Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree about kicking goals from close in front, just has to nail those.
But, people bagging him for those kicks into the corridor need to realise that taking on those types of kicks are what the coach has asked for. Yze has consistently said that he’s not going to tear strips of guys that take on those kicks. Yes, they can hurt. I watched MJR closely after one that did cost us and he was upset and filthy about the outcome. Threw his mouth guard aggressively, so he knows the consequences of missing the kick.
I’m certain Yze will chat to him about the percentages and outcome, but the kick he missed would have set us up in a great position on the field if he’d nailed it, and he almost did nail it.
I really like what MJR brings to the side, and Mansell too, and I’ve not be a fan of his to this point. If those two and Seth Campbell can continue to bring the heat to the contest like they have been, we will not be the pushover many media dropkicks believe. First half again the Suns was deplorable, but our last three games have been more than decent. I went along to the G thinking Port and Swans would slaughter us, but seeing how we played despite injury issues, I can see we are going to be much better than even I thought. Could and should have beaten the filth too if not for losing our 2 KPD before halftime.
Funnily enough the kicks mrj misses are oft unforced ones from a free kick , take a breath son, no kicking to a contest

100% does not have the motor to play in the midfield
100% you can't make that assessment based on what you've seen so far. Not sure how much midfield he played yesterday but he ran the game out like I haven't seen him do before. He pushed well up the field more than I had seen from him before. And he got himself involved in more plays and got more of the footy between the arcs much more than I've seen before. That was the very first game I've seen from him where I finally saw his midfield potential at AFL level. To 100% rule it out after yesterday's game? We must have been watching a different game.

Not really. I’ve tried to improve my running ability and it’s just not been possible for me. Too old now but even as a kid, I was a reasonable mid distance runner but 10km or more, just no good. I just reckon you can distance run or you can’t 🤷‍♂️ I can power walk for 20km with ease even now but running, no chance. It’s in your DNA I reckon
Exactly i was like a MRJ being very fast over 1-20m , but once i had to do the longer yards i couldn't do it. This is why Lambert was a gem as he had all the elite running patterns and his ability to vary his speed depending on the scenario he faced. He is so missed and would lift our side to top 4 if he was still about.

He can play the lad it’s all above his shoulders and continued development he will be a good player
When you feel the love from the coaches that happens

Still has very big issues regarding fitness, would like to see his stats first half vs second. Wanganeen killed us as a spare defender with his precise disposal, was not (incapable) shut down by our "defensive" forwards.

Still has very big issues regarding fitness, would like to see his stats first half vs second. Wanganeen killed us as a spare defender with his precise disposal, was not (incapable) shut down by our "defensive" forwards.
Think that we are playing a very inexperienced forward line overall might be making him work harder than he might otherwise if he had more experienced players around him with a stronger structure

Wanganeen-Milera carves up every week. No team has stopped him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good was that chase down out of nowhere

Just launched himself like a cannonball

Would love to see some wider vision to see how far away he was before he elected to go for it

How good was that chase down out of nowhere

Just launched himself like a cannonball

Would love to see some wider vision to see how far away he was before he elected to go for it
We havent seen that since his debut games, it was delicious and turned the momentum on its head.

We havent seen that since his debut games, it was delicious and turned the momentum on its head.
Absolutely
When he has those “moments” it’s almost as big as kicking a goal
It tends to really inspire the other players to kick it up a gear

You just wonder with him, how much is about faith from the coaches.

It just seemed like he was on the outer last year, and he let it get to him and effect his performance (not that it's an excuse for the bad performances mind you).

This year there seems to be some trust and backing from the coaches, and his belief is growing with it...

It just seemed like he was on the outer last year, and he let it get to him and effect his performance (not that it's an excuse for the bad performances mind you).

This year there seems to be some trust and backing from the coaches, and his belief is growing with it...
I had hoped the same for Cumbo.

Yze to come in, wrap his arms around these kids, give them some belief and freedom and it would all click.

I also think his teammates, I know Dan does it all the time, but I've seen a few other teammates go up to him when he does something really good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back