VFL VFL R9 Sandringham v Port (away)

Remove this Banner Ad

I see that Wright was in the best players again. I really hope he gets another chance before too long because he has some elite attributes. If he can master the art of kicking accurately at full pace he could be a seriously good footballer. He has a decent hoof, kicking 55 metres when not sprinting flat out, so it's not as if he can't kick long (and accurately) when he steadies. His problem is the 20~40m passes at high speed that he tends to spray. I think it is an aspect of his game that he can rectify with hard work and practice on the track. If he can, we could have a "best 22" player with elite speed and pure controlled aggression who could be very handy in the coming years.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...-thriller-20150613-ghnabp.html?skin=text-only

It was only the Borough's 12th loss at its home fortress under the reins of Gary Ayres as coach since he took over the mantle in 2008. Certainly for Hudson, a former Hawthorn premiership teammate of Ayres, it was his best win at the helm.

With the Borough leading by five points at the final change, it was goal-for-goal early in the final term.

On the back of four consecutive Sandringham behinds - remembering that inaccuracy had hurt the Zebras in past losses this season - finally, at the 29 minute mark, the Zebras landed the matchwinning blow through Brown.

Sandringham get to sing the song after the game today...
Thanks Dave.
Look forward to your photos after the games. Gives an extra insight into the play.

It seems that with Sandy's club song, the jumpers and our booming left-footer stocks we really are seeking to emulate Hawthorn's onfield successes.

Brilliant as always, Dave. Personally loved this one
h4a705dc7

null.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=398

Some notable comments:

Hugh Goddard started forward and it proved to be a masterstroke.

Eli Templeton dribbled through a freakish goal from the tightest of angles just as Port had regained the lead.

Adam Cockie was at the forefront of the momentum shift, collecting seven disposals in the quarter, as well as laying nine tackles for the half.

It was a final term for the ages, as Port Melbourne maintained their two goal buffer in the early stages.

Holding on for dear life, Port Melbourne was awarded free kicks in dangerous areas at critical stages of the contest – including a number of 50 metre penalties.

28 minutes gone and defending the slimmest of leads, Clint Jones was able to spot up Mitch Brown all alone inside 50. He would waltz into goal and give Sandringham a vital seven point margin. Eli Templeton put the icing on the cake to ensure a famous victory.

Adam Cockie (27 disposals, 15 tackles), Clint Jones (31 disposals, 9 tackles) and Mitch Brown (27 disposals, 8 marks) were all significant.

Paddy McCartin and Ahmed Saad led the way with three each, while Hugh Goddard caught Port Melbourne off guard to kick two goals. In defence, Elliot Le Grice was key on a number of occasions and Nathan Wright gave the Zebras plenty of rebound.

Stick that in your pipe maggots!!!! Cost us at least 5 goals but we prevail 16.14 (110) to 16.7 (103).

Lifelong Saints man. Followed this forum while living overseas years back. Now living away from Melbourne again so I struggle to get my Saints and Zebs fix.

The main reason I decided to finally join after years of reading along is to say thank you for your reports Squizz. With where we are out in the build, reading reports from Sandy can really help us long suffering fans see a clear light at the end of the tunnel. We can find stats online but that is no substitute for hearing the passion of a true fans.

That and I got on the Zebs at $21 for the flag a while back. Please keep up the great work!

Lifelong Saints man. Followed this forum while living overseas years back. Now living away from Melbourne again so I struggle to get my Saints and Zebs fix.

The main reason I decided to finally join after years of reading along is to say thank you for your reports Squizz. With where we are out in the build, reading reports from Sandy can really help us long suffering fans see a clear light at the end of the tunnel. We can find stats online but that is no substitute for hearing the passion of a true fans.

That and I got on the Zebs at $21 for the flag a while back. Please keep up the great work!
Awesome choice of name. If you've taken years to come up with a name, that's totally worth it.

Not a crazy amount of extra info on grimlock's stats, but Saad with 3 score assists to go with 3.3 (and 11 contested possessions and 8 tackles). Sippa and Eli with a couple of score assists each.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-06-15/vfl-stats-round-9

Goddard's stats just don't do him justice, even if he struggled in the second half fitness-wise. Should have had 2 score assists (but Saad didn't make the distance from 35 on the boundary), and could have kicked 4 goals instead of 2.3.

Hogan had just 5 disposals at half time but he was the man that kept Melbourne in it in the first half. Key position players are just so valuable. Sounds like Goddard had a similar game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back