List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to do 2 future firsts or find a way to trade into GCs 2024 first with next years and our 2nd rounder next year or something then.

When the player we need comes available you don't find ways not to get it done. We could legit use 2 firsts and end up with Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield again. Just get the gun now and make it happen.
I don’t disagree.

But realistically you need to top what is realistically a top 5 compo picks in 12 months.

That’s very hard to do.

We are on record saying we are taking a first rounder to the draft this season.

I cannot see a scenario that next years first and a second rounder get a deal done for a guy - who if he moves after 2025. Probably gives north a compo pick in the top 5 of that draft.
So what would be the point in making an offer to him this year?

But if we aren’t prepared to give up a first rounder for him we won’t have the currency.

It's a risk to leave it a year - what happens if he suffers a serious injury? I'm not sure I have an answer on this, but grabbing him as early as possible should at least be considered.

Remember they don't have KPD depth, and Dougal Howard can't get a game...

I don’t disagree.

But realistically you need to top what is realistically a top 5 compo picks in 12 months.

That’s very hard to do.

If he wants to walk what can North do. They can only get what we have. Just talk him into leaving North then sort out what it will cost. If we need to give up a first this year it might hurt but if we could trade back into GCs or Brisbane's pick we might get best of all worlds. Both have academy kids so could be keen to off load.

He's saying he wants out, North if they are losing him cashes out and finds a kid to develop now.

He's out of contract at the end of the year. So if he doesn't want to stay, it's sort of out of our hands.

He's not playing. North have zero competent KPDs (we have the current AA full-back, Battle and Cordy to start with)
This is where the list management team earn their wage. Have to give something to get something. The reason Howard isn’t playing is because he’s been injured. He could come in this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best Ball Winners in the AFL . 2024 ( average contested possessions ).
A: Rowell 18. Libratore 15.6, Cripps 15.3, Serong 15.2, Neale 15.
B: Yeo 13.7 Bont 13.3, Green 13.2, Petracca 13.2, Heeney 13, Hopper 13, Steele 12.8, Wines 12.8 , M Crouch 12.6,
C: Merrett 12, Setterfield 12, Taranto, 12, N Daicos 11.7, Viney 11.7, Hewett 11.5, Miller 11.5, Mitchell 11.4,LDU 11.3
Dunkley 11.2, Fyfe 11.2, Worpel 11

Brad Crouch would have been in the C group the last couple of years.

I admire the way that Freo identified Serong before the draft and manipulated the Saints into giving them the picks to get him.

You can't get the players in the A group and they are hard to find. That means there may not be one in every draft.
Rowell Pick 1 , 2019.
Libratore , Pick 40 , 2010
Cripps , Pick 13 , 2013.
Serong , Pick 8, 2019.
Neale , Pick 58 2011.

EDIT:
Some of those get their average by being very consistent, ie 13 contested possessions nearly every time.
Others, including LDU, have some games with the CP's through the roof, with others much lower. Shows potential to jump up a class.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine we are offering him a deal for next season. It would be part of next seasons free agency.

If he wants to walk what can North do. They can only get what we have. Just talk him into leaving North then sort out what it will cost. If we need to give up a first this year it might hurt but if we could trade back into GCs or Brisbane's pick we might get best of all worlds. Both have academy kids so could be keen to off load.
If you are north.

You hold. He is a restricted free agent isn’t he? And if not you still get a better pick via compo then whatever we offer

We need to do 2 future firsts or find a way to trade into GCs 2024 first with next years and our 2nd rounder next year or something then.

When the player we need comes available you don't find ways not to get it done. We could legit use 2 firsts and end up with Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield again. Just get the gun now and make it happen.
If we trade 2 FRDP's then the club needs to be razed to the ground. Have we not learned anything over the last 10 years? There are no shortcuts in this business. How about we back in SOS and Dalrimple and give them a plethora of FRDP's to work with rather than trading 2 of them for one player FFS. When are we ever going to Ducking learn????????

If we trade 2 FRDP's then the club needs to be razed to the ground. Have we not learned anything over the last 10 years? There are no shortcuts in this business. How about we back in SOS and Dalrimple and give them a plethora of FRDP's to work with rather than trading 2 of them for one player FFS. When are we ever going to Ducking learn????????

Some teams that have finished fairly high, have identified players they want in the draft and traded their current and future first round pick to move up in the draft.
You need to be pretty sure of yourself though.

Some teams that have finished fairly high, have identified players they want in the draft and traded their current and future first round pick to move up in the draft.
You need to be pretty sure of yourself though.
The position we are in we should be trying to gain more FRDP's not less. We need to be adding at least 3 gun youngsters to our core youth if we ever want to be successful. Give SOS, Gubby and Dalrymple a chance to work their magic.....

If I could convert Steele, Sincs and Marshall into 3 top 10 picks at the end of this year I would do it. Take all 3 plus our own FRDP to the draft and add 4 guns to our youth. That is the only way in my opinion. I know I will be shouted down but that's ok.....

The position we are in we should be trying to gain more FRDP's not less. We need to be adding at least 3 gun youngsters to our core youth if we ever want to be successful. Give SOS, Gubby and Dalrymple a chance to work their magic.....
Dazza might have a special lined up for the msd

If I could convert Steele, Sincs and Marshall into 3 top 10 picks at the end of this year I would do it. Take all 3 plus our own FRDP to the draft and add 4 guns to our youth. That is the only way in my opinion. I know I will be shouted down but that's ok.....

LDU is a known commodity, fills a position of dire need for the club, and is 24 years old.

The three players who mentioned have four AA jumpers and four B&Fs between them, and two of them are in our best three performing players this season. Replace them immediately with 18 year olds and the club's immediate on field performance goes backwards.

And what guarantees are we getting from the draft that the players will be better than who they replaced? Like all the myriad of FRDPs we've had in the past that are often quoted in these parts as total busts?

This plan is a plan for an existential crisis for the club IMO. If we can get more early draft picks and not completely gut the team that would be fine. But it's never been less reliable to bottom out in order to achieve success. North and Hawthorn have been down for a long while, it took Carlton a decade.

Last edited:

I'm really glad you aren't working in the list management space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back