Roast The Melbourne Board NAPALM thread (hosted by Topkent)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rance is still a bad decision maker and poor kick of the footy on occasion - there's a reason big, strong blokes like Rance and McDonald who can mark aren't forwards... their skills.
And he's a bit of a sook. Faked serious injury after winning a free by ducking into Brayshaw when we played them, then sent the trainers straight off after clutching his neck in agony. Later clobbered Watts from behind because he was pissed off losing a marking contest. Then against Essendon he lost a contest against Daniher landing on hands and knees, remained there for a good 5 seconds to watch whether Daniher kicked the goal - only then did he remember to slump, clutching his shins in agony. Trainers come out, he sends them away. The guy makes a display every time he is beaten. Do not like him at all. He can sell the watchtower elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

The games we are pumping into jr mc says more about Garland and Dunn than anything else.

Over the years they would of have been one of the first players picked regardless of their form. Fast forward to 2016 and both of them should be banging down the door to play AFL again but their not.

Been a while since this thread was used but I'm passionate about this

A blanket punch rule is stupid, so even the slightest love tap should be a ban? Please
The media leaches onto any minscule issue and blows it so out of proportion that the AFL feels the need to be social leaders in everything and will come out against it.

What a joke.

If people are worried about the image of the game then anyone who breaks a nose can't play the rest of the game, anyone who hurts a shoulder can't play the rest of the game, anyone who's hurt can't play the rest of the game
Last thing we want is young people ruining their body's because they follow their heroes..

Who cares about the ******* image, is AFL an entertainment product or is it the rules of society masked in sport?

An AFL field is the safest it's ever been, last year you had Bontempelli standing in the face of Mumford shoving him because he knows how safe he is.. would never do that at the pub.

Every year the product is being more and more sanitized. Eventually you will have a bunch of players who run around with no real care for the result because they aren't allowed to express an sort of frustration or anger.

There's been like 5 or so punches to the guts out of 100 odd games, barely even noticeable unless you make it the front page of every paper and news story

I see it less as an attempt at social engineering and more an attempt at getting rid of an unnecessary and ugly aspect of a fair contest and game.

Contact in the contest is a part of footy and although to some it feels like the game is getting softer, I've personally never seen players running faster and harder in to get the ball. The reason I watch footy is for the game itself, not to see people throwing dinky punches. You can go watch boxing if you want to see people hitting each other as the main contest.

Good move from the AFL in my opinion.

I see it less as an attempt at social engineering and more an attempt at getting rid of an unnecessary and ugly aspect of a fair contest and game.

Contact in the contest is a part of footy and although to some it feels like the game is getting softer, I've personally never seen players running faster and harder in to get the ball. The reason I watch footy is for the game itself, not to see people throwing dinky punches. You can go watch boxing if you want to see people hitting each other as the main contest.

I find it entertaining as do many people. I like the physicality and I feel more invested in a neutral game when there's feeling in it. When there isn't any of that stuff I can't watch neutral games anymore they are boring as hell. One team pressing while the other team slingshots over the back then vice versa

When we came out niggling in the second quarter it was as entertaining a quarter of footy as I've seen in years. Used to be a staple of footy. Now it's super rare an yet people still wanna complain about it?

The last hard punch to a head was Barry hall. It's never been a less violent game

I've personally never seen players running faster and harder in to get the ball.

That's sort of true, but I've never seen players run harder into a contest and then pulling out or trying to shimmy out of contact for fear of giving away a free or hitting someone high and getting some time off. This peculiar dance has become something of a regular feature.

In the past I didn't mind it because I didn't think it had much of an effect on the overall game. These days players often seem to be more concerned with the 'niggle' than they are with getting the ball. We have plenty of players guilty of this. I'm not one to get high and mighty about how its corrupting our youth or any other moral statements. I'm more concerned that at this point its starting to take away from the spectacle of the sport. You'll have some fast paced exciting footy happening, and then all the players start getting in a brawl (or really they just get in a big group and grab each others jumpers). Or you will see a good contest and some dickhead will throw a cheapshot in and take a player out of the game for 5 minutes (which is little more than cheating).

The part I don't understand about the current conversation though is that the media only seem to be blasting the AFL and the MRP about it. What about those guys who can do something about it on game day. Where on earth are the umpires when these hits get thrown. There have been so many in plain view of the umpires where no free is paid. If the umpires just picked up the most minuscule free out of any 'brawl' or jumper punch players would stop doing it.

