Daniel Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez how lucky were we to get 3 flags under his tutelage after he turned traitor on Essendon, Port Adelaide and Hawthorn.
How lucky he was he got new assistants in 17 who put together the preseason whilst he was in America till two weeks before the season started

How lucky he was he got new assistants in 17 who put together the preseason whilst he was in America till two weeks before the season started
Was at Maroochydore when he got back and was throwing in the ball for Hampson. How many flags did the Hampster play in? Then he was umpiring the intra club games whilst Blake was in the stands taking notes. lol

I have no idea what kids might have been available with one of the TT or JH picks. But bringing both of them in pushed Prestia, Cotch forward, kept Graham forward, Bolton fwd, Ross on a wing. Dusty back in the team too relegated Sonsie to VFL. Dow to depth.

Overloaded with mids who we played up fwd not real sucessfully.

Bring in McAuliffe when Cotch retired was good, staggered. A KPF type might have been handy a couple of drafts back.

TT and Hopper were 7+ year plays, not just 2023/24 with Cotch then Prestia, Martin etcโ€ฆ still around.

To be a really good team you need 6-7 x players who can play to a high level in the midfield, not 2-3. Letโ€™s assume Prestia and Martin are not there in 2025โ€ฆ.

Without TT and Hopper weโ€™d be looking at:

Bolton
Dow
Sonsie
Graham
Ross
McAuliffe
Draftee
Draftee

The only one of that entire group Iโ€™m confident can play at a high level in midfield is Bolton, and even he has major defensive deficiencies as a midfielder.

If the others stagnate and other draftees are not โ€˜winsโ€™ then weโ€™d be seriously stuffed for 5-6 years or more.

We may be stuffed anyway, but what are the chances of young mids not taken in the top-10 of the draft developing well being thrown to the wolves with minimal senior bodies around them?

Of course we ended up overpaying for Hopper โ€ฆ it included a F1 and we expected it to be mid-teens at worse. But we were crud and we overpaid. Thatโ€™s life.

But im happier knowing those two are on the list โ€ฆ Iโ€™d be seriously worried about the short-medium term future without themโ€ฆ our midfield would be diabolical, and weโ€™d need to spend all of our draft picks on midfielders, which carries its own big risks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

TT and Hopper were 7+ year plays, not just 2023/24 with Cotch then Prestia, Martin etcโ€ฆ still around.

To be a really good team you need 6-7 x players who can play to a high level in the midfield, not 2-3. Letโ€™s assume Prestia and Martin are not there in 2025โ€ฆ.

Without TT and Hopper weโ€™d be looking at:

Bolton
Dow
Sonsie
Graham
Ross
McAuliffe
Draftee
Draftee

The only one of that entire group Iโ€™m confident can play at a high level in midfield is Bolton, and even he has major defensive deficiencies as a midfielder.

If the others stagnate and other draftees are not โ€˜winsโ€™ then weโ€™d be seriously stuffed for 5-6 years or more.

We may be stuffed anyway, but what are the chances of young mids not taken in the top-10 of the draft developing well being thrown to the wolves with minimal senior bodies around them?

Of course we ended up overpaying for Hopper โ€ฆ it included a F1 and we expected it to be mid-teens at worse. But we were crud and we overpaid. Thatโ€™s life.

But im happier knowing those two are on the list โ€ฆ Iโ€™d be seriously worried about the short-medium term future without themโ€ฆ our midfield would be diabolical, and weโ€™d need to spend all of our draft picks on midfielders, which carries its own big risks.

The 7 year plan is what? 8th to 13th last year to 16th currently. 19th when Tassie come in?

My complaint was B O T H of them on the list. They can play and worth the $750k they addressed our clearances issue but the unintended consequence was a a non functioning fwd line even before Lynch injury. Which Mini & Yze have continued on with

Upside is if/when Prestia, Martin & Graham depart we have these 2 already. When Hopper can get on the park

Last edited:
I donโ€™t like it when players sign for a five year deal and then move into talks with other clubs to dishonour their contracts. I hope it was just an innocent birthday gathering, but I donโ€™t trust Dimma so expect the worse.
big dumma

prob hit on his missus too

I donโ€™t like it when players sign for a five year deal and then move into talks with other clubs to dishonour their contracts. I hope it was just an innocent birthday gathering, but I donโ€™t trust Dimma so expect the worse.
I donโ€™t expect that thereโ€™s anything in it , he has strong connections to the RFC and bruz playing group not to mention mrj , all thatโ€™s a lot stronger than his relationship with dimma and some imaginary quest for a GC flag ,,,,I do think we will trade some players out , Dan wonโ€™t be one of them

What do people think of Baker for Josh Treacy and pick 27?

I would have said straight swap for Jye Amiss but that ain't gunna happen lol
Neither are gonna happen my friend ๐Ÿ˜‚
Treacy is rapidly becoming one of the best young key forwards in the AFL. Not even a top 5 pick would prise him out of freo at this stage. Value skyrocketing every week that passes.

Iโ€™m not sure Iโ€™ve seen anyone in recent history who can tricky pick up a ground ball at serious pace and then ACCELERATE out of the contest so quickly. Rioli has some amazing natural talents, heโ€™s great to watch. Heโ€™s tough too. Iโ€™d stick him in the middle!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have i become immune to emotions about players moving ?

If Drioli wants to go to GC then let him go but make sure GC pay the required price for approaching a long term contracted player.

They have picks #8 , #9 , #20
Drioli , #42 , #49

Turbo Charge the rebuild

Have i become immune to emotions about players moving ?

If Drioli wants to go to GC then let him go but make sure GC pay the required price for approaching a long term contracted player.

They have picks #8 , #9 , #20
Drioli , #42 , #49

Turbo Charge the rebuild

Would hate to lose young Dan but if we are after high end draft picks and regeneration of the list then dealing with the GC Suns would be the best case scenario IMO.

The 7 year plan is what? 8th to 13th last year to 16th currently. 19th when Tassie come in?

My complaint was B O T H of them on the list. They can play and worth the $750k they addressed our clearances issue but the unintended consequence was a a non functioning fwd line even before Lynch injury. Which Mini & Yze have continued on with

Upside is if/when Prestia, Martin & Graham depart we have these 2 already. When Hopper can get on the park

If Sonsie and McAuliffe develop as we hope, then a combo of TT, Hopper, McAuliffe, Sonsie, Dow and Bolton is a great blend of everyone we need.

In terms of โ€˜big bodiedโ€™ clearance players having two is fineโ€ฆ our problem is they have been surrounded with Cotchin, Prestia, Graham and Martin - old and now retired, old and slow, slow and slowing down.

Once the youngsters take over the midfield mix Hopper and TT should complement them very well. And this wouldโ€™ve been the plan all along - TT and Hopper were not going to be available post 2022 trade period, and who knows what other quality clearance mids were going to be on the horizon. We need them 2025-2029 (post Cotch,Prestia, Martin and perhaps Graham) even more than weโ€™ve needed them 2023-24.

Just gotta pray for a decent run at it from an injury perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back