List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t imagine we are offering him a deal for next season. It would be part of next seasons free agency.

If you are north.

You hold. He is a restricted free agent isn’t he? And if not you still get a better pick via compo then whatever we offer

That suits us better but sometimes if he wants out you need to make s**t happen. Waiting could see the Roos jump up the ladder. A year is a long time in footy.

We should definitely look at Riley Garcia from the Dogs IMO, he was the best player in the VFL before they brought him in to play us. If he's still a fringe player next year we should see if he's keen for more midfield time. Need to find a few speculative types. Guys like Flanders who was playing state footy at an exceptional standard but couldn't break into seniors.

Patrick Fairlie looks good in the VFL as does Vallisaris again. Joel Jeffrey is have a good year too.

If we trade 2 FRDP's then the club needs to be razed to the ground. Have we not learned anything over the last 10 years? There are no shortcuts in this business. How about we back in SOS and Dalrimple and give them a plethora of FRDP's to work with rather than trading 2 of them for one player FFS. When are we ever going to Ducking learn????????

Why? You're buying a set and forget gun mid for 10 years. Coffield and Clark were pick 6 and 7 in the draft. Both looks like they'll net us FA after 7 years of development. You literally go to the draft hoping to get a player like LDU and they are a rare commodity. All the best sides are a combination of drafted players, high priced recruits and some speculative types.

Why? You're buying a set and forget gun mid for 10 years. Coffield and Clark were pick 6 and 7 in the draft. Both looks like they'll net us FA after 7 years of development. You literally go to the draft hoping to get a player like LDU and they are a rare commodity. All the best sides are a combination of drafted players, high priced recruits and some speculative types.

this. steele aint getting younger. if LDU is on the table, you do everything to get him.

2 or 3 years left in him.
then we start looking again.

Yep.

Players in 2024 averaging 6 hit outs and 1 goal per game: Josh Treacy, Sam Darcy, Luke Jackson, Hayden McLean, Ned Moyle (1 game played).

The list in 2023: Charlie Dixon, Rory Lobb.

Perhaps this is a spot where we can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I would only trade 2 FRDP's for a gun if we were a genuine bona fide top 4 team. We are not there yet so why sacrifice 2 FRDP's? Get more FRDP's in the door and let SOS, Gubby and Dalrymple work their magic. We will have to agree to disagree Gringo.

At the expense of players who play like FRDPs that are 28 or older..............YES. So we can add to our CORE YOUTH FFS.....
Who are a coin flip whether they even replace the production of the players they replaced.

Let's look at a really good draft where we have enough time to assess everyone fairly: 2013.

Here's how hit and miss a FRDP really is in a good year:

1. Tom Boyd - five seasons, 2 clubs, 61 games, 50 goals as a key forward. Gets a pass because of the flag (he played in for a team other than the one who drafted him)
2. Josh Kelly - gun.
3. Jack Billings - read this forum.
4. Marcus Bontempelli - gun.
5. Kade Kolodhashnji - six seasons, 80 games. No thanks.
6. Matthew Scharenberg - seven seasons, 41 games. Also no thanks. We're running at 50% now if Boyd is a pass.
7. James Aish - solid AFL player. I'd take Jack Steele at any stage of his career over Aish at any stage of his.
8. Luke McDonald - 181 games, better than a foot soldier but not much better.
9. Christian Salem - apart from the premiership, similar rating to McDonald.
10. Nathan Freeman - 2 clubs, 5 seasons, 2 games.

So that is the top ten in a widely viewed good draft - 2 guns, 3 solid veterans, 1 outlier (Boyd), four disappointments.

So why would I trade three of our best players for three chances at a coin flip for someone roughly the same (at full maturity) as those players I'm trading out?

Also, not for nothing, you'd better be turning up to watch every execrable performance in person if you are advocating the slash and burn "trade everyone out for draft picks" strategy and the club does it. If you're screaming for a club to buy a certain kind of bed, you'd better be around to sleep in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are a coin flip whether they even replace the production of the players they replaced.

