Preview Changes/Preview – Round 8 vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, pretty much this. I can't see a world where Goody doesn't have one of Petty, Brown or TMac up forward.
Goodwin is like people who enter the lottery. You never win, but have to play the same numbers just in case next week is the big one

Can’t see us dropping Petty.

If McAdam comes in it will probably be for Woewoeden.

I didn’t think Windsor’s game was bad at all last night either. 14 possessions, 4 tackles and a goal from 3 quarters - and I thought his defensive running was fantastic too.
Windsor was ok, though had a couple of glaring turnovers in the corridor (not alone there).

Think Petty is probably safe too, despite being well down on form. Would like to see us try a smaller setup, or even go with Fullarton to give JVR a game or two just as a forward - don't mind his rucking stints, but think better in the long run if he gets more time just playing forward.

Hunter in, probably for Woey or Billings. Sparrow had another nothing game but is a permanent fixture.

Windsor was ok, though had a couple of glaring turnovers in the corridor (not alone there).

Think Petty is probably safe too, despite being well down on form. Would like to see us try a smaller setup, or even go with Fullarton to give JVR a game or two just as a forward - don't mind his rucking stints, but think better in the long run if he gets more time just playing forward.

Hunter in, probably for Woey or Billings. Sparrow had another nothing game but is a permanent fixture.
If Petty puts a couple more poor games in we’d ideally throw him back for a month.

Problem is that TMac is going ok and you wouldn’t want to disrupt that.

We are basically wanting for 1 more decent tall KPP to have either back or forward as needed.

apart from that horrific kick last night, Tmac's field kicking has been surprisingly good this year, he has made several low and fast 30m passes through the corridor already this season, and there's no way are we taking him out of defence on the back of one poor outing

apart from that horrific kick last night, Tmac's field kicking has been surprisingly good this year, he has made several low and fast 30m passes through the corridor already this season, and there's no way are we taking him out of defence on the back of one poor outing
Agree.

He has always been a good field kick when he stays within his limitations. Low, fast, straight style over 20-40m.

His problem historically was always decision making, specifically - getting sucked into the 55 metre switch kick where he has to loft it too high and it takes too long to get there.

McAdam needs another VFL game just to make sure his body is ready for the step up otherwise he would come in for woey.

No change for me. Need McDonald's height/size down back for the resting ruckman threat. Need Windsor's speed to match guys like Holmes and Dempsey.

Petty stays in and plays a defensive role on Stewart if he gets back from concussion.

I would be open to swapping woey to sub and Laurie in

or dropping woey for Hore to give more flexibility to defense (and Rivers some midfield minutes).

Maybe even drop sparrow, bring rivers into middle and hore back.

Exciting to start to feel like we have some options and flexibility again. Some serious selection squeezes coming over the next few weeks I think.

Petty has played five games and kicked one sausage. That’s an average of .2 goals per game so at that rate he’ll have a monster 4 goals total if we play him forward for the rest of the year.

He’s embarrassing. Drop the campaigner.

Individual midfield performances are a bit of a concern at the moment. Gawn is having a consistent season and that's a great start.

We all know Oliver isn't near his best. Viney started the season like a house on fire but has faded to just average performances recently. Sparrow is just being same old bog average Sparrow.

This is leaving Trac as the target for tagging and no one is really stepping up.

Need to send Trac forward if struggling under a tag and get Kozzy in there for a good stint. Would also love to see Rivers run through a lot in place of Viney or Oliver when they're struggling. Not sure where you put them in that case though. Maybe Viney as a defensive forward and Oliver...to the bench for an extended period?

Either way, our three main ball winners are all putting in average performances at the same time. That's not good.

Last edited:
Individual midfield performances are a bit of a concern at the moment. Gawn is having a consistent seasons and that's a great start.

We all know Oliver isn't near his best. Viney started the season like a house on fire but has faded to just average performances recently. Sparrow is just being same old bog average Sparrow.

This is leaving Trac as the target for tagging and no one is really stepping up.

Need to send Trac forward if struggling under a tag and get Kozzy in there for a good stint. Would also love to see Rivers run through a lot in place of Viney or Oliver when they're struggling. Not sure where you put them in that case though. Maybe Viney as a defensive forward and Oliver...to the bench for an extended period?

Either way, our three main ball winners are all putting in average performances at the same time. That's not good.

Yeah I'm very concerned by the midfield, Viney has really dropped off and Trac has had some great games but also some crap ones. We need at least ONE of Oliver/Trac at an AA level this year to be any good and Trac was there until his last two shockers, the other concern being Oliver looks a country mile off his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield is just so ******* boring. Pickett plays the starting centre bounce and it feels like he either wins it or impacts every single time, Salem played 2 games there and now we're back to the same boring af rotations

Koz actually had a decent amount of time in there Wednesday night, but I don't get why it takes Goody so long to learn these lessons. Rivers also looked good in there against Brisbane, why is he relegated to the back half against Richmond?

