Review Banners Bangs Big, Bye Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Only got to tune in about halfway through the third quarter. Good performance by majority, didn’t really notice JOM and Sonny apart from his goal towards the end. I liked smothers by Emmet and Banfield and Cyclone’s marking. Simpson has some serious skills and I like his offensive mindset. I think both Simpson and Voss should stay in the team, drop JOM instead to bring Amiss back.

Very happy 😊

Controversial thoughts perhaps… didn’t mind either Sonny or Johnson’s games. Johnson lacked poise but ran hard. Sonny popped up all over the place (and one of the free kicks against I don’t think he even touched the guy)
Yeah, Johnson was good I thought too. He just needs time and experience to develop into something better.

The Dogs coming out to play isnt a bad thing. Dogs usually push us to play well and force us to attack and score goals. Tonight isnt an exception.

Glad freo won tonight 14.11.95 to dogs 10.11.71.

Some of the most memorable wins have been vs the dogs at home in WA.

2016: Beat the dogs in Perth for Pavs final game. We all shed tears.

2017: Memorable saturday night game. Back to the wall after smashed by cats in round 1 in WA, then had that 89 point loss to Port in round 2 on a s**ty sunday arvo. 6 days later we beat the dogs by 16 points.

2018: An emtional game. We won easily but it was days after Shane Yarran passing away. And yes I will always have intense Hatred towards the media, especially channel 7 for what they did.

2022: Yep that famous 2022 elim final win. I will savour that elim final win, that was the end of our 2016-21 rebuild.

Don't forget 2011 Len Hall game on Anzac Day, where Van Berlo kicked 4 and Kepler Bradley nearly tackled himself on the goal line yet still got the 6 points. Mark Harvey famously said after 'that boy really worries me sometimes, he really does'.

Classic Freo days.

We may play it safe with Amiss I reckon especially as it’s an away game and he’s been battered/bruised this year.

Always good to keep winning team together. Wouldn’t be rushing Switta in either, let him recover properly.

Reckon Draper goes out for someone that isn’t Hughes.

Breaking down in the midfield when coming out of defence. Just don’t seem to have the forward structure to give targets in those situations.

Actually thought Darcy did some good things. He looks like I felt in the first few games of every season back in the day… “geez, that hurts… why do I do this?” after every hit. Hopefully he gets to the part of the season where contact is fun soon.

JOM looks better as a starter than a sub but that’s faint praise at best.

Don’t know what’s with Brayshaw; best player in the league a couple of seasons ago and now… just hasn’t been the same since sitting out for a while at the start of last year with illness or injury. Would be amazing if he could get back to his old self.

Big loser on the day? The stadium surface. Looked like it had a lot of soft spots.
Brayshaw actually has been fine tbh. Consistent, he’s been running everywhere. Different role. He’s trying to add goal kicking to his repertoire, which as a midfielder is gold.

We'll take that. Fyfe magnificent, Pearce great again and the Bulldogs are a defensive mess. I missed what happened to Draper at the ground - was it bad?

We may play it safe with Amiss I reckon especially as it’s an away game and he’s been battered/bruised this year.

Always good to keep winning team together. Wouldn’t be rushing Switta in either, let him recover properly.

Reckon Draper goes out for someone that isn’t Hughes.
Probably will though. Depends on how much you back Davies, and not be too inexperienced against Richmond who are as well.

I loved how we took the game on tonight but some of the ball movement was very questionable. Hopefully we can build on this performance.

If anyone can gif that Simpson goosestep that had Caleb Daniel questioning his existence I would be very grateful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hit Banfield on the chest to get the first of his double in the last.

Ran with it from the wing, bounced, could have blazed but showed composure.
Composure +1

Late game fatigue, exacerbated by being a "yoof" and off of a bit of a run, add in pinch of exuberance or indecision from debut, I wasn't expecting much from whatever his disposal was going to be.

Great finish, he can be proud of his debut :)

When we could bottle them up in slow play they choked and gave it back, when we coupled that with fast play it worked.

I spent a lot of the third (I think) cringing every time Ryan bombed it into the corridor and we didn't control it.

Cooper Simpson will be an AFL player.

Great performances all over tonight, like most people have highlighted.

Although, is it just me or is Young a serious butcher going inside 50? Felt like numerous floaters tonight. And not for the first time. Not sure he's the elite kick everyone seems to think he is.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I disagree.
I was at the game and aside from the one mis kick, he opened play so many times with his kicking.
Everyone’s entitled to make a few errors

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I disagree.
I was at the game and aside from the one mis kick, he opened play so many times with his kicking.
Everyone’s entitled to make a few errors

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep, definitely a great field kick. Not denying that. Can and does split the game open.

