Scape Goat The Official whipping boy historical society of the Melbourne Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Hands down for me big Al Nicholson and Jamie Shanahan... Both leaked goals, made poor decisions and horrendous kicking actions that lead to turn overs... Gave me a lotta memories, non of them great!!! :p

30 it was!

This could go on for pages too, we've certainly had enough whipping boys over the last 20 years!
Like you said, we can discuss them all but as for whipping boys It it really comes back to the board and who's been under the microscope.

Like you said, we can discuss them all but as for whipping boys It it really comes back to the board and who's been under the microscope.

True. Michael Clark was a legit one though from way back in 2002. There was one girl (yes, believe it or not, girls posted here 10 years ago!) who thought he was a gun and everybody railed on him until he was delisted. Good times.

Brent Grgic.

The only good thing I can recall Grgic doing was kicking a right-foot (?) checkside goal in the 2000 prelim against the Roos.

Of course, he was dead in front of goal and kicked the checkside because he didn't have a left foot....

Queen Anne herself (Matty Bate) got a fair crack of the whip, I think Rohan Bail may take the reigns, only because he has some talent, but doesn't know his limitations. Also, I'll just leave this here:
192968an.jpg
image65

So no more Bate, Bennell, or Morton. Sad day for the whippers.

I say Spencil takes the mantle and runs (lumbers) with it

EDIT: CFH is right. My bad

Anyone old enough would agree that Greg Healey was a regular whipping boy.Could never understand it myself, maybe we could never forgive his brother so we took it out on him!
Agree, I always liked him

Nicholson & Godfrey for me

Daniel Ward used to be mine. To be a whipping boy, the player has to have a fair bit of talent and be at least semi-regularly in the team, but prone to at least the occasional howler. Young Daniel could produce great games (see v Brisbane at the Gabba in 2002) but could also have absolute shockers. He wasn't the most accountable defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve Stretch got a constant whipping after his short steps in the 88 Grand Final. He still has nightmares ...visions of Dipper running towards him.Pathetic.

Only thing similar I have seen was Davey jumping out of the way one year, so as to avoid contact. And we pay him 400 k a year to jump out of the way.

Hands down for me big Al Nicholson and Jamie Shanahan... Both leaked goals, made poor decisions and horrendous kicking actions that lead to turn overs... Gave me a lotta memories, non of them great!!! :p

Oh god. I remember driving home from a game in Geelong once and cursing the entire way home over Nicholson. He was such a liability.

Serious question- was Alistair Nicholson the worst key position player to get a game every week in the history of sport?
We gave the really s**t Gasper brother a good run one year. Damien? Anywho he made David C-C look competent.

I think you'll find the thread was for the whipping boys that have been on the Melbourne board over the years but, hey, don't let facts get in the way of your own personal opinion. :thumbsu:

I think you'll find the thread was for the whipping boys that have been on the Melbourne board over the years but, hey, don't let facts get in the way of your own personal opinion. :thumbsu:
Ease up mate, its a bit of fun.

Since reading this board I would say Morton is king, and with good reason. As someone else pointed out in the Morton thread, the worst part of a truly awful football team. Juice (RIP) fell into the "so bad its good" category, not many players miss from the goal square, a rare ability. In terms of providing laughs, I miss him. Biff wasn't alone on Jones either, he copped plenty from lots of posters. The strangest one for me would have to be Rivers. Although he didn't cop as much as some others, he was always listed in peoples "outs" for the following week despite nearly always playing well.

I have changed the title as we are looking for those who were whipped mercilessly & incessantly (at times of through their career) by this board.

Some good additions so far:
TJ
Juice
Morton
Davey
Jones

I think this needs to be like the HOF, you have those in legend status (Morton, Johnstone, Davey, Juice) & the hall of fame additions like Jones, Bate ect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back