Let's look at a really good draft where we have enough time to assess everyone fairly: 2013.

1. Tom Boyd - five seasons, 2 clubs, 61 games, 50 goals as a key forward. Gets a pass because of the flag (he played in for a team other than the one who drafted him)
2. Josh Kelly - gun.
6. Matthew Scharenberg - seven seasons, 41 games. Also no thanks. We're running at 50% now if Boyd is a pass.
7. James Aish - solid AFL player. I'd take Jack Steele at any stage of his career over Aish at any stage of his.

So that is the top ten in a widely viewed good draft - 2 guns, 3 solid veterans, 1 outlier (Boyd), four disappointments.

So why would I trade three of our best players for three chances at a coin flip for someone roughly the same (at full maturity) as those players I'm trading out?

Also, not for nothing, you'd better be turning up to watch every execrable performance in person if you are advocating the slash and burn "trade everyone out for draft picks" strategy and the club does it. If you're screaming for a club to buy a certain kind of bed, you'd better be around to sleep in it.

That was not a particularly good year, no better than those either side.

2. Josh Kelly - gun.

There is always risk in everything you do. We have supposedly hired a gun recruiting team so why not back them in? Give them a chance to go to the draft and build a top 4 team. Trading and FA's is the icing on top after you have become a bona fide top 4 team. Haven't we learned our lesson over the last 10 years?

You have quoted results from 10 years ago which have no relevance to today. Why not look at our recent performance at the draft. It has been a huge improvement.

Steele, Sincs and Marshall will be either retired or in the twilight of their career by the time our team is ready to challenge. If at the end of the season a club offers picks in the top 10 I would take it. Back in our recruiters and grab the best talent from the Draft to add to our core youth....

There is always risk in everything you do. We have supposedly hired a gun recruiting team so why not back them in? Give them a chance to go to the draft and build a top 4 team. Trading and FA's is the icing on top after you have become a bona fide top 4 team. Haven't we learned our lesson over the last 10 years?

You have quoted results from 10 years ago which have no relevance to today. Why not look at our recent performance at the draft. It has been a huge improvement.

Steele, Sincs and Marshall will be either retired or in the twilight of their career by the time our team is ready to challenge. If at the end of the season a club offers picks in the top 10 I would take it. Back in our recruiters and grab the best talent from the Draft to add to our core youth....

Don't totally disagree with you but its been shown you need to be really careful getting rid of or trading out senior blokes before you have players ready to step up.

Kids don't develop on their own, they need the A class players and senior blokes around them (As well as the coaches)

If we were to lose one of those 3 and get a good draft hand in return it could work out. Losing all 3 would be a disaster.

He'd cost at least a first rounder plus something else very good.

But given our needs, he would be worth it.

I would still rather wait, will be cheaper next year when not contracted and we can bank another first rounder.

Having said that if it was a now or never scenario then you probably pull the trigger.

Ok, let's boil this down to the most relevant thing so we can move on.

No one is offering a top 10 pick for any player currently at St Kilda over the age of 24 IMO. So this is a hypothetical we don't have to worry about.

Also worth noting that none of the recently drafted players are stars yet. NWM is the most developed IMO with his draft classmates (Owens and Windy) not far behind. Phillipou is right in the midst of second year blues.

I'm just not a "the unknown is better than the known" guy.

Ok, let's boil this down to the most relevant thing so we can move on.

No one is offering a top 10 pick for any player currently at St Kilda over the age of 24 IMO. So this is a hypothetical we don't have to worry about.

Also worth noting that none of the recently drafted players are stars yet. NWM is the most developed IMO with his draft classmates (Owens and Windy) not far behind. Phillipou is right in the midst of second year blues.

I'm just not a "the unknown is better than the known" guy.
Pooeys form certainly wouldn’t be doing his contract negotiations any favours. Hope he’s not expecting mega bucks this time round.

Brad Hill contract talks coming along nicely. Yes that’s it.
Thanks I find it really hard to watch that segment. It’s like clickbait, you rarely get anything out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back