In the past I didn't mind it because I didn't think it had much of an effect on the overall game. These days players often seem to be more concerned with the 'niggle' than they are with getting the ball. We have plenty of players guilty of this. I'm not one to get high and mighty about how its corrupting our youth or any other moral statements. I'm more concerned that at this point its starting to take away from the spectacle of the sport. You'll have some fast paced exciting footy happening, and then all the players start getting in a brawl (or really they just get in a big group and grab each others jumpers). Or you will see a good contest and some dickhead will throw a cheapshot in and take a player out of the game for 5 minutes (which is little more than cheating).

The part I don't understand about the current conversation though is that the media only seem to be blasting the AFL and the MRP about it. What about those guys who can do something about it on game day. Where on earth are the umpires when these hits get thrown. There have been so many in plain view of the umpires where no free is paid. If the umpires just picked up the most minuscule free out of any 'brawl' or jumper punch players would stop doing it.
From memory that's what Richardson and Scott have said on 360. If umpires properly paid a free for punches the coaches would be pretty quick in getting their players to cut it out.

I think there is an issue as there ismt any ability for retribution. so the whack they would usually get needs to come in the form of free kicks

Yeah pretty simple. Reverse the free when Cunnington punches Bern and that would be the last punch of the game. I love it when the umpires don't pay it for the hilarity of breathing on someone from front on is a free kick but you can punch a bloke and its play on

It's all bombast anyway. A rule wasn't actually changed and I doubt it will have a major impact. The second quarter v. North was the most fun I had watching a quarter all season and - Cunnington gut punch/Salem elbow aside - it was all deemed legal.

I'm hungover :( somebody please kill me

Ow
I feel ya pain PG

Hungover waiting for my car to get Fixed, even through they put a new bloody Motor in it not long ago!

Ill face it, my cars a lemon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all bombast anyway. A rule wasn't actually changed and I doubt it will have a major impact. The second quarter v. North was the most fun I had watching a quarter all season and - Cunnington gut punch/Salem elbow aside - it was all deemed legal.

Some people will argue about the look of the game. Personally I enjoyed the entertainment factor of it. It's why movies have villans you can't always be cheering for the nice guy

Some people will argue about the look of the game. Personally I enjoyed the entertainment factor of it. It's why movies have villans you can't always be cheering for the nice guy
pretty much everyone was nice in Love Actually though. I guess Alan Rickman shouldn't have been flirting with that chick when he was meant to be married to Emma Thompson though so maybe you have a point.

pretty much everyone was nice in Love Actually though. I guess Alan Rickman shouldn't have been flirting with that chick when he was meant to be married to Emma Thompson though so maybe you have a point.
I read something the other day that the writer or director or both ... whatever he/she was, said that the suggestion was that Alan Rickman most certainly did more than just flirt with the receptionist ... which probably changes the the way you look at the character, but at the end of the day, he's ******* Snape!

That was Snape right? Can't imagine him flirting with anyone without sounding evil

Co-captains need to lift this week. I know Jones is just coming back from an injury but he was shithouse against GWS and Viney hasn't done much at all since the 2nd half vs Port. Younger players like Petracca and Salem are tiring too but Oliver desperately needs help in midfield to be any chance of fluking a finals appearance.

Co-captains need to lift this week. I know Jones is just coming back from an injury but he was shithouse against GWS and Viney hasn't done much at all since the 2nd half vs Port. Younger players like Petracca and Salem are tiring too but Oliver desperately needs help in midfield to be any chance of fluking a finals appearance.
I reckon Viney is still struggling with his foot.

Okay, it's time for me to go nuclear.

On our ******* luck.

Seriously. Last year, for the first time in forever we have no injuries.

This year, I honestly feel like it's completely ******* derailed us.

I genuinely feel we lost both the Geelong and Richmond games due to early injuries to players. The Sydney game was a write-off due to injuries. It's also not like we didn't adapt either - we lost Gawn and Spencer and adapted brilliantly, only to lose a heap of players in an entirely different area of the ground. Now we've got no continuity in our best 22 at all and it's ******* well showing.

This club is ******* cursed.

Napalm the MRP committee. Why does Grundy get three down to two, Danger two down to one, and Mumford none for the same tackle? Mumford is a ******* protected species at the tribunal. I just cannot understand it...

Okay, it's time for me to go nuclear.

On our ******* luck.

Seriously. Last year, for the first time in forever we have no injuries.

This year, I honestly feel like it's completely ******* derailed us.

I genuinely feel we lost both the Geelong and Richmond games due to early injuries to players. The Sydney game was a write-off due to injuries. It's also not like we didn't adapt either - we lost Gawn and Spencer and adapted brilliantly, only to lose a heap of players in an entirely different area of the ground. Now we've got no continuity in our best 22 at all and it's ******* well showing.

This club is ******* cursed.

I'd cop this if we didn't lose to north x2, Freo and hawks all due to our own failings rather than injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back