Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brilliant. Heeney dishes out a "don't argue" masterclass flooring Harley Reid, then chips a lovely pass to McInerney who drops it, so Heeney cleans that up too.

If we rely too much on Isaac to cover our shortcomings we'll get burned when/if he has an off day (or gets injured). A few of our players need to step up.

Heeney's an exciting player to watch. I'd love to see him win a charlie but we need Gulden and Warner to be taking votes from him.
Rather he wins a Norm

In the AFL era there have been 38 Brownlow Medallists, and only 6 of them have won the premiership in the same year.

Politely, the Brownlow Medal can stay the **** away from our club this year thanks!

Not to mention I think 7 in the AFL era have won the brownlow and been runner up in the grand final .

In the AFL era there have been 38 Brownlow Medallists, and only 6 of them have won the premiership in the same year.

Politely, the Brownlow Medal can stay the **** away from our club this year thanks!
Meant to say As much as I'd love to see him win a charlie, we need Gulden and Warner to be taking votes from him.

How do you know she was uncomfortable because of what Fox said? Have you ever watched Roaming Brian? Literally every second person on it looks uncomfortable!

Just ban him from the rooms.

I have a wife, Daughters, Grand daughters and am at pains to say this is not at all a female thing. I am also at pains to say she is ridiculously bad. Have said that a number of times in different threads and am now continually repeating myself no end. She is in my head now and no TV she appears on will ever again be safe from my size 11 going through it.
I don’t post very much and realise mods have attempted to have this conversation redirected to the appropriate thread - however I think it is important to try and draw a line under the causal sexism that is espoused by some here and elsewhere when it comes to Kelli Underwood. Are we not done with the ‘I have a grandmother, wife, daughter therefore … ’ explainer? Knowing a woman does not mean you are immune from engaging in casual forms of sexism. The fact is that Kelli is the target of much ire - ranging from the extreme and repugnant to more subtle forms - and I’m sorry but it is because she is a woman. There are plenty of terrible male commentators that don’t cop half of what she does. You may say ‘but she’s just not good at her job,’ an opinion you are more than entitled to. However I would just question the vehemence of your pursuit of her. Why her, say, over Luke Darcy or insertnameofformerplayer? Men in this industry are allowed to fail; women on the other hand have to be perfect.

I expect I won’t find many friends here with regards to this - but before anyone gets up in arms - I want to make it clear. Me calling you out for what I perceive to be casual sexism doesn’t mean I’m saying you’re a bad person. I think we simply need to do better when it comes to things like this. In fact I think it is our duty to society, to keep pushing the dial in the right direction. Do we really need to tell everyone how much we hate Kelli Underwood as a commentator? What purpose does it serve? Casual sexism is the soil from which other more insidious forms of discrimination and abuse can grow. We have come along way on this front, but the fact remains, women are still up against it and we need to do better.

You’re not the arbiter of people’s opinion. The woman is terrible at her job and awful to listen to. Why deny peoples opinion? it upsets you? You’re on a personal crusade? Too bad.
You do you, you’re so arrogant as to think you can make people think and say what you want, if you like her great, everyone else thinks she’s garbage, deal with it.
I think there is a mismatch between the tone of your response and that of the post to which you were responding to. Bega Barlow went out of his/her way to not make his/her observations personal. He/she actually showed no arrogance at all in the way he/she stated his/her opinion.

FWIW, while I don't have Underwood in my top echelon of commentators, I don't have her in my bottom handful either. And I suspect that Bega Barlow is objectively correct (ie it could be proved if someone could be bothered to trawl and analyse relevant internet posts) that she does receive far more commentary (mostly negative) on her commentary than other commentators.

I think there is a mismatch between the tone of your response and that of the post to which you were responding to. Bega Barlow went out of his/her way to not make his/her observations personal. He/she actually showed no arrogance at all in the way he/she stated his/her opinion.

FWIW, while I don't have Underwood in my top echelon of commentators, I don't have her in my bottom handful either. And I suspect that Bega Barlow is objectively correct (ie it could be proved if someone could be bothered to trawl and analyse relevant internet posts) that she does receive far more commentary (mostly negative) on her commentary than other commentators.
Good for you, you can like or dislike her all you want.
In my opinion and plenty of others she is dreadful, she is not above criticism which seems to be the stance here, if you criticise here you’re a bigot. When someone gets onto a public board and collectively tells posters “we need to do better”. That is arrogant I’m afraid.

Last edited:
I’m not so arrogant as to assume that I can change someone’s opinion. I don’t seek to do that and I’m certainly not here to censor anyone. I’m merely trying to ask why she cops it more than others. If you feel threatened by that line of questioning then I would simply ask why? We should be able to talk about it at the very least, no?
I think she has a grinding voice that I don't like listening too. It spoils the game for me. I don't like her as a commentator. I reckon she is on a par with Rowbottom's uncle. I can't stand him either. He spoils the game for me too.
I like to watch the footy and hear the players names and some good commentary and fun stuff from the commentary team. But the footy has to be the lasting effect on me not the commentators. Kellie and BT do not deliver a commentary that complements the football but is subservient to the football. If you remember their voice and comments more than the best moments of the game then it is like a good lasagna with barbeque sauce poured all over it. I like lasagna and I like barbecue sauce. I just don't like BT and Kellie poured all over my footy.

Genuinely surprised that in 2024 people haven't discovered the mute button yet.

All the commentators are shit, and you'd learn more about the game if you went outside and took a shit in a public swimming pool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuinely surprised that in 2024 people haven't discovered the mute button yet.

