Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

He played great one of his best games for the club but at the same time he needs to kick those 20m straight out in front & he did turn it over that led to Swans goals, If we didn't win, I doubt ppl would be saying he played good.

We got to have perspective he needs to clean up his kicking. I don't expect players not to make mistakes.
but let's be honest half of his game was good half of it was bad.
Agree about kicking goals from close in front, just has to nail those.
But, people bagging him for those kicks into the corridor need to realise that taking on those types of kicks are what the coach has asked for. Yze has consistently said that he’s not going to tear strips of guys that take on those kicks. Yes, they can hurt. I watched MJR closely after one that did cost us and he was upset and filthy about the outcome. Threw his mouth guard aggressively, so he knows the consequences of missing the kick.
I’m certain Yze will chat to him about the percentages and outcome, but the kick he missed would have set us up in a great position on the field if he’d nailed it, and he almost did nail it.
I really like what MJR brings to the side, and Mansell too, and I’ve not be a fan of his to this point. If those two and Seth Campbell can continue to bring the heat to the contest like they have been, we will not be the pushover many media dropkicks believe. First half again the Suns was deplorable, but our last three games have been more than decent. I went along to the G thinking Port and Swans would slaughter us, but seeing how we played despite injury issues, I can see we are going to be much better than even I thought. Could and should have beaten the filth too if not for losing our 2 KPD before halftime.

He played great one of his best games for the club but at the same time he needs to kick those 20m straight out in front & he did turn it over that led to Swans goals, If we didn't win, I doubt ppl would be saying he played good.

We got to have perspective he needs to clean up his kicking. I don't expect players not to make mistakes.
but let's be honest half of his game was good half of it was bad.
Personally, I would have said he played well regardless of whether we won or lost. He needed to nail those types of kicks in front of goal, but his best yesterday was perfect for a small forward. He brought the heat, he evaded Sydney players' tackle attempts. Really liked his game overall.

Best game for the club yesterday, and it was great to see him continue to take that inside option even after he missed a few as it just opened up so many options for us instead of being stuck going down the line. Hopefully he can build on this game moving forward.

Staggering he had 17 touches. His previous next best in a game ever was 14 only twice and 12 only 3 times. This is the challenge for Maurice. We've seen the impact he can have. He was one of the best players on the field impact wise yesterday.

His 4 or 5 disposal games need to be consistently turned into these type of games. Maybe not 17 touches but when he's consistently involved good things happen.

Staggering he had 17 touches. His previous next best in a game ever was 14 only twice and 12 only 3 times. This is the challenge for Maurice. We've seen the impact he can have. He was one of the best players on the field impact wise yesterday.

His 4 or 5 disposal games need to be consistently turned into these type of games. Maybe not 17 touches but when he's consistently involved good things happen.
Was off the back of massive work rate he pushed super hard to help out the wingers to become an outlet option but also apply that pressure

Was one of the reasons why our backs had such a good game as well, made sure the swans mids and wingers didn’t have a huge amount of opportunities to find some space to exploit those pin point passes that they are known for

There was a passage of play where he stepped around about 4 blokes, and then I swear he got tripped but the ump called play on. May have been watching through black and yellow glasses.

Hopefully the turning point for him. Don't expect him to play like that every match, but if he can get to 75% of it consistently and occasionally rip out a similar game then he's a lock.

Last edited:
I'm hands down his biggest critic and will give him credit for an improved showing but he's still making incredibly costly turnovers with kicks that he's clearly not capable of - to the centre of the ground.

Improved showing but it's a very low bar right now.

Hope he continues to improve

I’d say playing a super game against the best side in the League sort of moves the bar to an extremely high level . Tough audience .
Your clayton’s apology is not unnoticed . How about just applauding ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If the two brain fades are referring to the 2 kicks into the corridor that were intercepted, then I think calling them "brain fades" is very harsh.

Poor execution, sure, but was clearly aiming for a teammate in the corridor, and we saw how damaging those were in the 3rd quarter when he hit two teammates up that turned into scoreboard impact. If you tell him to stop those kicks to stop the "brain fades", then you also don't get the two scores we kick when MRJ does hit the target in the corridor.

A brain fade is what Blakey did from the kick out, landing in the lap of aa Tigers player (who hits up Baker for a goal), with no Sydney player in a 5m radius of where he kicked the ball to.
Execution, brain fade, what ever you want to call it. I'm one of his biggest supporters, but concentration to execute is paramount. As for blakey, the man is a turn over merchant and over rated.

If the two brain fades are referring to the 2 kicks into the corridor that were intercepted, then I think calling them "brain fades" is very harsh.

Poor execution, sure, but was clearly aiming for a teammate in the corridor, and we saw how damaging those were in the 3rd quarter when he hit two teammates up that turned into scoreboard impact. If you tell him to stop those kicks to stop the "brain fades", then you also don't get the two scores we kick when MRJ does hit the target in the corridor.

A brain fade is what Blakey did from the kick out, landing in the lap of aa Tigers player (who hits up Baker for a goal), with no Sydney player in a 5m radius of where he kicked the ball to.

This ^^^^^^^^^

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, he’s a small forward primarily but can can have a run in the midfield for sure
How’s he more a small forward? They generally kick goals

He’s playing better as a mid than a forward

Anyway why put a title on someone, silly I reckon

Well that’s just effort and discipline isn’t it?
Not really. I’ve tried to improve my running ability and it’s just not been possible for me. Too old now but even as a kid, I was a reasonable mid distance runner but 10km or more, just no good. I just reckon you can distance run or you can’t 🤷‍♂️ I can power walk for 20km with ease even now but running, no chance. It’s in your DNA I reckon

Not really. I’ve tried to improve my running ability and it’s just not been possible for me. Too old now but even as a kid, I was a reasonable mid distance runner but 10km or more, just no good. I just reckon you can distance run or you can’t 🤷‍♂️ I can power walk for 20km with ease even now but running, no chance. It’s in your DNA I reckon
You can definitely build a tank and your fitness up… to what extent that’s probably the DNA of the individual I’m no scientist

It can to do with the type of muscles you have some have fast twitch and others have slow twitch muscles

Some people are built for burst power while others built for distance
Overall aerobic fitness also a massive factor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back