Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (7) released 28/5

Season (1) :
• Noah Long (Knee)

Long Term (2) :
• R18-20 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - 6-8 weeks (Was Post Bye)
• R16-17 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-5 weeks (No change)

Short Term (2) :
• R14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 2 weeks (Was 3 weeks)
• R13-14 Luke Edwards (Concussion) - 1-2 weeks (New)

Test (2) :
• R12-13 Jack Petruccelle (Ankle) - Test (Was 1-2 weeks)
Alex Witherden (Calf) - Test (New)

Callum Jamieson and Harry Barnett have been taken off the injury list after recovering from their respective injuries.

Injury list doesn’t include Tyler Brockman who will be available for the WAFL side but won’t be considered for senior selection until after the bye following a late night car accident in Geraldton

Bazzo’s still 4-5 weeks which is disappointing but at least this time they’ve acknowledged he’s not progressing as they’d like.

If he doesn’t show any improvement by the LTI deadline (which is when, Monday?) I’d be strongly considering pulling the pin on his season and opening up a second MSD spot.

Bazzo’s still 4-5 weeks which is disappointing but at least this time they’ve acknowledged he’s not progressing as they’d like.

If he doesn’t show any improvement by the LTI deadline (which is when, Monday?) I’d be strongly considering pulling the pin on his season and opening up a second MSD spot.

A second MSD pick would be in the mid to high teens in what most people are saying is a shallow pool. Comments from the club about the MSD also indicate they don’t rate it that much

Still plenty of time to get him going and like Hewett taking away the prospect of returning this year would completely trash any motivation to attack rehab

A second MSD pick would be in the mid to high teens in what most people are saying is a shallow pool. Comments from the club about the MSD also indicate they don’t rate it that much

Still plenty of time to get him going and like Hewett taking away the prospect of returning this year would completely trash any motivation to attack rehab

I'd use the second pick on Ruscoe, having taken one of the young prospects with our pick 3 (or wherever).

Bazzo's story this year is note-for-note the same as NicNat, who was 6-7 weeks for months and just couldn't turn the corner, until they finally bit the bullet and decided he needed surgery, about two days after they could have moved him onto the inactive list. I feel like that's where Bazzo's headed as well. His motivation in rehab should be hitting the ground running in 2025, for an example he can look no further than Allen who missed all of 2022 then came out and kicked 50+ goals the following year.

Of course, if Ruscoe doesn't nominate this is all moot and Bazzo can keep trying to get back this year.

I'd use the second pick on Ruscoe, having taken one of the young prospects with our pick 3 (or wherever).

Bazzo's story this year is note-for-note the same as NicNat, who was 6-7 weeks for months and just couldn't turn the corner, until they finally bit the bullet and decided he needed surgery, about two days after they could have moved him onto the inactive list. I feel like that's where Bazzo's headed as well. His motivation in rehab should be hitting the ground running in 2025, for an example he can look no further than Allen who missed all of 2022 then came out and kicked 50+ goals the following year.

Of course, if Ruscoe doesn't nominate this is all moot and Bazzo can keep trying to get back this year.

Already posted about this earlier in the injury thread, but putting Bazzo on the LTI would be a disaster, I’d go as far as call it reckless and irresponsible unless completely necessary.

Not only that, but it also handicaps your list management at the end of the year.

It means you need to cut an extra player to account for the additional 18 month contract you’ve give the mid season rookie.

We are already tight-ish on spots, and the talent just isn’t there.

You think that Ruscoe is lasting to our 2nd pick, which is an absurd proposition.

If Ruscoe was in the MSD it would be 50/50 he would get to our first pick, and 0% chance he’d be there at our second.

Very good Hewett news. In my opinion he was the brightest spot from last year, the roving goal in the pocket, hanger he took, foward soccer crumb goal and the game against saints.

