Jack Trengove - Smokey Number 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting question.

If they didn't trade for Judd you would think they would have Morton, J Kennedy and someone like a Notte/ Maric or Pears for pick 20.

I honestly think they would be better off now if they didn't get him. If they had Pears/ Morton/ Kennedy, they would be in alot better shape than they are now.
We're better off losing games than winning matches with Judd? :confused: :rolleyes:

We would have drafted a mid in Palmer and not Morton if we didn't sign Judd.

No thanks to Morton and Maric.

Carlton drafted players who would put their head over the ball in the 2007 draft...

Kreuzer, Browne, Armfield, Joseph and Ellard all go when they have to.

I prefer Henderson to Kennedy who is a forward or a ruck at a pinch like Tom Hawkins.

The former Lion can play at both ends of the ground.
Gibbs is a good player but doesn't have much ' Hurt Factor ' with his possessions.
:thumbsu: :D
SANFL is the second best competition in Australia and Trengove, a year 12 student with no pre season gets tagged (according to most people anyway) in the biggest game of the year.

If you can't see that as a compliment to Trengove, then i think someone is just a little jealous.

IIRC Gibbs wasn't even tagged at SANFL level.
Does Trengove being tagged make him a better footballer?

Using your logic, Yarran should have been rated higher because he had half backs such as Suban for example watching him closely and trying to shut him down in the champs.

Who would anyone be jealous of the wooden spooner getting Trengove and Scully?

Picks one and two aren't a bargain.

Birchall, Rioli, Dangerfield and Higgins landed at their respective clubs with mid first round picks.

Melksham, Sheppard, Lucas or Black would slot in nicely at Carlton and improve our depth and best 22.

Dont think it matters if he was tagged or not in the SANFL GF - 20 posessions for an 18 y/o in such a high level GF is sensational.

Trengove is getting all the hype atm, but I actually still rate Scully as (only slightly) better. He doesnt have as many strings to his bow as Trengove but his ability to get to an unbeleivable number of contests, win contested posession and release running teamates with handballs in traffic is at a standard Im not sure Ive seen before.

Anyway we can sort out whos better after they each play 12+ years for the Dees!! :D

Scully is miles better. Scully Blanket > Trengove, Martin, Morabito and Lucas.

^ Good post. Trengove at pick 2 is not a bargin by any stretch of the imagination, what Melbourne have to ask themselves is this question, in 5 years time will Trengove be the second best player from this draft?

Rubbish, it doesn't work like that. Would Essendon look at a player and think to themselves 'In 5 years time will this kid be the 11th best player in the draft?' (or whatever your first pick is)
What clubs look at and think is...

Will this kid end up being able to play good AFL football consistently?
Does he have the skills and body type to survive?
Does he have the character and mentality to not only survive at AFL level but flourish and positively influence his peers?

Perhaps not exactly that but something along those lines. the Top 4 or 5 this years are pretty even, Trengove, along with Scully, Martin and Morabito all look like they'll be very good players. I'm happy with any two of those.

Rubbish, it doesn't work like that. Would Essendon look at a player and think to themselves 'In 5 years time will this kid be the 11th best player in the draft?'

Of course, the first thing some posters have in mind when a player's being selected is "will he be trolled on BF during the early stages of his development or not?"

Long-term thinking at its best :p

And yeah, I'm pretty confident that Trengove has the necessary mental and physical attributes to be a very good player in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back