Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

How much do those two teams owe the rest of the AFL teams.

Free publicity, associating themselves with the ANZAC's despite having no greater claim to it than any other team.
Guaranteed TV coverage each year with the commentators all gushing over both side.

We even changed our colors to avoid being like those German Empire assholes.
Poor old University didn't even make it past that war.

Stuff you Collingwood and Essendon, AFL freeloaders, Show the rest of us some cash you assholes.

Free publicity, associating themselves with the ANZAC's despite having no greater claim to it than any other team.
Guaranteed TV coverage each year with the commentators all gushing over both side.

Stuff you Collingwood and Essendon, AFL freeloaders, Show the rest of us some cash you assholes.
But don't they give all the gate takings to the RSL ?

meh, we've had our chances over the years.
played poorly and members didnt turn up.
we just arent commercially viable for these big games.

Yeah I knew that - but the Amateurs ? WGAF. How does that transfer to the AFL ? - not in the same universe I reckon but maybe explains it I suppose. Think his entitled rise to fame had more to do with his old boys network rather than talent or knowledge. It's a bit like asking a chippie who has advanced to full on home renovations and extensions and getting him to build you an office building.
Nah the ammos are the oldest comp and it’s still the best outside the afl/vfl. They spread hard etc have quite a bit of real talent and access through old boys clubs to a lot of quality players.

You’d be surprised how well resourced they are and how seriously they take things. I know a famous A grade premiership captain and later coach who had advanced scouts and took his players through film of last weeks game every week, individually not just whole game footage.

The attitude that exists which is you need to have played afl to coach afl is frankly garbage. Where else does this bias exist ?. Anyway I think he probably had his own ideas about the football side of things and obviously wanted to have some input rightly or wrongly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah the ammos are the oldest comp and it’s still the best outside the afl/vfl. They spread hard etc have quite a bit of real talent and access through old boys clubs to a lot of quality players.

You’d be surprised how well resourced they are and how seriously they take things. I know a famous A grade premiership captain and later coach who had advanced scouts and took his players through film of last weeks game every week, individually not just whole game footage.

The attitude that exists which is you need to have played afl to coach afl is frankly garbage. Where else does this bias exist ?. Anyway I think he probably had his own ideas about the football side of things and obviously wanted to have some input rightly or wrongly.
Fair enough. I actually used to play for MHSOB in the amateurs back in the day. 40+ years ago.

So they boost the high profile clubs, and further repress the low profile clubs.

You make your own luck and we've been s**t since 2010, 14 years of mediocrity doesn't get you more access to marquee games. We have just blown a Thursday primetime fixture by not turning up and probably blow tomorrow so will have zero next year. That's not conspiracy, that's bad management.

How good is Anzac Day ? I love it. It’s just a pity imo that the afl don’t give other teams a chance to play these marque games.

We played an Anzac Day game 10 years ago against Brisbane in Wellington where we lost to them by 3 points in a terrible game.

That was back in the bad old Richo days but at least Joey Montagna won the Anzac Day medal with 37 disposals and 2 goals.

So they boost the high profile clubs, and further repress the low profile clubs.
Sooner or later people will stop blaming the AFL and realise the club and its past administrators are the issue.
The AFL is a commercial business and would be derelict in its duty if it didnt promote the higher profile clubs.
People can whinge all they like, we support a minnow of a club in a league where equality is pure lip service to profit.

We played an Anzac Day game 10 years ago against Brisbane in Wellington where we lost to them by 3 points in a terrible game.

That was back in the bad old Richo days but at least Joey Montagna won the Anzac Day medal with 37 disposals and 2 goals.

After all the other old players had moved on, Joey became a midfield beast.
When he went forward he kicked goals.

THis made Richo very concerned , so he was moved to HBF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back