AFLW AFLW Season 6, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder how this will affect Georgie....

She is 100% going to go IMO... I don't know how the contracts work at AFLW in terms of if they initially sign for 2 years etc... but either she goes now or she goes next year, and to be honest you can't hold hard feelings for it... they aren't full time professionals, they need to go where it best suits their personal situation and if she wants to play with her sister and the area she came from then so be it

She is 100% going to go IMO... I don't know how the contracts work at AFLW in terms of if they initially sign for 2 years etc... but either she goes now or she goes next year, and to be honest you can't hold hard feelings for it... they aren't full time professionals, they need to go where it best suits their personal situation and if she wants to play with her sister and the area she came from then so be it

Pretty sure it's only one 1 year initial contracts and then players can sign 2-year contract extensions

Not sure if it's limited to how many 2-year deals you can offer to players

FWIW on the official club podcast Scotty Gullan last week hinted some things coming to announce with the AFLW side and asked if we were announcing yet or should we wait until next week to talk about it..

So I assume they have some players either close to being signed or have committed and not announced yet that are coming TO the club, will be interesting to see who/what/how it all plays out and what he is referring to.

With the quick turnaround to August you assume they won't wait long and things will start happening ASAP, especially with the season/awards etc all done and dusted

Further to this, Amy McDonald was on the club pod this week... and to be honest when she was asked about Georgie I absolutely got the impression that Georgie is gone... She may just not know anything, but when someone is staying the team mates normally talk up how she loves the place etc etc... there was none of that IMO

Georgie Prespakis was immediately flagged by some, who questioned whether the sisters – and staunch Bombers fans in their youth – could line up together.
Unfortunately for Essendon supporters, AFLW Moneyball can reveal that Georgie has agreed to a new two-year deal that will tie her to the Cattery, where she has flourished since joining the AFLW competition.

Great news

And can I say I'm not a totally surprised to read she's staying on - she moved to the region after being drafted by the club, she had a local job over summer and I saw her around Geelong & suburbs a few times (with & without teammates)

If she was living in Melbourne & commuting for football commitments, then it would seem a move to Essendon or another Melbourne based club was somewhat inevitable, but moving to Geelong even if it was just for summer & football kinda flags that she came in with an open mind as to what may lay ahead beyond season one

Hopefully we read of more of our younger brigade staying on and we can build for the future with the players developing & growing together

It is understood Dublin’s Lauren Magee will depart Melbourne after limited game time last season. The midfielder has held discussions with other clubs, with Geelong in particular showing interest.
Ftr she has only really played off halfback at AFLW level. But in her six VFLW games this year (she has since returned to Ireland), she played onball more and averaged 18 disposals and 5.2 tackles (including 25 & 7 vs Geelong).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL seem to be chasing their tail on women in footy.Bad week with the story they failed to out ... and I feel its poor that the have not get any fixed dates yet . I feel for the girls who have to ask for time off but they cant tell anyone..exactly what dates yet. If they were full time , maybe it would not matter as much, but with som many players with other commitments its very average to not have max notification.

Guessing we really want to push that rebuild along. Maybe eyeing Barber for that #1 KPF spot?

Still, bold move. Wasn't she our leading goal-kicker?

McWilliams has been our leading goal kicker each season, but I think this is the right move

Build a forward line around Barber, we've got Scheer who kicked 8 goals from her 9 matches and re-sign Darby who isn't the youngest but I believe can offer us more over the next couple of years than McWilliams

And it may tie into the article above regarding our interest in Jackie Parry from Melbourne - 176cm tall, shown glimpses in the past but found herself competing with some formidable teammates for a spot up forward. Will be interesting to see how she goes if we're able to work out a trade

McWilliams has been our leading goal kicker each season, but I think this is the right move

Build a forward line around Barber, we've got Scheer who kicked 8 goals from her 9 matches and re-sign Darby who isn't the youngest but I believe can offer us more over the next couple of years than McWilliams

And it may tie into the article above regarding our interest in Jackie Parry from Melbourne - 176cm tall, shown glimpses in the past but found herself competing with some formidable teammates for a spot up forward. Will be interesting to see how she goes if we're able to work out a trade

Yeah, great point. Darby was a revelation - from being on the brink of delisting to being an integral part of the team (played every game?).

That said, they were using her as almost a "reverse Blitz", throwing her in the ruck and then going forward. Wonder where they see the biggest need, as neither Fuller or Caris really made ruck her own... but with McWilliams out, she'll be badly needed down forward (assuming we don't bring in Parry).

Barber has moved from living in Geelong to Melbourne, might not mean anything... But might mean something obviously

who is the FDaughter?

I haven't seen the team yet, but based on those who've been in the Falcons Girls team in recent seasons - Charlotte Simpson or Mackenzie McGrath

Thinking both would be eligible as F/D selections this year

Just like the mens off season it's all blah blah no action

Major issue at the moment is that there's no CBA in place for the next season, nor is there an official start date for the next season

If they go with an August start, it means the pre-season would be starting within the next month but with no CBA in place it makes it hard for anything for happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back