Autopsy 76 point Team Effort win vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd forgotten the game was tied at 2 goals halfway through the first quarter. After that it was 16 goals to 3.

We've pretty much ticked every box. 76 points over the Hawks was equal biggest winning margin of the year. Our percentage is highest by a street.

I'm loving McDonald's progress. I don't what people are going on about. He had game-high 10 score involvements, 5 marks, 5 contested possessions, 2 tackles, 3 goals. Can hardly be doing any more.

If Logan was an opposition player you’d have half of the posters here lamenting that we are never able to draft key forwards like him.

No one knows how to dump on their own players like a few on this board. Even when we win big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good things for me where not the highlights but

Melicans game and the defensive group as a hole.

In50 I think John won’t be happy with. Lucky they are no good

McDonald in air contest , that’s all you ask. Reckon that’s the best he looked

Chad warners defensive game , that was unreal.

Jmac is close to the best winger in the comp
Could the person who hacked Punts account please stop. This level of positivity is disturbing.

Agree. It’s like some posters will find almost anything else to talk about other than a win or something positive. It really sours a win coming here and reading the gossipy nonsense.

Ok but you haven't said anything about the game at all. The only 2 posts you've made are to dump on other posters. Be the change you want to see!

Forget the gossip. You've got a guy who's been in and out of the side over the past few years kicking a goal to stretch the margin against one our biggest rivals at the MCG and he jogs all the way back to the square on his own, and is then ignored once he gets there.

I've never seen that before. But otherwise, I agree, the story should be the fact that we had another great win and we're flying at the moment. This was just a minor curiosity.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the current side and trying an exercise in thinking well Parker is back this week I am guessing ( I wouldn’t be rushing to change necessarily), at some stage soon Rampe and eventually Mills returns, no doubt injuries and form hit but sort of looking at who can make way and doing a bit of an exercise

Anyone who plays poorly for an extended patch shouldn’t be above being dropped lets be real, eg if Ladhams shines constantly and Grundy falls away, then the change should in theory happen.

Having said that , right now barring a miraculous turn of events due to what they do and in some cases the role they play I see these players as completely safe in the team

Warner

Mclean

Grundy

Heeney

Mcdonald

Rowbottom

Papley

Florent

Gulden

Blakey

McCartin

Melican

These guys are basically locked in but either haven’t played much for us or say a bad 3-4 weeks and maybe they get the chop for someone like a Mills or Parker if the timing was right

Adams- been solid but for us is yet to have an outstanding game

Hayward

Mcinnerney

Roberts - again been great but if he stunk it up for weeks and Mills was ready

Lloyd- maybe harsh

These guys I was trying to work out the bottom 6 by default feels harsh on Harry especially but again maybe most changeable so most likely if you say Parker has to play- I know some would put Hayward here and some arguably make no sense for Parker- eg Amartey out would change the whole structure of the side.

Cunningham

Wicks

Jordon

Amartey

Fox

Campbell- by default as sub saying he is our last picked

Not saying someone like Fox is no good , more working backwards who is most expendable , could possibly be upgraded.

Looking at the current side and trying an exercise in thinking well Parker is back this week I am guessing ( I wouldn’t be rushing to change necessarily), at some stage soon Rampe and eventually Mills returns, no doubt injuries and form hit but sort of looking at who can make way and doing a bit of an exercise

Anyone who plays poorly for an extended patch shouldn’t be above being dropped lets be real, eg if Ladhams shines constantly and Grundy falls away, then the change should in theory happen.

Having said that , right now barring a miraculous turn of events due to what they do and in some cases the role they play I see these players as completely safe in the team

Warner

Mclean

Grundy

Heeney

Mcdonald

Rowbottom

Papley

Florent

Gulden

Blakey

McCartin

Melican

These guys are basically locked in but either haven’t played much for us or say a bad 3-4 weeks and maybe they get the chop for someone like a Mills or Parker if the timing was right

Adams- been solid but for us is yet to have an outstanding game

Hayward

Mcinnerney

Roberts - again been great but if he stunk it up for weeks and Mills was ready

Lloyd- maybe harsh

These guys I was trying to work out the bottom 6 by default feels harsh on Harry especially but again maybe most changeable so most likely if you say Parker has to play- I know some would put Hayward here and some arguably make no sense for Parker- eg Amartey out would change the whole structure of the side.

