Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Underwood is a terrible commentator just like BT in my opinion. The weekend call of the game was no different to the low standard set across the industry.

I wish commentators would just commentate on the game at hand. Rather than try and bamboozle the viewer with useless stats or talk about anything other than the actual game.

Much to the dislike of anyone within earshot, I sometimes do my own commentary… it’s actually a lot of fun, e.g. u can swear at the umps all you want! 😂

Bwahaha. I catch myself doing the same. Suspect my commentary could be considered just a little biased.
:p :D

Underwood is a terrible commentator just like BT in my opinion. The weekend call of the game was no different to the low standard set across the industry.

I wish commentators would just commentate on the game at hand. Rather than try and bamboozle the viewer with useless stats or talk about anything other than the actual game.

Matt Hill in 2 games of calling was easily the best footy commentator we've had for ages. They are all terrible aside from him

Thought he was just ok but if he sorts out the pronunciation of Errol’s surname, I’ll probably like him more 🙃

Just okay is a mile better than the rest lol

I don’t post very much and realise mods have attempted to have this conversation redirected to the appropriate thread - however I think it is important to try and draw a line under the causal sexism that is espoused by some here and elsewhere when it comes to Kelli Underwood. Are we not done with the ‘I have a grandmother, wife, daughter therefore … ’ explainer? Knowing a woman does not mean you are immune from engaging in casual forms of sexism. The fact is that Kelli is the target of much ire - ranging from the extreme and repugnant to more subtle forms - and I’m sorry but it is because she is a woman. There are plenty of terrible male commentators that don’t cop half of what she does. You may say ‘but she’s just not good at her job,’ an opinion you are more than entitled to. However I would just question the vehemence of your pursuit of her. Why her, say, over Luke Darcy or insertnameofformerplayer? Men in this industry are allowed to fail; women on the other hand have to be perfect.

I expect I won’t find many friends here with regards to this - but before anyone gets up in arms - I want to make it clear. Me calling you out for what I perceive to be casual sexism doesn’t mean I’m saying you’re a bad person. I think we simply need to do better when it comes to things like this. In fact I think it is our duty to society, to keep pushing the dial in the right direction. Do we really need to tell everyone how much we hate Kelli Underwood as a commentator? What purpose does it serve? Casual sexism is the soil from which other more insidious forms of discrimination and abuse can grow. We have come along way on this front, but the fact remains, women are still up against it and we need to do better.
My Wife Says Brian Taylor Is a Talentless Buffoon.

Casual Form Of Sexism ?

To all those calling the sexist card, why is it so wrong to say Underwood is a shocking commentator yet perfectly acceptable to say the same about Taylor, Brayshaw etc?
If anyone chooses to look through my posting history, I have been critical of Underwood from day one - her voice, her commentary style, basically everything about her.
She is personally my most disliked commentator, even more so than the other fools.

Oh and by the way for those that don't know, I'm a middle aged female with three daughters and two granddaughters, so if there is ever a time to call sexist I'll call it, all the criticism I've read on this particular forum is NOT sexist, just personal opinions.

To all those calling the sexist card, why is it so wrong to say Underwood is a shocking commentator yet perfectly acceptable to say the same about Taylor, Brayshaw etc?
If anyone chooses to look through my posting history, I have been critical of Underwood from day one - her voice, her commentary style, basically everything about her.
She is personally my most disliked commentator, even more so than the other fools.

Oh and by the way for those that don't know, I'm a middle aged female with three daughters and two granddaughters, so if there is ever a time to call sexist I'll call it, all the criticism I've read on this particular forum is NOT sexist, just personal opinions.

Well said Jewels it is not sexist at all it is the same as calling Glouftsis not competent as a umpire alongside Stevic.