All the commentators are s**t, and you'd learn more about the game if you went outside and took a s**t in a public swimming pool.
And still less awkward than Roaming Brian.

She’s awful at her job and can’t call the game. You can’t seem to deal with that. It’s as simple as that. Furthermore if people don’t want to listen to a woman calling the game, that’s also their prerogative, you don’t get to decide that for others.

You are arrogant, you are condescending and you are willfully ignoring the basic fact that KU is terrible simply to implant your agenda to a very harmonious footy chat board.
You want to chastise and talk down everyone who has voiced their displeasure with KU, that’s arrogant.
Oh, cut the sanctimonious bullshit. I'm here reminded of the arguments with opposition supporters who buried their head in the sand regarding whether the booing of Adam Goodes was motivated by racism. You can speak for your own motives all you like but don't be so arrogant to assume you can speak for the motives, conscious or unconcious, of everyone.

In my view, the level of vitriol and sexist language I see directed at Underwood compared to BT or Eddie McGuire, both of whom I find much, much more offensive and annoying to listen to is explained by sexism.

The sad answer is that both things can be true: Underwood is not a very good commentator - ironically, in my view because of her unnatural but understandable attempts to deliver a masculine-style commentary expected by viewers - and a decent part of the negative response to that is disproportionately amplified by sexism.

The problem with people like you is that you think pointing out examples of bias are some form of attack on your personal morality. Sorry to burst your utopian bubble but racism and sexism actually do exist, and they pervade almost every aspect of our society. A lot of it is unconcious, unintentional, lazy or disguised but that doesn't mean it's not there.

I would pay for vision and the crowd noise with the umps still miked up. Until this happens I will continue to whack the mute button for all commentary.

Oh, cut the sanctimonious bullshit. I'm here reminded of the arguments with opposition supporters who buried their head in the sand regarding whether the booing of Adam Goodes was motivated by racism. You can speak for your own motives all you like but don't be so arrogant to assume you can speak for the motives, conscious or unconcious, of everyone.

In my view, the level of vitriol and sexist language I see directed at Underwood compared to BT or Eddie McGuire, both of whom I find much, much more offensive and annoying to listen to is explained by sexism.

The sad answer is that both things can be true: Underwood is not a very good commentator - ironically, in my view because of her unnatural but understandable attempts to deliver a masculine-style commentary expected by viewers - and a decent part of the negative response to that is disproportionately amplified by sexism.

The problem with people like you is that you think pointing out examples of bias are some form of attack on your personal morality. Sorry to burst your utopian bubble but racism and sexism actually do exist, and they pervade almost every aspect of our society. A lot of it is unconcious, unintentional, lazy or disguised but that doesn't mean it's not there.
Spot on.
The comments on her often centre on personal attributes rather than professional. Her voice. Just like having a go at Gillard because she has a big a*se. So what? Straight up sexism.

Nice meltdown. You’ve drawn some very blurry lines to make your ranting point, which is incoherent at best.

And mods I expect this guy to have his post deleted as well like mine were. Being called arrogant is insulting by the standards on here, so mod away.

I hate wading into these kind of arguments …. but have you seen the amount of vitriol spewed at BT and Eddie?

They’re all widely viewed as pretty lousy …. but to suggest Kellie cops more vitriol than the other two - I don’t think that’s quite correct.

In fact, I reckon BT wins this year’s “I can’t stand person x” award by the length of the Randwick straight.

And it’s probably well deserved.

Spot on.
The comments on her often centre on personal attributes rather than professional. Her voice. Just like having a go at Gillard because she has a big a*se. So what? Straight up sexism.
Who was commentating on Gillards arse? That must be some deep reading you were doing to find that sort of content, sounds made up.

Spot on.
One of the few times I would ever disagree with you KC.
Her voice does spoil the footy for me. I am not sexist. I also don't like Eddie's arrogance and BT's antics.
I taught women in TAFE for 17 years and my classes were very popular. I am not sexist. I have taught aboriginals, foreigners. I am not anything but someone who expects to receive respect and always gives respect whether you are a women or a man, have alternate sex inclining's, rich or poor, educated or not, I treat people with respect and expect to receive the same.

They say that racism (a form of discrimination which has many forms) is not determined by what people say or think, but is determined by the reaction of the target of that perceived discrimination. If I am sitting in my loungeroom watching the footy and I don't like a commentator for whatever reason, then I am not being discriminatory. ie not sexist if it is a women.

I hate wading into these kind of arguments …. but have you seen the amount of vitriol spewed at BT and Eddie?

They’re all widely viewed as pretty lousy …. but to suggest Kellie cops more vitriol than the other two - I don’t think that’s quite correct.

In fact, I reckon BT wins this year’s “I can’t stand person x” award by the length of the Randwick straight.

And it’s probably well deserved.
On the Sydney forums maybe but visit a few Victorian clubs after a game and you'll see his garbage is quite well received south of the border.

Technology is not my strength, so it'll take me the rest of the season to work out, but there's a way now to sync the radio with the TV, apologies if this is old news.

I listened to ABC for game Saturday as I was working, commentary was excellent.

unless it's Adam Papalia or Anthony Hudson, I'll be doing this from now on, or more accurately when I figure out how to do it.

Technology is not my strength, so it'll take me the rest of the season to work out, but there's a way now to sync the radio with the TV, apologies if this is old news.

I listened to ABC for game Saturday as I was working, commentary was excellent.

unless it's Adam Papalia or Anthony Hudson, I'll be doing this from now on, or more accurately when I figure out how to do it.
I just mute. Can't bear any of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back