Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan in for Dempsey or close?. He's not moving Henry or Stengle out, he can be high impact game winner but can only really play a forward roll.
Rohan needs 2 in the VFL - aintplayed s**t all year.

No way you can roll him in and more importantly roll Depmspey out at this point.... kids on a streak..

GO Catters

Rohan in for Dempsey or close?. He's not moving Henry or Stengle out, he can be high impact game winner but can only really play a forward roll.
If I were picking a 23 to play a Grand Final tomorrow, I'd have Dempsey and Close in before I had Rohan.

That said, I've never been a huge Gary Rohan fan, so take it with a grain of salt. Role players have their place, but if you find a player who can contribute well in both facets of the game, then their spot is always at risk.

The forward line balance is pretty exceptional at the moment.

Hell no. Rather see games given to young players in good form, than any older player who continually breaks down and is patchy as it gets. He's also coming in off zero fitness base, as his pre-season has been hugely interrupted. He's going to need at least 2 or 3 vfl games before he should even be considered. Even then i'd only play him as the sub, unless he's absolutely dominating in the vfl.

Hell no. Rather see games given to young players in good form, than any older player who continually breaks down and is patchy as it gets. He's also coming in off zero fitness base, as his pre-season has been hugely interrupted. He's going to need at least 2 or 3 vfl games before he should even be considered. Even then i'd only play him as the sub, unless he's absolutely dominating in the vfl.
Agree.

I do believe there's a place for Rohan in this side, as the only possible flaw in our forward line is player who crashes packs and can be a get out clause down the line...but there should be no rush with him.

Permitting the forward line stays healthy, I'd have him in the VFL for a month tbh.

He needs the fitness, and like Bewsy he'll be an experienced head in a side that looks like headless chooks regularly.

Our VFL players are useless, so experienced players running through there to steady the ship and guide the youngsters can't hurt, and we aren't crying out for him to play in the ones either.

Dees game at the MCG to stretch May & Lever should be the earliest we're considering him IMO.

We played all 7 regular forwards quite a few times last year (O Henry, Stengle, Miers, Close, Rohan, Cameron and Hawk). So since Dempsey is playing wing, the MC could play Rohan with him and the other fowards in the team.

Just a question of who goes out - last week the bench was Atkins, Bowes, Clark and Zuthrie.

I’d prefer to keep Clark, Bowes and Parfitt (who I suspect are our last 3 picked) while our midfield is pretty thin, but the MC might feel differently.

Close is probably going worst on pure numbers this year but I rate him a lot and would keep him in over Rohan if they don’t want to play an extra forward.

The only person currently on the injury list that has the recent runs on the board to walk back into the side no questions asked is Danger

Rohan needs to come back through the VFL same with Cam who has barely player in over a year
Guthrie will likely play VFL to blow out the cobwebs and get his body up to speed. But he is absolutely 100% walking back into the side no questions asked once he's fit.

Rohan will spend at least a couple of weeks in the VFL. So it’s not a problem we have to deal with right now.

I really rate him and think he adds a point of difference to our side, but it might be challenging for him to get back in permanently. Although I have no doubt that Scott will rest/manage players which will give him at least 2-3 games in a row to stake a claim.

Of the forwards, Dempsey is in great form, but is playing higher up the ground now anyway. Otherwise Close could be the one. But I also love what he brings. The other option would be to drop a mid/def with Dempsey and miers playing higher up the ground now anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan will spend at least a couple of weeks in the VFL. So it’s not a problem we have to deal with right now.

I really rate him and think he adds a point of difference to our side, but it might be challenging for him to get back in permanently. Although I have no doubt that Scott will rest/manage players which will give him at least 2-3 games in a row to stake a claim.

Of the forwards, Dempsey is in great form, but is playing higher up the ground now anyway. Otherwise Close could be the one. But I also love what he brings. The other option would be to drop a mid/def with Dempsey and miers playing higher up the ground now anyway.
I wouldn’t want to change the current forward structure. Whilst Dempsey has been playing wing a lot they still count him as the 7th forward (watching those game videos he always sits with the forwards at half time)…other than Adelaide game with late outs where he basically played permanent wing, he has been a forward and pinch hit in wing…So I don’t know if they want to change it?

But can’t really leave Rohan out…so what about a different role for him (other than sub which is an obvious one)

Am I silly to float the idea of Rohan playing off a back flank? I know we are trialling Holmes there but with Rohan defensive mindset and huge pace - and a great field kick…could he add that speed off backline. Knowing we can always switch him forward in game if needed (or ruck tbh).