Both are true none is sexist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t post very much and realise mods have attempted to have this conversation redirected to the appropriate thread - however I think it is important to try and draw a line under the causal sexism that is espoused by some here and elsewhere when it comes to Kelli Underwood. Are we not done with the ‘I have a grandmother, wife, daughter therefore … ’ explainer? Knowing a woman does not mean you are immune from engaging in casual forms of sexism. The fact is that Kelli is the target of much ire - ranging from the extreme and repugnant to more subtle forms - and I’m sorry but it is because she is a woman. There are plenty of terrible male commentators that don’t cop half of what she does. You may say ‘but she’s just not good at her job,’ an opinion you are more than entitled to. However I would just question the vehemence of your pursuit of her. Why her, say, over Luke Darcy or insertnameofformerplayer? Men in this industry are allowed to fail; women on the other hand have to be perfect.

I expect I won’t find many friends here with regards to this - but before anyone gets up in arms - I want to make it clear. Me calling you out for what I perceive to be casual sexism doesn’t mean I’m saying you’re a bad person. I think we simply need to do better when it comes to things like this. In fact I think it is our duty to society, to keep pushing the dial in the right direction. Do we really need to tell everyone how much we hate Kelli Underwood as a commentator? What purpose does it serve? Casual sexism is the soil from which other more insidious forms of discrimination and abuse can grow. We have come along way on this front, but the fact remains, women are still up against it and we need to do better.

Yeah, nah.

It's not a female thing at all for me - it's that she adds in irrelevant drivel to her commentary far too often. Throw in a voice that is far less than palatable and you get a commentary s*** sandwich. She is the female BT for mine. The less I hear from the pair of them, the better.

Well said Jewels it is not sexist at all it is the same as calling Glouftsis not competent as a umpire alongside Stevic.

Both are true none is sexist.
C'mon, this is absolute nonsense.

I don't agree with labelling all criticism of Underwood sexist, just as not all booing of Goodes was racist.

But you're absolutely kidding yourself to deny it's a factor for many.

Correct. I'm aware enough to not say 'I'm not racist/sexist', but rather I HOPE I'm not. I may be completely unaware of when I am because it pervades all of society including my own upbringing and education. The real effort is recognising when I am being like that and then taking steps to correct it. My kids were wonderful in drawing it to my attention over the years and I'm hoping I have changed for the better and will continue to do so.

Correct. I'm aware enough to not say 'I'm not racist/sexist', but rather I HOPE I'm not. I may be completely unaware of when I am because it pervades all of society including my own upbringing and education. The real effort is recognising when I am being like that and then taking steps to correct it. My kids were wonderful in drawing it to my attention over the years and I'm hoping I have changed for the better and will continue to do so.
Exactly right. The behaviour vs the person. I too occasionally catch myself and try to halt before opening my trap. Better than I used to be.

Yeah, nah.

It's not a female thing at all for me - it's that she adds in irrelevant drivel to her commentary far too often. Throw in a voice that is far less than palatable and you get a commentary s*** sandwich. She is the female BT for mine. The less I hear from the pair of them, the better.
Like BT the word sensationalist comes to mind.

One of the great posts from one of the great posters.

Well posted mate

Alas, we have developed a societal culture where it is fashionable to take offence and victimhood is (for some) a badge of honour (indeed some, like Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have monetarised & built a career out of it).

The result - genuine racism / sexism and entirely reasonable statements of opinion get mooshed into one big cess-pit, because the hysterical outrage generated is the same for both.

Personally, I’m sick to death of the culture wars. Just be a good person and treat everyone with respect (and that includes respecting diversity of thought) - the DQ utopia.

PS: in: Parker, Gus
out: Mitchell, Armatey

Bwahaha. I catch myself doing the same. Suspect my commentary could be considered just a little biased.
:p :D
Ah but have you ever received a text from your neighbour to check that you are not having your house broken into? Whoops. Thank you G. Rohan v Essendon.

Did anyone read the kelli underwood story before it was shut down about today's game . For years now I've been whinging about her constantly getting swans games. Easily the worst commentator in the afl and even had a petition to remove her. I'd love to know what the story was about and why it was quickly removed. This is not anything to do with her sex as I prefer isa guha in cricket over all other commentators. Kelli is just terrible!
She is just not a good AFL commentator full stop. I know she does other sports, so can’t comment on her capabilities there. A basic is to get the names of players correct consistently, and sound somewhat entertaining. She fails on both fronts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back