Prediction Round 4, 2024: Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute deckchair shuffling stuff but anyway…

Out: Brockman (inj), Darling (managed)
In: Dewar, Barnett

Backs: Barrass, Gov, Jamo, Hough, Cole, Duggan, Jones
Mids: Kelly, Yeo, Ginbey, Reid, Hunt, Chesser
Rucks: Williams, Barnett
Forwards: Waterman, Williams, Maric, Cripps, Petch, Dewar, Edwards
Sub: Long
Emergencies: Witherden (travelling), Gaff, Hall

Dewar straight swap for Brockman, has earned a debut.

Barnett in to help Williams against Grundy, Darling given a week off (or dropped to WAFL, whatever). I’m reticent to play a forward line of Waterman, young kids and resting rucks but Darling is so out of form there needs to be a circuit breaker.

Not much else we can do. Give Gaff at least one more week in the ressies.

Put this team in the bin, and shake it about. See what falls out. The team is just so far off it, it is embarrassing, but what we got? Nothing.

Put Ryan and Oscar in the forward line today (hypothetically without preseason injuries) and we would've been competitive on the score board. Beat them around the stoppage all day and matched their i50s. Poor ball use and turnovers on transition wouldn't stand out as much if we actually are capable of making use of our forward entries. J Williams and Maric are not ready yet and the lack of a power forward to bring the ball to ground in the right spot means Long isn't able to crumb effectively.

Outside of Barass and Jmac our defence is massively lacking in pure 1 on 1 small to medium defenders, only hough fits that bill and he played poorly today. Jones needs to go, he's a liability on defensive pressure and his poor disposals create easy intercept and rebound 50s. Don't see the utility of playing 2 running defenders when only one is capable of cleanly delivering up field. Whenever the ball went to ground i50 in defence there was no pressure on loose men and they were easily able to handball chain out to a quick snap at goal.

Jamieson is also a poor decision maker when under pressure and has a below average disposal. Both dugan and cole don't have the ability to cleanly work the ball out of defence under pressure and elect to bomb long at every opportunity, usually resulting in a rebound back in. Can't have so many poor ball users in a backline and not expect to not be belted every week.

We need a medium sized defender with elite ball use next draft who is a capable lockdown player, witherden is Wafl grade at best and his disposal has dropped to avg at best the last 2 years.

Still haven't been able to check out a WAFL game, are there any standouts who may slot in the backline? Is Hall ready, he's been managed last week did he play a full game yesterday?

Great signs in the midfield, BWW won the pure ruck role and provided our centre clearance and stoppage clearance wins, still needs to work on his skills around the ground and up forward. Yeo was a beast but could have been cleaner with his ground ball gets, Kelly provided great outside run all day. Finnaly feel like our mids are quite balanced with Kelly and Yeo working really nicely together. Defensive running in the midfield is still the area that needs most improvement no pressure on the ball carrier and surrounding players. Defending the opposition transition after turnover is going to be key going forward.

Game was lost in the forward line and backline unfortunately, can't even imagine how worse the season will get if Mcgovern gets injured again he was our only saving grace down back, can't even count the amount of goals he prevented.

In a perfect world Culley and Ryan would play WAFL but these 2 probably double our score straight away playing and i fear 100 pt plus walloping vs Swans if we don't get these 2 in.. Culley back from ACL, play him in like Mihocek. Will be better than J Williams, Darling and Waterman currently in the fwd line.

In's
Hall, Johnston, Rawlinson, Culley, Ryan

Out's
Darling, JJ, Brockman, Edwards, Jameson

Do we really want hall to debut against Sydney?

I'd hold him off until tiger home. So he doesn't expirence slaughter r

Hall still on managed minutes in the WAFL as well I think

Outs: Brockman (inj), Chesser
Ins: Dewar/Rawlinson, LEdwards, Gaff (sub)

Gives Chesser, Hall and potentially Johnston full games in the Wafl which is what they need.

Ginbey on notice, has been poor to start the year

Out: Brockman, Jones
In: Rawlinson, Dewar

Edwards to play a full game, Maric sub. Throw Petch into the Jones HBF position, can’t be any worse than JJ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones has had two poor games in a row, let him find some form in the WAFL. Either that or play in him the fwd line.

Gaff has gone back to the WAFL and found form so bring him back.

Don't know what happened with Brockman but I'm guessing he will have a week off.

Ins: Witherden, Gaff
Outs: Jones, Brockman (or Chesser)

Not everyone's favourite ins I'm sure but Jones had a shocker, and the midfield needs support.

Thankfully Yeo, Kelly, Hunt and Duggan are playing pretty well but there are too many raw midfielders in Ginbey, Reid, Chesser and L. Edwards. I don't think the team can carry all four of them.

Its not Ginbey and Reid's fault, they are teenagers. Chesser is slowly showing more, and same with L.Edwards but there is nothing wrong with either or both of them being sent back to the WAFL to build form.

Johnston can play half forward and he is already with the team.

Out: Brockman, Chesser
IN: Johnston, LEdwards
Sub: Gaff or Chesser take your pick.

Would be nice to have a young kid as a pure tagger. Would keep us slightly more accountable on the inevitable turnover whilst teaching some craft

I'd go the mary go round of accountability.

Jones for witho.

They both have shocking disposals but accountability is needed

Out: Brockman, Cripps, Darling
In: Rawlinson, Edwards/Rotham, Hall

Darling unlucky, he is trying hard but is simply not big enough. I don't care who it is one of Barrass or Gov needs to go forward. I don't believe we should be bringing in kids for one game then dropping them so even though it didn't work J Williams gets to stay and have another crack. Darling has kicked 1 goal in 3 games, you can make all the excuses in the world why he shouldn't be dropped but just make a change. Cripps is a selfish campaigner who didn't do his job today and is the primary reason the score was as unflattering as it was. I don't care if you have 6 shots on goal if you miss 5 plus of them and won't be around in 2 years anyway go have a spell for the kid who kicked 3.0 in his losing side.

Luke Edwards back in the starting 22 and given some time in the centre square. Hall to sub, and we could do worse that telling Harley that barring injury to someone else, he'll be going out in the third like Barnett last week. Dude looks cooked, let him spend his tickets early and maybe get a snag. Harry Edwards or Rotham into defence to release one of TB or Gov forward, depending on match ups. Probably Rotham.

In general, if we are going to be pumped, leak goals left and right, struggle to score majors for entire halves, I don't really care whether making changes makes a difference between an 80 or a 180 point loss. Rejig this stupid spine of Darling, Gov, Tb. The 2018 spine was great because of JKK at FF and Nic in the Ruck. Darling was always dubious as a CHF and Gov and TB has never worked well so not sure why we are sticking in there with the weakest part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back