Ok. So I have to admit that I had sort of put Rohan out of my mind given history of the club in terms of injury timeframes. But it looks real now that maybe he is ready to play.

Interested in BF views in terms of what that means..

does he come back via VFL or is he straight back into AFL. If so how do we fit him in. Does he take Dempsey spot? Or the other Ollie?

I think 4 weeks ago it was a no brainer that when Rohan is fit he is automatic in. Do we all feel the same now? And if so how?

Vfl for match fitness.

Doubt he makes it back to the afl 22.

All this talk about players returning- great position we are in this week.
All that needs to happen are 2 horribles-
1. Losses
2. Injuries
Chances of these 2 occurrences historically are reasonably high.
It all works out, except 2023 when it was never in our favour.

If I were picking a 23 to play a Grand Final tomorrow, I'd have Dempsey and Close in before I had Rohan.

That said, I've never been a huge Gary Rohan fan, so take it with a grain of salt. Role players have their place, but if you find a player who can contribute well in both facets of the game, then their spot is always at risk.

The forward line balance is pretty exceptional at the moment.
Rohan at full capacity would stop 100 opposition intercepts in the air every week.

That's what they have to weigh up.

Impossible to find who to drop though.

Rohan at full capacity would stop 100 opposition intercepts in the air every week.

That's what they have to weigh up.

Impossible to find who to drop though.
Great sub material then. Would be ahead of Mannagh in the queue.

I wouldn’t want to change the current forward structure. Whilst Dempsey has been playing wing a lot they still count him as the 7th forward (watching those game videos he always sits with the forwards at half time)…other than Adelaide game with late outs where he basically played permanent wing, he has been a forward and pinch hit in wing…So I don’t know if they want to change it?

But can’t really leave Rohan out…so what about a different role for him (other than sub which is an obvious one)

Am I silly to float the idea of Rohan playing off a back flank? I know we are trialling Holmes there but with Rohan defensive mindset and huge pace - and a great field kick…could he add that speed off backline. Knowing we can always switch him forward in game if needed (or ruck tbh).

His pace and tackling would be useful off half back. But I think one of his best traits is his ability to impact a pack marking contest and bring the ball to ground which is a point of difference form our other forwards, and more of an asset in the F50. I also don't know if there's as much of a need at half back now with Holmes playing the role, unless they switch him back to the midfield more permanently.

It seems like it might be tough for him to get back into the side. But then other than Dempsey, our forward line is identical to last year, when he played every game when available. So it wouldn't take too much shuffling to fit him back in. I think if we're happy for Miers and Dempsey to play a little more on the wing we could leave out someone like Tuohy to accommodate it

Am I silly to float the idea of Rohan playing off a back flank? I know we are trialling Holmes there but with Rohan defensive mindset and huge pace - and a great field kick…could he add that speed off backline. Knowing we can always switch him forward in game if needed (or ruck tbh)
You're not silly to suggest it at all, I think he briefly played there with Sydney.

Again, though, we hit the same issue - how does he slot into the seven defensive players already there? Last week's lineup was Stewart, SdK, Kolo, Duncan, Henry, Holmes, Z Guthrie. And we still have Cam Guthrie and Dangerfield to come back, so moving Holmes and/or Duncan back into the middle won't be easy.

Ok replying to my own post. Not cool but looks like our coach is having same thought bubble I had…from CS

“He is going to play this weekend which is really exciting for us. But we are not in a position to sort of forecast exactly how he’s going to come back into the AFL team,” Scott said.

“I think my position, at least internally, is really clear on him: when he’s up and going and really ready to play well, he’ll be in our team somewhere, but our forward line is looking pretty stable at the moment, which is always a priority for us.

“So we will just need to think about how he comes back through the VFL program and he’ll play some different positions as well, so that will give us some options. We’re not pigeonholing him as a forward necessarily.

“If anything, we’re kind of going back to a position that he’s had a bit of experience with in the past.”

You're not silly to suggest it at all, I think he briefly played there with Sydney.

Again, though, we hit the same issue - how does he slot into the seven defensive players already there? Last week's lineup was Stewart, SdK, Kolo, Duncan, Henry, Holmes, Z Guthrie. And we still have Cam Guthrie and Dangerfield to come back, so moving Holmes and/or Duncan back into the middle won't be easy.
It is a real nice problem the team seems to be facing. Pitty Rohan doesn’t have a tank as the MF line might be easier. Although with danger and Guthrie back that might also suffer same problem. WOW. Fun. 🤩

Remove this Banner Ad

Back