Toast The New Carlton Thread: 5 wooden spoons this century (next worst is 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

My barber is a typical stirring fairweather Carlton supporter who really doesn’t study the game.
Yesterday I called to make two bookings at his shop; one for Nick Daicos the other for Scott Pendlebury.

If anyone wants his number, DM me.

‘Can you smell what we’re cooking’, ‘don’t they know that we’re coming’, ‘our green shoots need mowing’, ‘paper bags are worth good money’, ‘a decade with out finals were so good’, ‘Vossys heroes’, ‘another spoon for the wall’ are among my favourite catchy memories of themes they’ve done.

Last Friday was one of the really enjoyable Collingwood v Carlton games in my memory.

Nothing will ever top the 'Grim Reaper's game in 2022 but as I fell asleep Friday night I got thinking about my favourite games vs the Blues.

One that always stood out to me was R14 1988 at the MCG. Carlton were reigning Premiers and we were a young side on the up. In those days Carlton had the wood on us and there was always trepidation leading into these games. I was quite young at the time, maybe my first season of going to the footy with my friend. My main memories were Silvagni taking one of the greatest marks of all time- I'd never seen anything like it! The game being close all day and Carlton dominating the first half of the last Q, taking the lead and looking like rolling over the top of us...again.
But then in the space of about 7 mins Starcevich kicked 3 goals and Banks the final goal as the Pies ran riot in one of the most enjoyable finishes I'd ever experienced. Coll 110 d Car 87
Best: McGuane, Daicos, Elshaugh, Brown & Starcevich 4 goals.

As young lad, Carlton had represented heartbreak and disappointment. This was the first signs of a new dawn.

Would love to hear the favourite v Carlton memories of others.

The 2 h&a games of 1981.

At PP some bloke named daicos kicked a bag. Had it won all day.

At VP 1st half was an arm wrestle. 2nd half it opened up. A tense final few mins saw us hang on by a point.

And the early 90s games at Waverley. Of note when dorotich kicked the ground instead of the ball.....twice.

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 18 2002.
Bucks BOG.
Pies won by 108 points.

Best Monday morning at work ever.
I was in the Corporate Box that night, with a heap of Carlton supporters, having arrived there with a fair few under our belt.

At one stage, Collingwood's score was in triple figures, whilst Carlton were in single figures.

Glorious.

I was in the Corporate Box that night, with a heap of Carlton supporters, having arrived there with a fair few under our belt.

At one stage, Collingwood's score was in triple figures, whilst Carlton were in single figures.

Glorious.
That sounds like fun.

And even better, it’s poor form to leave a corporate box early - even if your team is getting smashed - so you have to sit there and take it. Pretending you’re not dying inside.

Last Friday was one of the really enjoyable Collingwood v Carlton games in my memory.

Nothing will ever top the 'Grim Reaper's game in 2022 but as I fell asleep Friday night I got thinking about my favourite games vs the Blues.

One that always stood out to me was R14 1988 at the MCG. Carlton were reigning Premiers and we were a young side on the up. In those days Carlton had the wood on us and there was always trepidation leading into these games. I was quite young at the time, maybe my first season of going to the footy with my friend. My main memories were Silvagni taking one of the greatest marks of all time- I'd never seen anything like it! The game being close all day and Carlton dominating the first half of the last Q, taking the lead and looking like rolling over the top of us...again.
But then in the space of about 7 mins Starcevich kicked 3 goals and Banks the final goal as the Pies ran riot in one of the most enjoyable finishes I'd ever experienced. Coll 110 d Car 87
Best: McGuane, Daicos, Elshaugh, Brown & Starcevich 4 goals.

As young lad, Carlton had represented heartbreak and disappointment. This was the first signs of a new dawn.

Would love to hear the favourite v Carlton memories of others.
I was there that day. It was an electric atmosphere, especially in those last ten minutes when Starcevich snagged a couple and Banksy marked in the square to kick the sealer.

One of my all time favourite memories was our twelve goal third term at Princes Park against the reigning Premiers in 1969,

Sadly, this is all I could find on you tube from that unforgettable game. Johnny Greening kicked 7 and I was a 10 year old who had pushed through the tightly packed crowd and had a view of just a portion of the ground. But I saw one of Greening's snaps and the atmosphere was intoxicating. This was the day I really felt I belonged to the Collingwood tribe because as we left the ground a drunk Collingwood man ruffled my hair and said "Carn' the Pies!" I felt so happy. I've never forgotten it.

You're lucky - not probably - for sure :(
Top 4 at end of home and away

View attachment 1979326

We beat Carlton x 2 in home and away plus in 2nd semi eg - 2 time we played them in home and away

View attachment 1979329

Peter McKenna kicked 143 goals

Sigh - scars will heal when we beat Carlton in a GF
I was a thirteen year old listening on a car radio, crying at the end. I don’t need to be reminded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back