Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Cam have have a good run at it now. I imagine he will be playing VFL in the interim and be a sneaky chance against Port at home in 3 weeks time.

Well, it appears we're far more reliably informed these days if nothing else.

We got an accurate return date, rather than a vague term.

It seems the club CAN do it after all.
Read earlier pages. Barking up the wrong tree with me.
I don't think that's a valid reason to change.

Well, it appears we're far more reliably informed these days if nothing else.

We got an accurate return date, rather than a vague term.

It seems the club CAN do it after all.
But I’m pretty sure the sky fell in mate, so it ain’t all roses. 😢

Given we've caved and are now listing via another means not linked to any rational logical reasoning, I will choose blame Trump's re-election at the end of the year on this alone. Look (pre-emptively) what you've all done!

This week's injury update was a textbook example of what's possible when you actually do nothing more than share current information cogently.

• Guth progresses through his rehab in a systematic manner, and can now return to play. TICK
  • Edwards and Furphy have to ease up on their recovery programs and therefore their projected return dates, in the interests of avoiding further injury. TICK
  • Stewart and Foster are dealing with concussion issues, and are consequently unavailable for selection. TICK

A simple and informative update, delivered with minimum fuss. All that was ever asked of anyone in the entire process.

Yes, it's clear that 'nobody returns to play any faster' by instituting this system. But it does treat all the interested parties like adults, which is definitely a rather pleasant change.

#goodworkcats

Everyone is happy because we have good availability.

We wouldn't be delighted if we had 9 best 22 out with:

-1-4 weeks
-3-5 weeks
-7-10 weeks

etc listed in our weekly injury reports.

As opposed to:

-short term
-medium term
-long term

Anyway, it's a credit to the club for seeing what they can get away with under the new guidelines and making those who were angry, now happy. We want happy people supporting our club.

Edit: does not apply to goyoucatters

Last edited:
Everyone is happy because we have good availability.

We wouldn't be delighted if we had 9 best 22 out with:

-1-4 weeks
-3-5 weeks
-7-10 weeks

etc listed in our weekly injury reports.

As opposed to:

-short term
-medium term
-long term

Anyway, it's a credit to the club for seeing what they can get away with under the new guidelines and making those who were angry, now happy. We want happy people supporting our club.

Of course supporters are happy because we have good availability. But there is no connection whatsoever for me between that fact and the reality that I approve of the specificity now in place around injury list updates across the AFL. Given that, I would still be as pleased about this improved level of coherent communication from the club on injuries if we actually had a dozen players unavailable at the moment.

In the end, it's just sensible and courteous to treat people who are invested in the availability of the playing list at the club with a measure of respect. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course supporters are happy because we have good availability. But there is no connection whatsoever for me between that fact and the reality that I approve of the specificity now in place around injury list updates across the AFL. Given that, I would still be as pleased about this improved level of coherent communication from the club on injuries if we actually had a dozen players unavailable at the moment.

In the end, it's just sensible and courteous to treat people who are invested in the availability of the playing list at the club with a measure of respect. Nothing more, nothing less.
No worries. I have edited my post!

On Footy Classified, they played a clip of an interview Danger did in Feb, that mentioned the change to our training to do more high speed sprinting in order to bullet proof the hammies. Clearly didn't work in his case.

If it's the same as the one he did earlier this year, it'll be 5-6 weeks so probably won't see him until the 2nd half of the year now.

Can we get danger overseas and have the calf blood injected or whatever they do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Footy Classified, they played a clip of an interview Danger did in Feb, that mentioned the change to our training to do more high speed sprinting in order to bullet proof the hammies. Clearly didn't work in his case.

If it's the same as the one he did earlier this year, it'll be 5-6 weeks so probably won't see him until the 2nd half of the year now.
That’s on the conservative side imo …they will want him to be 1000% ready for the late second half /finals even more so if the team wins a few more games this month.

Sadly, hammies have a terrible reoccurrence rate… studies vary to the exact rate, but they all come to the same conclusion that the reoccurrence rates are high.. some reporting 38.4% for example of hamstring injuries in a season are reoccurrence.

Now put into context a 34yo explosive midfielder who has a history of 5 hamstring tears apparently to the same hamstring… very likely it will happen again.

Once a muscle tears, that new tissue formed is not of the same quality as the original tissue.. and will always have a level of compromise

Sadly, hammies have a terrible reoccurrence rate… studies vary to the exact rate, but they all come to the same conclusion that the reoccurrence rates are high.. some reporting 38.4% for example of hamstring injuries in a season are reoccurrence.

Now put into context a 34yo explosive midfielder who has a history of 5 hamstring tears apparently to the same hamstring… very likely it will happen again.

Once a muscle tears, that new tissue formed is not of the same quality as the original tissue.. and will always have a level of compromise
So he can have all the rest/rehab he likes but the chances are high it’s going to happen again, correct?

It will be interesting to see how the club will approach it.

So he can have all the rest/rehab he likes but the chances are high it’s going to happen again, correct?

It will be interesting to see how the club will approach it.
There is always the heightened risk the club medicos would be aware of and I assume they have articulated well to dangerfield as well. Here is a very quick read for reference to AFL if you don’t want to scroll through pages of peer reviewed articles

No point rushing Danger back in any way. Do whatever conditioning might help. Get him a couple of games with managed minutes before finals. Then hope like hell he can get through 3 finals.

I doubt jez misses any weeks.
They would be wise to give him a "managed" at some point.

Long season.. and he's got hammy history.

Not ever a good time but id expect him to get a spell at some point soon.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back