Koz actually had a decent amount of time in there Wednesday night, but I don't get why it takes Goody so long to learn these lessons. Rivers also looked good in there against Brisbane, why is he relegated to the back half against Richmond?
That was after Salem pinged the hammy right? Unless it's a key back or forward Goody doesn't move anyone we are so rigid in how we play.

Koz has that magic where he can stroll out of a stoppage at half speed and still be quicker than everyone else. Suspensions plays it part but if goody can't turn him into a multiple AA it's an indictment on his coaching he has so much ability

That was after Salem pinged the hammy right? Unless it's a key back or forward Goody doesn't move anyone we are so rigid in how we play.

Koz has that magic where he can stroll out of a stoppage at half speed and still be quicker than everyone else. Suspensions plays it part but if goody can't turn him into a multiple AA it's an indictment on his coaching he has so much ability

Yeah I agree, it’s crazy how many centre clearances he wins when he goes in there. Him and Windsor are our two most talented guys below 25, really need to develop them into AA level players if we are going to stay a finals team.

Yeah I agree, it’s crazy how many centre clearances he wins when he goes in there. Him and Windsor are our two most talented guys below 25, really need to develop them into AA level players if we are going to stay a finals team.
Rivers as well. He's a very very good level for a 22 year old, feels like he's been good forever now. Our system definitely stifles his ability as well, not to the extreme level we did but we should be using rivers like 2010 Aaron Davey wrapping around behind players and getting the ball on the move.

I like Viney but it's getting to the stage where I'd almost like him to get a 6-8 week injury just so we're forced to throw Rivers into the middle for a stretch

Rivers as well. He's a very very good level for a 22 year old, feels like he's been good forever now. Our system definitely stifles his ability as well, not to the extreme level we did but we should be using rivers like 2010 Aaron Davey wrapping around behind players and getting the ball on the move.

I like Viney but it's getting to the stage where I'd almost like him to get a 6-8 week injury just so we're forced to throw Rivers into the middle for a stretch

Yeah probably a bit harsh not including Rivers, he’s a much better player than I give him credit for at his age.

It all comes down to Goody having the realisation that Trac Oliver Viney doesn’t work anymore, they’re fine to all be in the side but we can’t leave them all in the middle. Annoying bit is Trac is the best mid of those 3 but he’s also the only one who can play well in another position. As I said earlier I’m all in on trading Oliver if his form doesn’t improve, even getting a shit deal back is fine if we can move the contract.

Yeah probably a bit harsh not including Rivers, he’s a much better player than I give him credit for at his age.

It all comes down to Goody having the realisation that Trac Oliver Viney doesn’t work anymore, they’re fine to all be in the side but we can’t leave them all in the middle. Annoying bit is Trac is the best mid of those 3 but he’s also the only one who can play well in another position. As I said earlier I’m all in on trading Oliver if his form doesn’t improve, even getting a s**t deal back is fine if we can move the contract.
I take the piss a little with Oliver but the main reason I'd trade him is it would actually force us to play different. We can't just set up with Oliver under Gawns feet and play extra numbers at the stoppage we'd have to bank on losing more stoppages or winning it differently. Cats and Pies have won back to back flags without having an 'elite clearance' inside mid.

I take the piss a little with Oliver but the main reason I'd trade him is it would actually force us to play different. We can't just set up with Oliver under Gawns feet and play extra numbers at the stoppage we'd have to bank on losing more stoppages or winning it differently. Cats and Pies have won back to back flags without having an 'elite clearance' inside mid.

Yeah I know, when you factor in Sparrow we’re absolutely at least one inside mid too many in the 22, if not maybe even two. Would never happen but imagine if we got rid of Oliver and basically gave his money to McLuggage. Instantly improves our balance.

Other thing is the KPD situation, I think long term Petty has to go back unless we’re doing a godfather deal a la Lever/May to an oppo player again.

Yeah I know, when you factor in Sparrow we’re absolutely at least one inside mid too many in the 22, if not maybe even two. Would never happen but imagine if we got rid of Oliver and basically gave his money to McLuggage. Instantly improves our balance.

Other thing is the KPD situation, I think long term Petty has to go back unless we’re doing a godfather deal a la Lever/May to an oppo player again.
An Oliver straight swap for Mcluggage would make a huge difference for us in many ways. I'd pull that trigger tomorrow.

Bored of talking about Sparrow, he just exists. Doesn't ever break a game open forward or in the middle he just does enough at either. About to turn 24. What is he. He should be threatening to leave if he isn't in the midfield he just has no motivation to be more than a bloke

KPD is a huge worry. Lever is crap without May so one problem makes 2. Mays also been the best FB in the league arguably. It's gonna be a drop off almost guaranteed when we get someone else.

I want a forward line of Turner, JVR, McAdam, Fritsch and two smalls. Guarantee Goody stays with a 3 tall set up though even if Petty were to go back. He'd bring in Fullarton or Brown. Gut says Petty isnt going anywhere, he'll stick with him forward despite how bad hes been.

Even if we have 3 talls, one will be on the bench / backup ruck for 75% of the game anyway. So we would likely actually only have all 3 up forward for a small period of the game, and that’s if 1 isn’t up field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back