VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

He needs a run in the 2's but I still see Philipou as a midfielder who is stuck in a crap role. It's not a surprise to see that he got his most disposals against Richmond where he was in the centre bounces for half of the game.

Half forward is arguably the hardest position to play in the AFL, and it feels even harder to play in Ross' current game plan. Gresh languished in it last year floating between the midfield and a permanant forward and is now thriving in a permanant forward role. Not shocked that a 2nd year player is also suffering.

Just give him a run as a full time mid at Sandy, let him find the ball and build his confidence back up. Both he and the team are actively worse off with his current situation

He needs a run in the 2's but I still see Philipou as a midfielder who is stuck in a crap role. It's not a surprise to see that he got his most disposals against Richmond where he was in the centre bounces for half of the game.

Half forward is arguably the hardest position to play in the AFL, and it feels even harder to play in Ross' current game plan. Gresh languished in it last year floating between the midfield and a permanant forward and is now thriving in a permanant forward role. Not shocked that a 2nd year player is also suffering.

Just give him a run as a full time mid at Sandy, let him find the ball and build his confidence back up. Both he and the team are actively worse off with his current situation
We gave Pou a good crack in the middle over the first few weeks of the year and he couldn't get near it. He doesn't seem to have the nous yet to win the ball in traffic and often dishes off pointless handballs in close.

We gave Pou a good crack in the middle over the first few weeks of the year and he couldn't get near it. He doesn't seem to have the nous yet to win the ball in traffic and often dishes off pointless handballs in close.
I'm not advocating for him to be ahead of our current midfield setup, he has barely performed this year and needs to earn that chance. I just see him as a permanent midfielder long term and think he deserves to be given the opportunity to perform in a role that isn't going to limit him, which right now is at VFL level.

B44
I'm not advocating for him to be ahead of our current midfield setup, he has barely performed this year and needs to earn that chance. I just see him as a permanent midfielder long term and think he deserves to be given the opportunity to perform in a role that isn't going to limit him, which right now is at VFL level.
Some of those handballs in close have led to goals

Is there any confirmation on what Clark's injury status is ?
I went and had a look at this game and was close to the bench while he was being assessed. My best guess is a medial or lateral ligament strain of the knee. If they suspected an ACL, then they would not have strapped him up, to see if he could continue.

Whatever the ability of the rest of the team to deliver the ball into our forward line, as selected for all season we have had:
  • Too many marking targets (Higgins often also plays as a small marketing target)
  • Too many forwards who cannot exert pressure

It is out of balance. It is too mark centric as you have indicated. Richmond won three flags with chaos balls into their forward line. With all marking forwards that would have failed.

That Pou and Owens are both out of form has only made things worse.

Hayes back in after a long time out was easily better than booth of them.

Now injuries, and suspensions, have limited what our selectors could do. But with good players now returning they now have more options including Henry back next game.

I am all for playing youth, but it makes no sense to have some who are not dropped when others could benefit from having a run.

Windhager has been in and out of the seniors. Has that hurt his game? I just do not understand the logic that Pou must stay in at all times. He should have been dropped last season when his formed dipped. he should be dropped now that we have options.

Young players going in and out of the team is normal.
Windy went to sandy and dominated for weeks. Racking up 25-30+ touches and goals and feeling what it feels like to be the main man before coming back to senior level fully formed.

I believe they just want to take a different approach with Pou and Owens, leave them there until they learn the pace of it

What a strange question you pose.
I don't think so. I have thought about it a few times.
Trying to make use of his talent.
The Wakelins were talented all-round utility talls who, like many a talented youngster, find that they get a gig as a role player. For them it ended up as full-backs in a pre-200cm giant forward era. Times have changed. Shane finished his career as a capable third tall marking defender.

It seems Sharman has, the hands, the leap to be quite servicable in the backline, and let's face it, although there is no glamour to it, he ends up being put in the backline everytime, sometimes before even the main break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back