Autopsy Round 6, 2024 : Hawks skittle Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of people bagging on Worpel, sure he didn’t get the numbers but he did a lot of the grunt work and was constantly at the bottom of packs forcing a stoppage.

Thought Frenchie was fantastic in the first half and Morrison has to stay.

Moore should probably be our captain tbh, such a tough player.

This shot is from the opening bounce. They were on him with arms wrapped around him, Cameron Ling style.

Worpel definitely getting a lot more attention now. Newcombe seemed to be copping it in other games this year. Fortunately they can't tag both.

Agree on Morrison and Cam Mac. Both impacted really well, and Morrison in particular was in everything early. Mackenzie is going to be something else.

Gunston was solid, which was good to see. He's winging it on smarts now, but we seemed to operate better up forward.

Frost is playing like a beast this year. Ditto Meek.

Tough to judge what all this means, given it was the beggars. But any team can beat any other team on the day, as Freo found out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 3.08.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 3.08.28 PM.png
    487.6 KB · Views: 67
And how many of those months have we actually played football?
People use calendar time to mark how long it’s been between wins all the time. There is a twitter account dedicated to how many days since Essendon won a final.

She’s not my favourite commentator at all but why criticise her for things other media people say all the time.

Interesting listening to Sam’s post match press conference where he spoke about Rama being stiff to miss out and how the squeeze to fit them all in is tricky. Mentioned the midfield is performing better with the new ruckman, that the spread of goal kickers wasn’t by design, spoke about Frosty’s willingness for a contest and that every line played their role. Spoke highly of HMo and Gunners and how their experience added much to the team. There was even a hint of a smile when discussing those two,
Unlike the Fonz, will admit I was wrong on the Gunston selection.

Harry is a must as he brings leadership and a level of composure. Serong (or Philips) frees up Sicily. Ward should stay at Box Hill until he can take Worpel's position, not a wing.

Others will get more plaudits but Frosty outstanding. Not a sentence I would have expected to write before this year

If he keeps this up, he will finish very high in our B&F. Unfortunately, people will likely mock us and use it as a sign of how bad we are rather than recognise just how good he has been this year. But who cares right?

As the Hawk most derided by his own supporter base (and the broader footy public), you love to see this kind of redemption story.

Well done Frosty.

Good to get the 4 points with no injuries. Looked like we ran out of steam during the 3rd, probably result of the tough training during the week.

The 2nd qtr was elite, can't recall a missed tackle.

Frosty much man love, gives 100%. Shame Larkey got 2 cheapies near the end. I have no idea but i assume Frosty spent all off season working on 25 to 40 metre kicks, can honestly recall him missing one of these this season.

Weddle spending periods forward looked really dangerous.

Gunston back in was a good call, shame he couldn't get snag a couple more.

Morrison plays rest of the year.

Our forward pressure was good, didn't let the beggars rebound easily.

There should a national inquiry into the umpiring against Ginnivan.

Not sure what to make of Meeks games yesterday against Xerri, TBH thought Xerri was best for the beggars. 2 goals for Meek probably makes his game look better than what it actually was.

How good is it to have a ruckman kicking goals. Love it.

Ginni made some bad decisions which seemed out of character. Still kicked 2 but could have had 4 if he had his normal snapping boots on.

Sicily's worst is still pretty damn good.

Big Lloyd has never looked as silky as he did kicking his second. Showed a lot more composure than most AFL players do in that situation.

People use calendar time to mark how long it’s been between wins all the time. There is a twitter account dedicated to how many days since Essendon won a final.

She’s not my favourite commentator at all but why criticise her for things other media people say all the time.
Had Collingwood won round 1 would they have said it’s 5 months since their last win?
It’s pointless hyperbole

They did not expect a crowd of 30,000 plus. Their estimates somewhere between 23k and 25k max.
That's really poor from the AFL. The 3 games we played against Nth, Saints and Dogs as the away team last year drew more than 30k. They really should do better. It doesn't encourage people to go when they know that half the ground is going to be closed off. Why should people be forced to seat on the back row behind the goals when perfectly good seating on the wing is sitting empty.

There are going to be games where they can close off parts of the top deck, but not when 2 Melbourne based teams are playing.

This shot is from the opening bounce. They were on him with arms wrapped around him, Cameron Ling style.

Worpel definitely getting a lot more attention now. Newcombe seemed to be copping it in other games this year. Fortunately they can't tag both.