His inside 50 delivery though is comparatively and consistently shocking.

(Was also at the game; there was definitely more than one inside 50 clanger)

Young has the best kick out of the mids
Yep, definitely a great field kick. Not denying that. Can and does split the game open.

His inside 50 delivery though is comparatively and consistently shocking.

(Was also at the game; there was definitely more than one inside 50 clanger)

I would rather have young kicking than most of the other mids. He did have a couple of clangers today but for the volume of his output today he was among the best for us.

For whatever reason I’m a little less over enthused about tonight’s result than many here. Don’t get me wrong; I think it was a fantastic win, awesome to see Fyfe impose himself on a game like that again, and really no complaints from tonight.

However, I can’t shake the feeling that in a parallel universe where we perform exactly the same, except that Libba and JUH play, the doggies don’t miss all those easy shots in the third, Weightman doesn’t go down, and all of a sudden we’re trudging home after another close loss, lamenting the pending apocalypse / utter and complete failure of a rebuild.

Even listening to Kane talk us up tonight it’s like, well, great, but next time we lose he’s going to be sh*ting on us again. And I think I’m just a bit frustrated that our narrative of success or failure is on such a knives edge at the moment.

Was sitting nearly behind where Cooper put on the jets. The lateral cut inside, accelerating, taking a bounce, running straight at the goals and then sizing it up and perfectly chipping over the top was just top shelf.

I'd been talking him up to my mate on the way to the game basically said you can see as soon as he touches the ball he's just got it. The way he moves, the step, decision making and execution. I looked at him after that and said "see what I mean" and my mate who's a pretty good judge of thoroughbreds just nodded, yep.

We have one here. Unfortunately the Debbie downer voice in my head keep saying he'll get dropped for Switta while JOM holds his spot. Hopefully not. I know you have to manage the young ones but Simpson just screamed belongs at the top level and he's best 22 already for me.

Most things have been said but one thought I had was the difference between tonight and the game last year was Fyfe and Bont basically swapped. Bont had a shocker by his standards and Fyfe was BOG. His first quarter was unbelievable. One touch with everything and his vision and execution was as good as its every been. He setup or had a hand in practically everything good in that first and we had some of our best chains of positive ball movement and forward connection for the year.

Serong was insanely good.

So good to see Chappy back and I thought Clarks game was underrated.

We look so much better coming out of defence without Hughes. He is just too slow to make a decision. Chappy is so much more decisive and we looked better in transition than we have looked all season. I do wish Ryan would take a riskier option now and again instead of the safe sideways option.

Simpson and Voss have to stay in. No sub for Simpson either. Give the kid game time and let him find his feet.

I'd rest Sonny for next week and not worry about having him travel. Bring in Switta for him.

I've been on the Johnno bashing as much as anyone but watching the game back I feel he had a decent game and more impact than I thought at the ground.

That is the role Banners has to play. When he is not playing forward but is able to go up and down the ground he looks like a totally different player.

Treacy was immense. When you combine that with the Port performance he is starting to look like he can put those together on a more regular basis. When he does it more often than not then he will be a nightmare for opposition defenders to matchup on. I know the mids got ridiculous numbers but I think he has to be right in the convo for BOG.

For whatever reason I’m a little less over enthused about tonight’s result than many here. Don’t get me wrong; I think it was a fantastic win, awesome to see Fyfe impose himself on a game like that again, and really no complaints from tonight.

However, I can’t shake the feeling that in a parallel universe where we perform exactly the same, except that Libba and JUH play, the doggies don’t miss all those easy shots in the third, Weightman doesn’t go down, and all of a sudden we’re trudging home after another close loss, lamenting the pending apocalypse / utter and complete failure of a rebuild.

Even listening to Kane talk us up tonight it’s like, well, great, but next time we lose he’s going to be sh*ting on us again. And I think I’m just a bit frustrated that our narrative of success or failure is on such a knives edge at the moment.
I get that i do. But in that same parallel universe we have Amiss, Cox, McDonald and a fully fit Darcy running around. We have switta out there as well and we beat them by more. Sam Darcy had an insane mismatch and he capitalised. I'd like to him him try it on Cox or McDonald.

Loved seeing Fyfey turn back the clock, I can’t think of too many recent examples of players doing that.

Caleb does what Caleb does and the backline is pure viewing pleasure. Lobb no show was nice as well.

I do quietly agree with those who wonder what would have happened if the doggies had a full side. Just quietly though..can definitely build from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back