Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy has been seriously good this year. I thought it was going to be his last season. Good on him for turning it around!
He was never bad and just lacked fitness, but still faster and a better tackler than most in his unfit state.

Did he have and injury concern against the Saints? His time on ground was 55% which was 20% less than any of our other non-injured players (apart from Graham who I imagine was managed). Against the Swans his ToG was 65% I think. Part of it would be lack of a tank, but 55% is low.

He's been really good though. Disposlas and tackles agains the Swans, goals and tackles against the Saints. Need our other players to apply as much consistent pressure as he has the past couple weeks.

Where'd he go?

Great first half minus the finishing and then 1 handball and 1 free against in the second half. Weird
Midfield led By JGTI and co. caved in . Was still busy being a pest, but did disappear and probably still not 100% fit . djspank posted this during game day , but i think he meant 27min mark of the first quarter.

1713144352056.png

Last edited:
Midfield led By JGTI and co. caved in . Was still busy being a pest, but did disappear and probably still not 100% fit . djspank posted this during game day , but i think he meant 27min mark of the first quarter.

View attachment 1960185
Canadian Wow GIF by DJ Khaled

I’d like to put my hand up and say I was wrong about MRJ. I didn’t think he’d make it, but if he gets himself up to speed with the requirements of a pro footballer I’m now confident he will develop into a very good player.

If he got himself rock hard fit he could actually be an excellent player, I’m just not overly confident he’ll ever be a 100% pro. Here’s hoping he does as we need him to take further steps.

Well done MRJ and well done Richmond selectors for showing faith in him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d like to put my hand up and say I was wrong about MRJ. I didn’t think he’d make it, but if he gets himself up to speed with the requirements of a pro footballer I’m now confident he will develop into a very good player.

If he got himself rock hard fit he could actually be an excellent player, I’m just not overly confident he’ll ever be a 100% pro. Here’s hoping he does as we need him to take further steps.

Yep, same here mate. I wrongly called him out as a no hoper too early too.

Really loving his progression now. Can't believe how tall he plays in a marking contest for such a short arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's important to acknowledge that it's not just about attitude. Some players simply don't have the physical capability to be AFL-level athletes. I'm far from convinced on MRJ yet. Nice cameos, poor decision making, questionable skills. I like the effort he's showing though.

His moves thru traffic are a real standout , clearly he’s being backed for once
Yep and I like the fact the mistakes hes making now are when hes trying to do something, that has to mean Yze has backed him in and hes not scared anymore.

I have backed Maurice all the way through. He was amazing in 2022 and he is still only 21 now. He just needs to tidy a couple of things up ball in hand, but without the ball, he is miles ahead of anyone, like his old man he has a natural chasing and tackling instinct. I love watching him play, but when we get back to finals he should be a powerful asset for us.

I think it's important to acknowledge that it's not just about attitude. Some players simply don't have the physical capability to be AFL-level athletes. I'm far from convinced on MRJ yet. Nice cameos, poor decision making, questionable skills. I like the effort he's showing though.
So you’re just looking for perfect players with super skills that never make mistakes, correct? That’s a ridiculous call on MRJ. He’s showing more than enough for a 21 year old kid.

His moves thru traffic are a real standout , clearly he’s being backed for once

Despite MRJ's poor form, poor condition, poor judgement trying to out run oppo players, poor goal kicking in games in 2023 he got 6 games at the Start of 23, 2 at the end. Coaches seem to love him.

He's returned in good nic and it looks like he's in Yze's plans. Generally playing somewhat better

The pressure in the saints game was great. His goal kicking & awareness are works in progress. CFC 5 point loss had a Mansell MRJ stuff up a goal

I did see he & Campbell on the field goal kicking an hour before the Suns game. Looks like he'll be learning on the job in the AFL.

Last edited:
Where'd he go?

Great first half minus the finishing and then 1 handball and 1 free against in the second half. Weird

Did the ball enter our F50 in the second half? 😂

Where'd he go?

Dunno about great. He had 9 possesions only 3 effective at 33% DE. Take the goal out and that translates to 2 effective disposals in an ENTIRE game. Watch his snap into the man on the mark and it's mind boggling he even attempted it, the opposition player was 3m away and already lunging at him. People can laugh and say that Richo did similar..... when you kick 800 goals and run your arse off leading non stop all day you're gonna make blunders, same as even Gary Ablett Snr would've. For all his "DEFENSIVE" work, his opponents are regularly racking up 20-35 possies a week. He has improved this year I'll give him that. But his baseline from last year was the worst player in the entire comp. I'd love to see Coulthard, Green and Cumbo given plenty of opportunities too ASAP. Surpassing MRJ's overall contribution wouldn't be hard.

mrj snap.JPG

So you’re just looking for perfect players with super skills that never make mistakes, correct? That’s a ridiculous call on MRJ. He’s showing more than enough for a 21 year old kid.
No, not at all. What worries my about MRJ is his ceiling. Do you think he can be as good as Tyson Stengle or Gryan Miers?

IMHO he won't make it. I hope I'm wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back