Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

After a couple of reasonable games I thought against WC he went back to last years type of games. Lots of darting around, looking better without the ball than with it and then nothing in second half. Probably just one of those games for a young bloke but want to see him better again against Demons

No, not at all. What worries my about MRJ is his ceiling. Do you think he can be as good as Tyson Stengle or Gryan Miers?

IMHO he won't make it. I hope I'm wrong.
If you look at them at comparable ages they are pretty similar

Miers was a massive whipping boy at the cats with most fans wanting him delisted and saw him simply as a vfl role player

Even stengles time when he was at the crows was pretty un inspiring

Miers was a massive whipping boy at the cats with most fans wanting him delisted and saw him simply as a vfl role player

I chose those two players for the comparison (rather than say a Toby Greene) because they were NOT star players early in their career, but they have become pretty handy small forwards (one high, one deep). Even early days with both players, it was obvious that they COULD be AFL players.

Two things worry me about MRJ - his fitness and his fundamental skills. Plenty of AFL-listed players struggle with fitness OR skills, not many struggle with both. Where he has improved markedly this year is his attitude. We all love it. He's giving 100% and he does some team lifting things. I understand why he's getting picked by selection committee.

The step from his current level to very good AFL isn't huge for MRJ. Consistency and being in the right place and performing skills well is all. Many players never take that step. I hope that MRJ matures this year and puts in the effort to be really fit and to get 'smarter'.

I also reckon that we can play him through the middle a bit. Size is a problem, but his speed and intensity is awesome (potentially)

I'll put my hand up. I had severe concerns for his future at the club. When the pre-season reports came out that confirmed he had come back in poor shape and was doing fitness work away from the group, I wasn't convinced that he could cut it in a professional environment.

Well, on available evidence, looks like I was wrong. I think he is well on his way to earning a new contract. I'd only give him a 1-2 year extension though. Don't want him becoming complacent.

I'll put my hand up. I had severe concerns for his future at the club. When the pre-season reports came out that confirmed he had come back in poor shape and was doing fitness work away from the group, I wasn't convinced that he could cut it in a professional environment.

Well, on available evidence, looks like I was wrong. I think he is well on his way to earning a new contract. I'd only give him a 1-2 year extension though. Don't want him becoming complacent.
2 with a 3rd year trigger at 35 games or something like that would be good imo

Gives him some security but also incentives to perform as well

Even throw in some trigger bonuses surrounding the pre season to really put a carrot in front of his face to come back in top shape

He clearly came back in better shape this pre-season then he did last pre-season

Not amazing shape but certainly better. As long as he continues to learn that the better he keeps his condition during the offseason the better he plays then he can have a good career

The step from his current level to very good AFL isn't huge for MRJ. Consistency and being in the right place and performing skills well is all. Many players never take that step. I hope that MRJ matures this year and puts in the effort to be really fit and to get 'smarter'.

I also reckon that we can play him through the middle a bit. Size is a problem, but his speed and intensity is awesome (potentially)
Why ? he is the same size as Bolton , Prestia , Neal etc
and just as much a "Meat Ball as prestia these days"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be forced to live with TT for an entire off season and into rd 1.
Rants needs to drive the standards at the club. I wanted him captain this year. Saw something earlier that he wants to be a leader.
If MRJ had the professional attitude of Taranto... My god, he'd be a demon.

Rants needs to drive the standards at the club. I wanted him captain this year. Saw something earlier that he wants to be a leader.
If MRJ had the professional attitude of Taranto... My god, he'd be a demon.
He will be so relax as he was always going to take time. Sadly having the Legendary MRS as his father everyone expected him dancing all over the place and getting 35 possessions. He plays a completely different game and role atm and doing a wonderful job. He was never in doubt with me once his fitness built up, but we need his tank to do the same now as he's not running out games fully atm.

Last edited:
I reckon Daniel has been immense for this kid, ever since Dimma left a massive weight has lifted off his shoulders and Daniel is that calming influence. So excited to see him play with each game now.
That’s a very good point , two things from that . One Dimma had the kid with this very narrow focus on his role , tackle . And secondly , Dan will be in the leadership group next year , he has much to offer in that dept

Why ? he is the same size as Bolton , Prestia , Neal etc
and just as much a "Meat Ball as prestia these days"

Just because he will not be able to contend with the larger more powerful mids. If he can play with Taranto or Hopper alongside him then OK. If we tried on MRJ, Shai and Baker as the midfield group then they would get monstered. That is all I meant.

One observation I have is that Daniel was very fumbly when he started his career. He would regularly have to juggle the ball around when marking, taking possession and would even just suddenly lose his handle on the ball while running along with it. Daniel is now way, way cleaner with the ball due to increased calmness, experience and general skill development. Mrj very similar and will likely also get cleaner as he goes along.

You are kidding ... MRJ is a midfielder and an absolute Rolls Royce ... by the time he is 26 he will go one better than Senior and win the Brownlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back