2nds The Adelaide Crows Reserves - sponsored by Bendigo Bank

Remove this Banner Ad

We have enough experience within the club to help the youngsters out I imagine. Van belo, Thompson, Pods etc. Callinan offers the leadership on game day. Port and Gc are regarded as some of the youngest squads going around whilst the Bulldogs just lost significant amounts experience and therefore re-rookied Goodes. The Crows are not going to recruit players just for the sake to provide leadership in our reserves team. The purpose of the reserve team is to develop the players in order to hopefully play AFL
Ports agenda is to win the SANFL premiership with "marquee rookies".

Very different situations, Dogs have very few senior players around so grabbing Goodes for a leadership role in the seconds wasn't the worst move for them.

We however didn't need to do so which is why we didn't.

My stance wasn't about having club depth in the reserves but about the player freedom of choice to play for whom every they wanted.

That choice was removed.

My stance wasn't about having club depth in the reserves but about the player freedom of choice to play for whom every they wanted.

That choice was removed.
I would have preferred it if they had set some rule that would allow some AFC (and Power) players to end their careers at SANFL level if they played above a certain amount of games or spent enough years on our list for example. Personally as someone who doesn't come from an SANFL supporting background it would be nice to see some of our favourites go around a bit longer and would give me more reason to follow the SANFL.

It's interesting to see that a few clubs have been drafting older/experienced players to their rookie list...seemingly to help the younger players develop. Bulldogs with Brett Goodes, Port with Logan and Krakouer...even Gold Coast who are laden with young talls going for Keegan Brooksby for that bit of support in their NEAFL team. We could have rookie listed Porps for the same purpose (and therefore get around the leadership player rule) but it's obviously not a priority for the club. I guess they have to be a real option in the case of injuries to the main list.
GC took Tyrone Downie too. 26 years old who'd been a player/coach in the Bendigo football league. Don't think he'll ever play, but he's another senior guy they can put in their NEAFL team.

Like it or not the Crows are not an SANFL they are a Reserves team and should be treated as such. In actual fact it of the benefit of the Crows he is at West. Firstly, he doesnt take a key midfield forward role away from a young player. Secondly a young player has t play on him and learn a few tricks of the trade. Its worked out much better for Adelaide.

He wouldn't be taking a spot away from a young crow, he would be taking a spot from an amateur country league player.

He wouldn't be taking a spot away from a young crow, he would be taking a spot from an amateur country league player.

45 on the list. Callinan is 46, Jason 47.
Only 22 play AFL and 21 SANFL. = 43

We would have to have 4 out before a country player is playing

Have our top up players been announced?

Apparently we have one kid who looks the goods already. Indigenous, plenty of pace & skill, has played at Gepps Cross or somewhere like that. Forget his name
The top of players had a practice match against Golden Grove at AAMI earlier in the week. Mate did mention that bloke you mentioned. Top up players won by 20 odd goals or something.

The top of players had a practice match against Golden Grove at AAMI earlier in the week. Mate did mention that bloke you mentioned. Top up players won by 20 odd goals or something.
Just read there's a Johncock and a Betts relative in the top up squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have our top up players been announced?

Apparently we have one kid who looks the goods already. Indigenous, plenty of pace & skill, has played at Gepps Cross or somewhere like that. Forget his name
Josh Wittwer is the guy I heard about.

Now, I'm not going to say anything over the top like he's going to win a Brownlow one day or anything... but he probably will.

Last edited:
Josh Wittwer is the guy I heard about.

Now, I'm not going to say anything over the top like he's going to win a Brownlow one day or anything... but he probably will.

Played 50 odd reserves games for CDFC. The Brownlow might be beyond him.

*********Game Changed*******

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-02-04/sanfl-trial-confirmed

Adelaide’s State League team will play its first SANFL trial game against the Port Adelaide Magpies at Alberton Oval on Saturday, March 21.

The game was orginally planned as a curtain-raiser to the Crows’ final NAB Challenge match against the Power later that afternoon at AAMI Stadium.

The State League trial now has a confirmed start time of 11.30am, allowing time for supporters to travel to West Lakes for the 3.40pm NAB Challenge game.

Fans will receive free entry to the SANFL trial.

The SANFL Crows will then line up for a second trial against West Adelaide at Richmond Oval on Saturday morning, April 4 a week out from the side’s season-opener against North Adelaide at Prospect.

So game changed but no explanation as to why?
Is this another 'lets help out Port by letting them raise some funds at the ground?'
Or is it a "the Crows don't get home games, AAMI is their home, hence we want it moved" Port move.

Either way, had it been at AAMI I probably would have popped along to have a look at the second half. Now I can't be arsed so will just go to the AFL trial instead.

So game changed but no explanation as to why?
Is this another 'lets help out Port by letting them raise some funds at the ground?'
Or is it a "the Crows don't get home games, AAMI is their home, hence we want it moved" Port move.

Don't know but it is disappointing.

Either way, had it been at AAMI I probably would have popped along to have a look at the second half. Now I can't be arsed so will just go to the AFL trial instead.

Agree. Would have done the same but for the entire game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back