Agree on Morrison and Cam Mac. Both impacted really well, and Morrison in particular was in everything early. Mackenzie is going to be something else.

Gunston was solid, which was good to see. He's winging it on smarts now, but we seemed to operate better up forward.

Tough to judge what all this means, given it was the beggars. But any team can beat any other team on the day, as Freo found out.

Nash and Worpel at times went head to head with LDU.

LDU was largely ineffective.

Seemed like I saw Worpel at HFF a few times as well rotating with Moore. Late in the game it was Newcombe going deep forward while Moore got some midfield time.

Agree tough to know what it really means until after the Sydney game. The amount of times North fumbled or miskicked their developing attacks was comical.

We probably don’t win that game against any other team. North are VFL level at best.

Any team in the AFL can beat any other team on their day.

WC over Freo is a case in point.

Every win is important. To build culture, player confidence, team belief, a supporter base, membership etc.

I agree there's no need to get too excited. But we really needed a win, and should acknowledge that by enjoying it a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finn is such an intense dude. The opposition get really angry at him.
He's clearly worked on his inside 50 disposal and his hitting some very good kicks.
Has added contested marking to his game and kicked 4 goals in two weeks.

I don't think he'll ever be elite in the skills department but he's elite in some other departments and I think he might be a really good long term contributor.

Finn could have had two more goals too. One was an absolute certainty when MacDonald marked but was held up, Finn was 30m in the clear streaming towards goals.

I think he had another run with Sheezel trailing him that could have been rewarded, but wasn't. Playing this role will allow him to use his athleticism to push hard forward and get goalside, where no one will keep up with him.

Meek is currently #4 in the league for hit outs to advantage. Behind Gawn, ROB, and Soldo.
6th for total hit outs behind ROB, Gawn, Xerri, Witts and Darcy.

What were the HO to advantage stats for this game? Xerri dominated the numbers (HO and touches), but Meek was still good IMO and he kicked two goals.

I thought it was a good contest between the two. Both big bollocking ruckmen, though Xerri seemed like an immovable object at times. He certainly tackles to hurt which is something I want to see more of from Meek, we know he can do it.

Nash and Worpel at times went head to head with LDU.

LDU was largely ineffective.

Seemed like I saw Worpel at HFF a few times as well rotating with Moore. Late in the game it was Newcombe going deep forward while Moore got some midfield time.
This is North's problem.

Simpkin, LDU are both very good clearance players and they were almost completely shut out - partially by us, but also because Xerri is so ball dominant. Great on him for getting it but you'd rather he distribute to others for the clearance instead of ending with 10 himself.

What were the HO to advantage stats for this game? Xerri dominated the numbers (HO and touches), but Meek was still good IMO and he kicked two goals.

I thought it was a good contest between the two. Both big bollocking ruckmen, though Xerri seemed like an immovable object at times. He certainly tackles to hurt which is something I want to see more of from Meek, we know he can do it.

Xerri is one of the worst rucks in the game for HO to advantage. He gets a lot of clearances because his MO is to rip it out of the ruck and boot it long. Great for Supercoach. Bad for your mids.

He did out perform Meek yesterday for hit outs to advantage. 13 Hit outs to advantage to 9. Meek more efficient when he wins the tap but just didn't win enough.

I think Sam has done a great job with Finn in the forward line because of his capacity to run all day. His ability to run hard both ways is going to be a key for the team going forward. This is the thing that gives leading teams like Geelong an edge. I think he has a very good future ahead of him. He has an essential attribute for the modern game.

I think Sam has done a great job with Finn in the forward line because of his capacity to run all day. His ability to run hard both ways is going to be a key for the team going forward. This is the thing that gives leading teams like Geelong an edge. I think he has a very good future ahead of him. He has an essential attribute for the modern game.

Hard working, durable and coachable players are a big reason why Geelong are able to stay on top. They are very well structured.

Father and sons + getting access to good free agents/young kids nominating you goes a long way too.

Did anyone see the kick that Finn pulled off to a running Gunners over the back and ended with Moore kicking a goal from the goal square with about 6:30 left in the third quarter? That was the same kick that Finn had in round one against the Bombers that he wasn't able to hit and copped grief from fans about. Love that he backed himself and was able to pull it off. Great for his confidence.

While it helps that Norf were deplorable and would probably get beat by a handful of VFL sides at times - bottle that second quarter and add some polish and it would be very enjoyable watching that on a weekly basis.
hey arnold nicksplat GIF

Anyone know where we can find some polish - think about how great we could be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back