Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We did try in NZ 3 years running and got belted.

Results really shouldn't matter in this regard, the "problem" being every man and dog had eyes to Asia instead of NZ so we really had no real support to grow the game locally in our pond with said NZ. So when you can barely support yourself, you're kind of reliant on others to come with you, and no one really did as they reviewed and Wellington said nope.

It's kind of unrealistic to expect a majority of supporters here to travel over there randomly depending on matches, as it's not like we're to the extent of soccer or NBA and such to travel with teams with levels of fervency, so without that support it promptly died in the arse. I mean, 2 years into a 5 year NZ said "no thanks", that's not an us issue results wise.

Kind of why Tassie is so important really, as since the AFL previously went "eh too hard, support these Vic clubs and give us money you hacks" how are they going to grow anything when you have to hop on a plane and cross water?

Really, the AFL is reactionary in this regard, you have means to make something work, China and USA and co is fanciful really, NZ was correct choice but no one considered how they didn't care, we didn't care as a group, and then it failed to take seed.

Results really shouldn't matter in this regard, the "problem" being every man and dog had eyes to Asia instead of NZ so we really had no real support to grow the game locally in our pond with said NZ. So when you can barely support yourself, you're kind of reliant on others to come with you, and no one really did as they reviewed and Wellington said nope.

It's kind of unrealistic to expect a majority of supporters here to travel over there randomly depending on matches, as it's not like we're to the extent of soccer or NBA and such to travel with teams with levels of fervency, so without that support it promptly died in the arse. I mean, 2 years into a 5 year NZ said "no thanks", that's not an us issue results wise.

Kind of why Tassie is so important really, as since the AFL previously went "eh too hard, support these Vic clubs and give us money you hacks" how are they going to grow anything when you have to hop on a plane and cross water?

Really, the AFL is reactionary in this regard, you have means to make something work, China and USA and co is fanciful really, NZ was correct choice but no one considered how they didn't care, we didn't care as a group, and then it failed to take seed.

The entire population of NZ is 5 Million, similar to melbourne.
The entire population of Tas is 540 000.

The entire population of NZ is 5 Million, similar to melbourne.
The entire population of Tas is 540 000.

What I inferred was, the AFL only gave a s**t about international in Asia, Europe and the USA, so, prior to, everyone else over any body of water got told to GAGF and go it alone with agreements.

Hence why we were the ones negotiating with Wellington and the AFL was just there to take a cut and say "this is legit".

meh, we've had our chances over the years.
played poorly and members didnt turn up.
we just arent commercially viable for these big games.
Neither the members nor the team turned up if I recall it correctly.
Good Friday was an abomination.

NZ does make some logical sense given it's only a 3 hour flight away. China doesn't.
Neither the members nor the team turned up if I recall it correctly.
Good Friday was an abomination.
The good Friday game everyone showed up. Except North Melbourne and St Kilda.

Both sides produced the single worst game of football I've ever seen.

What I inferred was, the AFL only gave a s**t about international in Asia, Europe and the USA, so, prior to, everyone else over any body of water got told to GAGF and go it alone with agreements.

Hence why we were the ones negotiating with Wellington and the AFL was just there to take a cut and say "this is legit".

Wellington is 200 000 die hard rugby fans , we were crazy to go near it.

So am I now officially an honorary saints bandwagoner for 2024? 😜 (NOT NEXT WEEK THOUGH! Haha)
Fwiw Higgins is my favourite sainter. (Webster not so much! lol)
No you're not.
When you come to understand as we do that Simpkin deserved it and Webster was unfairly rubbed out. Then you'll be on your way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a whisper we are looking at games in Bali - big Aussie tourist destination. Will get a decent crowd there.
should have told Jordy, definitely would have signed on

I know we're full of misery atm, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the team with Dow, Jweb, Henry, Wood and Collard all together.

Wood going down spurred them to the win against the Pies, we were poor before that awful moment but rarely win without him.

Henry is clearly already our mojo-man.

Dow l doubt changes much on his own but as part of the bigger picture l think he'll facilitate a step up.

Jimmy will add much needed spirit and hardness and push Bonner out. I was hoping we'd manage without him by now but we haven't. He's still vital.

Collard I'm not sure how he fits in but he'll add some spark. I'd want Hugo kept in too but I'm not seeing room for it.

BWebsterDoogsWilkie
HBSinclair BattleWanganeen-Milera
CWoodDowHill
HF HigginsHenrySharman
FCollardKing Membrey
R Marshall Steele Windhager
INT Owens Stocker
GarciaWilson sub: Byrnes

Outs are: Pou, Ross, Bonner, Cordy, Hammer

So am I now officially an honorary saints bandwagoner for 2024? 😜 (NOT NEXT WEEK THOUGH! Haha)
Fwiw Higgins is my favourite sainter. (Webster not so much! lol)
Sure pop in whenever…just don’t bring your coach.

If we actually were good we might of filled Westpac stadium or whatever the hell they call it now.

Even if we were good and had Dusty Martin and his dad playing for us we wouldn't have packed out Westpac stadium.

Rugby union is the number one sport there, rugby league a distant second, then soccer and AFL a very distant fourth.

I know we're full of misery atm, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the team with Dow, Jweb, Henry, Wood and Collard all together.

Wood going down spurred them to the win against the Pies, we were poor before that awful moment but rarely win without him.

Henry is clearly already our mojo-man.

Dow l doubt changes much on his own but as part of the bigger picture l think he'll facilitate a step up.

Jimmy will add much needed spirit and hardness and push Bonner out. I was hoping we'd manage without him by now but we haven't. He's still vital.

Collard I'm not sure how he fits in but he'll add some spark. I'd want Hugo kept in too but I'm not seeing room for it.

BWebsterDoogsWilkie
HBSinclairBattleWanganeen-Milera
CWoodDowHill
HFHigginsHenrySharman
FCollardKingMembrey
RMarshallSteeleWindhager
INTOwensStocker
GarciaWilsonsub: Byrnes

Outs are: Pou, Ross, Bonner, Cordy, Hammer
that is pretty much it. Pou on form could be in but he's not now so .... yeah.

Last edited:
We played an Anzac Day game 10 years ago against Brisbane in Wellington where we lost to them by 3 points in a terrible game.

That was back in the bad old Richo days but at least Joey Montagna won the Anzac Day medal with 37 disposals and 2 goals.
I was there for that game... the best part about the game was the after party!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back