Cunningham

Wicks

Jordon

Amartey

Fox

Campbell- by default as sub saying he is our last picked

Not saying someone like Fox is no good , more working backwards who is most expendable , could possibly be upgraded.
I'd drop Lloyd to the lower tier. JMac would be top tier in the form he's in. He was getting games while he was out of form so I'd put him in the top tier, but I get why you have him there.

For me. Wicks is middle tier, verging on top, but I also see why you'd have him there.

I'm impressed with our bottom 6, we've got good depth atm.

Jake Lloyd's play has been on the up as a wingman the last 3 weeks or so and yesterday was his best effort yet. Looks like he has already adjusted and settled into the role as expected. Great to see for him but also the team because I don't think his lack of athleticism is workable in defence anymore given the glut of small and hyperathletic pockets and flankers that dominate the game now. I mean, who would we play on in defence this week? A mix of Brent Daniels, Darcy Jones, Harvey Thomas, and Toby Bedford. Lloyd's best position moving forward is absolutely on the wing.

Heeney is absolutely as smooth as silk. I haven’t seen a Sydney player do the brilliant stuff so effortlessly since Adam Goodes and he deserves a Brownlow medal around his neck but I’d prefer a Norm Smith.

Logan is coming along fine. More than fine. Two belting kicks and a sneaky goal that most big forwards aren’t capable of. He’s so nimble and his confidence will keep growing. His signature is a must, to say the least.

Gulden is almost so good that he can be underrated. Even a regular game from him displays his brilliance and his pinpoint kicks open up so many opportunities to split sides open. That goal he kicked on the run was class. All class.

Second spot and the best percentage by a mile. If we beat the Giants the lid will be in to orbit.

Jake Lloyd's play has been on the up as a wingman the last 3 weeks or so and yesterday was his best effort yet. Looks like he has already adjusted and settled into the role as expected. Great to see for him but also the team because I don't think his lack of athleticism is workable in defence anymore given the glut of small and hyperathletic pockets and flankers that dominate the game now. I mean, who would we play on in defence this week? A mix of Brent Daniels, Darcy Jones, Harvey Thomas, and Toby Bedford. Lloyd's best position moving forward is absolutely on the wing.
Always was IMO. Watching him running and carrying yesterday was awesome.

I feel like Sam Mitchell's attitude towards his players getting more aggressive as the game went on didn't help his team.

He started the game with a group that was fully committed but making mistakes and ended it with a group who looked like they barely gave a damn and were still making mistakes.

I'm no coaching expert but just seemed like the totally wrong approach to take with a young side that was having a genuine crack against a team way above them.

I certainly meant no disrespect not putting him in the top locked in tier of a list

Gulden is almost so good that he can be underrated. Even a regular game from him displays his brilliance and his pinpoint kicks open up so many opportunities to split sides open. That goal he kicked on the run was class. All class.
Riewoldt summed it up pretty well. It was an absolute pie off the boot but he's so good it went right through the middle.

I feel like Sam Mitchell's attitude towards his players getting more aggressive as the game went on didn't help his team.

He started the game with a group that was fully committed but making mistakes and ended it with a group who looked like they barely gave a damn and were still making mistakes.

I'm no coaching expert but just seemed like the totally wrong approach to take with a young side that was having a genuine crack against a team way above them.
I thought Hawks had the right intensity, just no game plan.

If you could tell me what the Hawks were trying to do I'd be all ears but it looked like they had little structure going forward and no plan for defence

That's where he started. He is a great reader of the play so although an advantage Pace is not a prerequisite if you have that gift. Depending on match ups role could work for him. His only downfall in the position could be questionable delivery
inside 50. He has been fine there the last 2 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back