Jack Trengove - Smokey Number 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

TOM SCULLY, John Butcher … and now Jack Trengove?
The first two mentioned have already been touted as potential No.1 and No.2 prospects in this year's NAB AFL Draft, but don't dismiss South Australia's best prospect this year, Jack Trengove, who has blossomed in this year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.
He shone with 31 disposals in South Australia's first match against Western Australia, 18 touches and two goals in his second hit-out against Queensland and 27 possessions and three majors in last weekend's win over Vic Country.
South Australian under-18 coach and former Essendon and Brisbane player Brenton Phillips said Trengove's ability to remain composed is coming to the fore.
"He's a level-headed young man. He knows where he's at and he just goes about it," he told afl.com.au.
"I like the fact nothing overawes him. He just goes about his business and he understands that he's going to get a bit of attention.
"He's been educated well enough to understand and deal with it correctly."
Although Trengove is the leading Croweater, Phillps is optimistic at least half-a-dozen of his South Australian teammates will be snapped up in the first draft meeting of 2009.
"It's hard to put figures on how many will be drafted … there are probably half a dozen in the mix that'll possibly get onto a list," he said.
"Everyone keeps saying: 'the draft's skinny'. So from that point of view, you've got no idea – it depends on what each club wants to do with its list management."
Still, there is no doubt Trengove will be on an AFL list by the year's end, but at the moment, the 17-year-old – he turns 18 on September 2 – is focusing on his carnival.
"It's good playing against the best guys in Australia, your age. It's a good experience," he told afl.com.au.
"[Hopefully I can] have a consistent championship and do my bit and the team can do well."
Trengove said he wasn’t paying much attention to talk he could be a No.1 draft prospect.
"I just go out there and try and play my best – whatever happens is good," Trengove said.
"You can put that pressure on yourself, but I just go out and have a crack and see what happens."
The 185cm Trengove, who hails from Kybybolite/Sturt, is a versatile player with his inside midfield and forward work a feature of his game.
An Adelaide fan, Trengove's role models in the game are Gary Ablett jnr and Chris Judd.
And for the record, he is no relation to first-year Port Adelaide player Jackson Trengove.
"It's a pretty uncommon name, but I don't know of any relations. I haven't actually met him yet," he said of his namesake.
But like his namesake, an AFL list beckons.

What do people think of his chances? It's hard to see him go number 1 with Scully and Butcher being thrown around but at this stage, I see him going at around pick 3.

This bloke is going to be a gun. It's just a shame that Sturt wont get to see much of him at all.

It's one of the vagaries of the draft process that says a kid can get drafted before he's really ready for league footy at the local level.

Cant see him breaking top 3
Melb will have picks 1,3 or 1+2
and will go with Vic boys, then you have freo and WCE they might pick up local talent in Morabito and Lucas, which leaves him at 5-7 along with Koby stevens

Cant see him breaking top 3
Melb will have picks 1,3 or 1+2
and will go with Vic boys, then you have freo and WCE they might pick up local talent in Morabito and Lucas, which leaves him at 5-7 along with Koby stevens

This sounds good in theory but there is no way a club would pass on someone if they had proven themselves the best available.

i want the dockers to get him, 3rd or 4th pick it doesnt matter, but in reality i think he will slide, he is lightning quick or haveing outstanding athletic attributes, maybe around pick 10 to 15, reminds me of a sidebottom type player.

Highly likely that one of Trengove or Stevens will be at North next year, they will be right around the mix at Norths pick, and will be looking for another ball winning midfielder.

Think it will pan out like this.

1. Melb
2. Melb
3. WC
4. North/Freo/Rich
5. North/Freo/ Rich
6. North/Freo/Rich

Either way, North will likely be in the hunt for one of Stevens, Morabito or Trengove imo.

Highly likely that one of Trengove or Stevens will be at North next year, they will be right around the mix at Norths pick, and will be looking for another ball winning midfielder.

1. Melb
2. Melb
3. WC
4. North/Freo/Rich
5. North/Freo/ Rich
6. North/Freo/Rich

Either way, North will likely be in the hunt for one of Stevens, Morabito or Trengove imo.

If this happens, (which I hope does) then I can't see Melbourne going past two classy midfielders. Sure Butcher is tempting but looking at all of our games we're getting smashed in the middle.
Scully is a definite at this stage, then probably either Lucas, Stevens or Trengove.

Oh man

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will look forward to the final weekend at Etihad (are they going to be televised like last year ? ) so I can have a look at some of the interstate kids.

What I find more amazing is that within 2 years you have 2 totally unrelated Trengoves, one Jack & one Jackson, makes the 2 Victorian key forwards in Mitch Brown seem almost common.

Will look forward to the final weekend at Etihad (are they going to be televised like last year ? ) so I can have a look at some of the interstate kids.

What I find more amazing is that within 2 years you have 2 totally unrelated Trengoves, one Jack & one Jackson, makes the 2 Victorian key forwards in Mitch Brown seem almost common.

i know on wed Jan 1 they are showing all 4 games on fox sports.

Wait so he's not related to Jackson Trengove? All this time I just thought his parents had a "J" obsession and were soon to release Jake Trengove...

1. Melb
2. Melb
3. WC
4. North/Freo/Rich
5. North/Freo/ Rich
6. North/Freo/Rich

I think it will end up something like this:

1.Melb
2.Melb
3.Freo/Rich
4.WC/Rich/Freo
5.WC/Freo/North
6.WC/North

Richmond has only 3 winnable games. Rd 16 vs North (50/50), Rnd 18 vs Melb (50/50) and Rnd 22 vs WC ( 50/50 with WC slight favourites, though if WC are on four wins expect a major tank that would rival Carltons tanking against Melb a few years back)

WC has only 4 50/50 games and also games where they can cause an upset due to home ground advantage. West Coast also currently has a better percentage then Rich or Freo. 50/50 or favourites games are Rd 14 vs Melb (50/50), Rd 17 vs Freo (50/50), Rd 20 vs North (Favourites), Rd 22 vs Rich (Favourites). They can potentially cause an upset due to home ground advantage against Hawthorn (Hawks are having a hangover) and Rd 18 vs Essendon.

Fremantle has 3 50/50 games and also games where they can cause an upset due home ground advantage. 50/50 or favourites games are Rd 17 vs WC (50/50), Rd 19 Port Adelaide and Rd 20 vs Melb (50/50). They can cause an upset against Carlton, Brisbane and Essendon.

North has one game more than Freo, Rich and WC. The game where they will be 50/50 or favourites are Rd 16 vs Rich, Rd 19 vs Melb, Rd 20 vs WC.

I don't think he's a smokey number 1.

He looks very good, and he might judge the top 5, but I think he'll end up somewhere from 6-10.

As polished as he is, I don't think he's quite got as big a hurt factor as other midfielders in the pool.

I think with Trengove we are all under selling his Leadership ability.

This is another outstanding trait of his he was considered the best leader of all teams during the championships.

He will probaly end up captaining the club he plays for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back