Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Simpson has been retained - for now anyway - and it's time to move on to what happens next.

There's going to be a lot of discussion on our next moves over this critical off-season so I thought a thread dedicated to that was a good Idea. A place to voice your suggestions and track actual and rumoured changes.

I'll try and update the confirmed changes as they come through.

My thoughts so far are:

• Spend the money on a leading S&C guy, could we pry away Burgess?
  • Medical team, is that working? It doesn't seem like it. Might be time for a refresh.
  • Get Don Pyke, give him the remit of fixing the football department and then transition him to CEO.
  • Assistant coaches - no idea who is available or good but maybe McQualter could be a target?
  • The WAFL - good lord we need to fix that. Reset the relationships, find a workable solution.
  • Development coaches, need some fresh blood. Shuey might be a good fit? Who's the best outside of WC?
  • Lathlain: Is the surface indoor and outdoor fit for purpose? Need to assess that and make a call.
  • List management and recruiting. I think ROB has done an ok job since being handed the keys. Is he staying on? If not who should be our targets for list management and recruiting roles? It needs to be a long term appointment.

On confirmed changes:

I think Kofoed had to go, thanks for your service. Schofield leading the midfield is a good move - Geelong's midfield improved when Knights left ffs.

Nisbett - I'm happy he's going, a sacking would have felt good but maybe the mature thing is to have them there for the transition of power - but please, keep his mitts off the selection process.

Pratt, it's good to break up the North Melbourne mafia, force Simpson to hear more outside voices. Webster? Don't know enough.

The board? Don't mind Woosha as a football focused director, would prefer an outside voice though. There's no need for them to be from WA.

Confirmed changes:
  • Kofoed gone
  • Pratt gone
  • Webster gone (?)
  • Nisbett gone '24 at the latest

Have at it.

I think the WAFC should force Perth to accept a partnership with the WAFL Eagles. Once they start winning a few games the Perth stalwarts would get on board. They have been starved for any sort of success for a Very Very long time.

And no need to come in and force a change of name, uniform or anything else. Just play our players in 'suggested' positions. And if there's an agreement where our players are not up to it they can drop down a level too. Offer some cash incentives, wins will go up and so will gate takings.

Perth stalwarts will 100% be against it, shaking their fists from their mobility scooters.

Michael Barlow should be someone the Eagles should be looking at bringing across.

Since he finished playing, Mick's CV reads
Head Coach - Werribee Football Club 2020 - to now (Werribee 2nd on the VFL Ladder)
Assistant Coach - Werribee Football Club 2018 - 2020
Head Coach - Simon Black Academy (Melbourne) - 2020 - 2022
Assistant Coach - VIC Country AFL Victoria - 2018 - 2020

Doubt we could get either of them, but would love Stewie Dew or Leon Cameron (Head Coach of Swans Development) to head up. restructure our development program/team.

Joel Selwood and Luke Sheuy as development coaches....

We need big names, with a recent elite reputation/kudos that the kids coming through have watched and admired.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shuey’s an interesting one.

Same pond and all of that. Would prefer he went elsewhere to experience a different culture and maybe return later - a bit like our premiership coach, Woosha.

Maybe difficult with young family though. I expect he’d be better than some others in the support group.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can we poach Luke power from blues as head of development?

Joel Selwood and Luke Sheuy as development coaches....

We need big names, with a recent elite reputation/kudos that the kids coming through have watched and admired.

I'm not sure Selwood would be available. My only issue with Shuey is that the youngsters might feel he's a 'Simpson man' and not feel 100% comfortable with him if they already are wary of Simpson.

What about Mundy as a development coach? I'm not sure if he'd be interested but he was by all accounts much beloved by the playing group and their young guns coming through. Could be a part time position if he wants to continue his current career.

I'd love to have him in our football department.

I'm not sure Selwood would be available. My only issue with Shuey is that the youngsters might feel he's a 'Simpson man' and not feel 100% comfortable with him if they already are wary of Simpson.

What about Mundy as a development coach? I'm not sure if he'd be interested but he was by all accounts much beloved by the playing group and their young guns coming through. Could be a part time position if he wants to continue his current career.

I'd love to have him in our football department.

Simmo mentioned he tried to get Mundy a few years back so i hope we give it another crack.

