Analysis Unpopular North Board (Football) Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think that it's an outrageous thing to say that until Jack improves his consistency and output he shouldn't be captain, but if he does do so in the next year-18 months then he's the next obvious choice. Things can change, they don't just stay as they are at this point in time.

What if the club believes making Jack captain would help him take his game to the next level?

Slow and cumbersome. Once it hits the ground he is next to useless. Was clearly found out in the finals series last year and exploited by teams on the rebound
Fair enough , I hope you're wrong..... I think he is very important for the club going forward, especially when we all know that big lads take time. Drew and Waite expiry dates are closing in on 2017 at best. I think Brown slots right in perfectly for us especially when power forwards aren't in an abundance at the moment. When the majority of our midfield are about to peak.

Fair enough , I hope you're wrong..... I think he is very important for the club going forward, especially when we all know that big lads take time. Drew and Waite expiry dates are closing in on 2017 at best. I think Brown slots right in perfectly for us especially when power forwards aren't in an abundance at the moment. When the majority of our midfield are about to peak.

Geez we are so harsh here on under 50 game players arent we ...another example of 15 years of writing inexperienced off...

I am with you oz.

He will come to be a key player.

Have a look what happens to teams (Richmond) when their captain gets sub 20 disposals in big games...

The difference between jacks worst and jacks best is too great for him to be skipper in my eyes. 11 times he had sub 20 disposals last year. You can't lead from the front if you aren't getting the pill.

He still has a lot of development to go on field before he becomes a genuine game breaker. I want him to reach that level before he takes on the extra responsibility of captain.

Getting heaps of the ball doesn't make you a great captain.

Nick Maxwell, despite my sheer indifference to him as a player, has proven that.

Yeah i have to agree with u there.

Interesting discussion tell me Fish Sticks do u have to be an Elite player to be Captain?
Do u have to have the best foot skills to be Captain?
Personally i don't think u do and i think the time is Now for J.Z to be Captain.
More of J.Z is what this team needs.

Who knows it might be just what he needs to go up another level and maybe the team will follow...
Don't think you have to be elite to be captain. I think you need to be elite with your attack on the ball, hence why Cotchin & Murphy are much maligned. Nothing inspires a team more than a tough or couragous act.
JZ is not our best player (I have always thought him to be a little overrated in the past - had a great 2015 IMO) but many recent premiership captains have not been the team's best player.
I think JZ will relish the responsibility & hopefully take his game to the next level.
His disposal isn't that bad, I think it's actually a lot better than our current captain's... His problem is he doesn't have the poise to find a target in contested situations.
His goalkicking is excellent. He has kicked some big goals for us late in games recently, important games!
If that is not captain material, I don't know what is...

Getting heaps of the ball doesn't make you a great captain.

Nick Maxwell, despite my sheer indifference to him as a player, has proven that.

I also don't subscribe to the theory you have to be a great player to be a great captain. Ling another example.

But I continue to see no reason (and yes I don't see off field etc) why we should change Captains now, especially as it appears Swallow is doing a great job

He has lifted in big games and led us more than adequately IMO.

I also don't subscribe to the theory you have to be a great player to be a great captain. Ling another example.

But I continue to see no reason (and yes I don't see off field etc) why we should change Captains now, especially as it appears Swallow is doing a great job

He has lifted in big games and led us more than adequately IMO.

For me, I want a captain who wins games off his own boot.

Jack has proven this.

For me, I want a captain who wins games off his own boot.

Jack has proven this.

Jack has. He is very damaging when 'on' (which isn't often enough).

Swallow though has stood up more in big games, and goes just as hard as Jack does. That is underestimated by far too many, and for mine not appreciated enough by his supporter base.

Jack has. He is very damaging when 'on' (which isn't often enough).

Swallow though has stood up more in big games, and goes just as hard as Jack does. That is underestimated by far too many, and for mine not appreciated enough by his supporter base.

Swallow is a better player at this stage, but his "I hope" mentality is holding us back IMO.

Plus his disposal and lack of hurt factor, lack of penetration in his kicking is just glaring. Loves his attack on the ball and ability to get in and under but yeah time for some genuine killer instinct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swallow is a better player at this stage, but his "I hope" mentality is holding us back IMO.

Plus his disposal and lack of hurt factor, lack of penetration in his kicking is just glaring. Loves his attack on the ball and ability to get in and under but yeah time for some genuine killer instinct.

Yes Swallows disposal seriously lacks penetration. So? Ling had poor skills AFL wise and it seemed to work for the Cats. It's the best person and leader who should be Captain, on field deeds are just one component.

Point being I like Jack. He may well deserve and be Captain one day, in fact it's likely. That day is not now IMO and again, I will disappointed if we change our leadership as I believe Swallow deserves to keep his role off exposed evidence that we as supporters see.

Last edited:
After re-reading the leadership thread led me here.

I'm not sure which is worse, Jack being so overrated or Swallow being so underrated regarding output and leadership. The Jack fascination by supporters is way over the top for mine.

Jack may well get the Capt one day. That's fine, he is very courageous and appears well respected hence his VC. What's the hurry though? Is Swallow retiring soon? I'd hope not.

I'm honestly baffled as to why anyone would want to change the Captaincy at this stage after two prelim finishes. If Swallow was appearing to still do a good job but we were bottom 4 sure, lets just shake it up in the hope of turning things around but it's not the case.
I endorse this position.

This post is so wrong on so many levels I do not know where to begin.

I'm not completely sold on Brown yet but he has done some pretty good things. That goal LtK linked to above v Brisbane (BB does it all) showed he has the ability to do amazing things with a loose ball when he gets the chance.

I think Brown has yet to cement himself as a senior AFL player but he is not far off. I think this year will be the one where we find out how good he can really be. A bit of strength and mongrel on top of what he has now and he could be worth 5 goals a game regularly.

I wouldn't mind it if we phased out the land of the giants in the forward line. I think having some hard bastards in Turner and Garner would also allow us the ability to throw Ziebell and Cunnington forward more often without detracting from some defensive pressure.

I wouldn't mind it if we phased out the land of the giants in the forward line. I think having some hard bastards in Turner and Garner would also allow us the ability to throw Ziebell and Cunnington forward more often without detracting from some defensive pressure.

We might just see this next year

We might just see this next year
I'm hoping we see it begin in 2016 rather than 2017. We have a pretty deep list and think if we are good enough, we can afford more player rotations throughout the year. Resting older heads like Drew and Waite could give us some unpredictability whilst getting some game time into some of the guys who have been knocking on the door for the last year or so.

so has Swallow too though. Was it the Adelaide game last year when he was just sensational in the last few minutes ?

Im happy we have 2 fine candidates ..happy with either really

2014. The same game where Jack kicked 4.5 and ended Luke Thompson's AFL career.

Hi, Rooboys Rool here - long time reader, first time poster.

My potentially unpopular opinion is that even if Daw and Black play all year in the VFL we should keep them on the list in 2017. Reason being is that key position players take so long to develop that we will need them to fill the gap between Petrie/Waite and McKay/Durdin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back