeah hazies are definitely an "either you like them or dont" thing, they're definitely my go to.

Garage project is an elite brewery, most of what they produce is quality

Sours? No thanks.
I do appreciate the lambic history but the first time I tried a Petrus or one of those traditional Belgium sours I hated it. I still can't reconcile them with what I drink beer for, they're hard work.

What are your favourite pours at the moment?

Best reply here as to not derail this thread further :sweatsmile:

Too many to name, but I'm really digging the finished bourbons. Woodford double oaked, Old Forester 1910, Chattanooga Port finished whiskey. But then I also love the high proofers. Elijah Craig barrel proof (120+ proof), Larceny Barrel Proof.

What do you like?

I supposed you guys get the basic Jim Beam and Jack Daniels in AUS. What top shelf bourbons can you find?

Too many to name, but I'm really digging the finished bourbons. Woodford double oaked, Old Forester 1910, Chattanooga Port finished whiskey. But then I also love the high proofers. Elijah Craig barrel proof (120+ proof), Larceny Barrel Proof.

What do you like?

I supposed you guys get the basic Jim Beam and Jack Daniels in AUS. What top shelf bourbons can you find?
In the Whisky sphere it's hard for me to go past Hakushu, so good.

We also have a really good craft distillery in South-West WA called Limeburners who put out some really nice stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brew your own, you lazy bastards :)

Haha. I have been since 1996. Won four medals as a professional brewer at the North American Brewing Association Awards back in 2001-02ish, but now just homebrew. ;)

What do you like to brew? I'm mostly German lagers with an occasional stout or porter thrown in. I've got an 7.5% maibock and a 5.2% schwartzbier on tap right now. You are welcome any time to come and sample. :)

In the Whisky sphere it's hard for me to go past Hakushu, so good.

We also have a really good craft distillery in South-West WA called who put out some really nice stuff

I've never tried Hakushu, but I've had Hibiki. It was nice. Not a huge fan of single malts/scotches/jap whiskies but can appreciate their quality!

Never heard of Limeburners and sadly doesn't look like they're distributed here in the U.S.

I highly recommend the range of beers from Impi Brewery. It's a small business in Wangara worth checking out and worth supporting.

I'll get the ball rolling with our own special brew

View attachment 1499943

This was way better than I thought it would be. I was expecting a bog standard lager like Carlton Dry but this has a nice hoppy body, definitely a delicious summer beer and wouldn't be upset if this started pouring at Optus
good choice. I still got a couple left. drank 2 during the 2022 finals series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back