I’ll put it here as it’s probably the most relevant spot.

Duffield was asked on SEN this morning who he was hearing as to potential senior assistants for West Coast

He said he’d heard the names Stuart Dew, Ash Hansen and Andrew McQualter (if he misses the Richmond job) all mentioned

If true at least we’re aiming high for an assistant role which is encouraging. Of those three I suspect Dew would be the most gettable, not least because he’s currently out of a job

He’d also perhaps be the best fit and his experience guiding a young list like he had at Gold Coast would be helpful as we transition to a similarly young list

I would like to think the club, now they have saved millions in soft cap tax on the head coach, bite the bullet and spend over the cap on all the other roles we need and pay the tax that way.

Spending half a mill over cap will be needed to lure high profile assistance, development and s&C/medical.

It also makes a statement to the AFL about future soft cap levels that need to go back to previous levels.

I some way, I would prefer the club requested to the AFL this as the type of assistance we need rather than PP and NGA access. Ask the AFL to give a 3 yr grace period with the soft cap (excluding any head coach sacking)

I’ll put it here as it’s probably the most relevant spot.

Duffield was asked on SEN this morning who he was hearing as to potential senior assistants for West Coast

He said he’d heard the names Stuart Dew, Ash Hansen and Andrew McQualter (if he misses the Richmond job) all mentioned

If true at least we’re aiming high for an assistant role which is encouraging. Of those three I suspect Dew would be the most gettable, not least because he’s currently out of a job

He’d also perhaps be the best fit and his experience guiding a young list like he had at Gold Coast would be helpful as we transition to a similarly young list

Was Dew still playing at Hawthorn when Simpson was there?

Was Dew still playing at Hawthorn when Simpson was there?

No

Dew finished playing at the end of 2009 and then went to Sydney

Simpson also finished playing in 2009 before going to Hawthorn

Xavier Ellis on the podcast mentioned 3 assistants were let go but didn't want to say names incase it hadn't been revealed yet. We know 2: Pratt and Webster.

Would be happy with any one of those. All seem to be highly rated.

And Dew seems like a good man to develop young talent.

I would love to try and poach Mark Williams to head up development. It seems likes he's found a good niche for himself there.

Xavier Ellis on the podcast mentioned 3 assistants were let go but didn't want to say names incase it hadn't been revealed yet. We know 2: Pratt and Webster.
Horsley, Brennan as well I expect

When Schofield was brought across from Port a 3 year contract was announced. No such deal was announced for Knights but it’s been mentioned he also has a contract for 2024. So they’re both safe

As you say Pratt and Webster are said to be leaving

Means the third departure will be one of the development coaches - Nicoski, Horsley, Brennan and Morrison (who only joined this year so probably not him)

Bateman also works in development as part of his indigenous liaison role and Ryan Turnbull has been ruck coach

Last edited:
Biggest appointment now is Nisbett’s replacement which could be as soon as the end of this year or as late as the end of next season

When asked about his replacement by Duffield, Nisbett suggested there might be one or two people internally who could put their hands up. I don’t know who they’d be but Richard Godfrey who I know little about was said to be at the informal board meeting at Fitzpatricks house

I hope like hell it’s not an internal promotion, unless…..

We split the role

Appoint a person with a strong football background (like Don Pyke) to oversee football operations. We have a relatively inexperienced football manager (Gavin Bell) and despite an extensive recruiting background, O’Brien is still new to the list manager role. So someone who can handle the football operations side of the CEO role is imperative

That means like the best person for the above could potentially be a little inexperienced in the commercial side of the CEO role. With that in mind, have someone (like Godfrey) as a deputy, or joint CEO, to look after the administration/commercial aspects.

I think we’ve also seen the dangers of one person, Nisbett, have too much influence over the club so splitting the position also dilutes the power that has resided in the CEO position

Those two can come in late this year and Nisbett can hold their hand as they settle in before moving on quietly during the course of 2024. Gives the football CEO time to assess the club and look into what changes are needed before getting involved in the day to day duties

Leon Cameron (Swans)
Spike McVeigh (Swans)
Josh Fraser (Pies)
Matthew Lobbe (Port)
Wayne Cripps (GWS)

Steve Trewhella is our development manager- 2023 was his first year in the role having been recruited from West Perth

Back