He’s the one player on our list that has the ability to surpass Reid’s natural talent. Confident bordering on arrogant an unleashed Hewett unlocks this team so much

Already posted about this earlier in the injury thread, but putting Bazzo on the LTI would be a disaster, I’d go as far as call it reckless and irresponsible unless completely necessary.

Not only that, but it also handicaps your list management at the end of the year.

It means you need to cut an extra player to account for the additional 18 month contract you’ve give the mid season rookie.

We are already tight-ish on spots, and the talent just isn’t there.

You think that Ruscoe is lasting to our 2nd pick, which is an absurd proposition.

If Ruscoe was in the MSD it would be 50/50 he would get to our first pick, and 0% chance he’d be there at our second.

I agree with your post but will point out that players taken in the MSD are only given 18 month contracts if they stipulate it when nominating

Otherwise it’s a 6 month contract (which actually ends on 31/10)

I agree with your post but will point out that players taken in the MSD are only given 18 month contracts if they stipulate it when nominating

Otherwise it’s a 6 month contract (which actually ends on 31/10)

Yeah, but how many draftees are nominating for 6 months, very few if any I would have thought.

Hewett back running is awesome news, aside from Reid hes the guy I want to watch play the most, early days but I think he could be worthy of our original pick in the 2022 draft before the split. I cant wait for the day we have Reid, Hewett and Ginbey in the same centre bounce. Good times ahead
Have to pinch myself that we have both Hewett and Reid.

I remember watching their respective highlights in their U16 and U17 years thinking we were no chance at either of them.

Then we became shithouse and got both 😍

Yeah, but how many draftees are nominating for 6 months, very few if any I would have thought.

Of the 13 players taken last year in the MSD only 3 had nominated 18 month contracts - Maric, Hansen and Tucker who were the first three taken

Generally it’s those who are confident they’ll get picked up that request 18 months. If you’re a fringe selection nominating 18 months could be the difference between being selected or not so most leave it at 6 months

And people need to remember, getting them (Hewett bazzo) fit to play only the last few games, means they end the season match fit. This ensures they can be given a full off season program in readiness for day one preseason training. Ideal.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good Hewett news. In my opinion he was the brightest spot from last year, the roving goal in the pocket, hanger he took, foward soccer crumb goal and the game against saints.

He’s the one player on our list that has the ability to surpass Reid’s natural talent. Confident bordering on arrogant an unleashed Hewett unlocks this team so much
The missing piece of the three Amigos. Yeo, Reid and Hewett.

Allows the likes of TK to go on a rampage as the 4th stringer.

Ginbey not developing too badly either.

Fantastic to see Hewett running again but I think we’ll have to be patient with his recovery timeline.

Since November last year he’s hardly been doing any running - or when he has started to build his loads, he’s subsequently pulled up sore and had his training wound back.

Just hasn’t had any chance in the last 6 months to complete a consistent block of running and build his fitness to AFL standard.

With that in mind I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him until Round 20/21 or so, but as others have alluded to I’m glad we’re giving him the carrot for him to work towards.

Can imagine how tough it’s been for him just watching us winning some great games and Harley dominating in the middle while he’s stuck rehabbing a persistent foot injury. Fingers crossed his build goes well without any setbacks and we get some footy under his belt later this year

Hewett did running drills alongside Bazzo and Petruccelle.

Brockman trained.

Harley did a neat flick kick, expect it to be on the back page tomorrow.
Hewett looks like he's put some size on, and he wasn't overly small previously. Having powerful midfielders again will be fun.

Hewett looks like he's put some size on, and he wasn't overly small previously. Having powerful midfielders again will be fun.

I thought similar but that size doesn't exactly look lean (understandably so) and he's got a fair bit of work to do to get his conditioning back.

I thought similar but that size doesn't exactly look lean (understandably so) and he's got a fair bit of work to do to get his conditioning back.

Not to mention his endurance is what kept him out of the team early last year.

Give Hewett a couple of games in the WAFL, if he gets his game together, he’d be a good option to be sub and have impact on games with fresh legs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back